LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » steroids for hives?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: steroids for hives?
backintherain
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14385

Icon 1 posted      Profile for backintherain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm in day 3 of being completely covered with hives. The regular doctor prescribed me 5 days worth of prednisone, but I've read that use of steroids is very bad for lyme due to suppression of the immune system. I stopped all antibiotics and supplements, so I'm afraid of unleashing the lyme now. I don't want my immune system to take a break!

Is five days of steroids ok, just to get rid of the hives? I'm not sure if it's worth it, but I don't know what else to do.

And I don't know what caused the allergy. I thought it was mold or B12, but now I'm suspecting Suprax. When will it be safe to be on antibiotics again?

Posts: 227 | From Northern CA (bitten in Illinois) | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

Call your LLMD.

Especially since you've stopped all your abx, steroids could make lyme blossom and much harder to treat. Even ONE steroid shot or pill can cause some real damage from the lyme.

Is this a life-threatening situation? If so, of course, steroids may be the only way. But you need protection that only a LLMD would be able to guide you on.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

http://www.ilads.org/lyme_disease/B_guidelines_12_17_08.pdf

Dr. Burrascano'sTreatment Guidelines (2008)

P. 4:

. . .

More severe illness also results from other causes of weakened defenses, such as from severe stress, immunosuppressant medications, and severe intercurrent illnesses.

This is why steroids and other immunosuppressive medications are absolutely contraindicated in Lyme. This also includes intraarticular steroids.

. . . .

From page 12:

Excerpt:

. . .

More evidence has accumulated indicating the severe detrimental effects of the concurrent use of immunosuppressants including steroids in the patient with active B. burgdorferi infection.

Never give steroids or any other immunosuppressant to any patient who may even remotely be suffering from Lyme, or serious, permanent damage may result, especially if given for anything greater than a short course.

If immunosuppressive therapy is absolutely necessary, then potent antibiotic treatment should begin at least 48 hours prior to the immunosuppressants.

. . . .

===============

http://www.lymenet.de/literatur/steroids.htm

Antibiotics and Steroids

by John Drulle, M.

Excerpt:

. . .

Corticosteroids can last in the body for months, usually around 6 months. In many bacterial infections such as LD, damage can be done.

. . . .

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
backintherain
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14385

Icon 1 posted      Profile for backintherain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you! I've been sitting here staring at the first pill wondering if I'm desperate enough to take it. But this isn't life threatening; just really really itchy.
Posts: 227 | From Northern CA (bitten in Illinois) | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree that you should call your lyme doc and ask if you can take this med. I wouldn't take it if I were you.

Docs always give prednisone for hives. I had hives a lot in my lyme days. Before lyme, I only had them once. What's up with that?

Anyway, the prednisone gave me blurred vision so I couldn't even drive. So, dermatologist doc told me to take benedryl instead.

I took so much benedryl in the years I treated my lyme disease, I should have had stock in the company!

I also noticed that rough material made it worse, so I just wore the softest clothing I had. Dermatologist also gave me some anti-itch cream to use. I put it on constantly. It helped a little.

So, I survived all-body hives for months until I found out what the offender was.

Hope this helps you. I know how you are feeling. Send me a private message if you want to talk more about hives and what caused my various episodes.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-

Along the lines of what TF says about soft fabrics, all cotton is best. Synthetic fibers will be hot and not allow air circulation.

----

Bendadryl sounds like a reasonable option.

Be sure whatever cream you might use is NOT a steroid cream. Even creams can get into the system and be detrimental to lyme patients.

----

If you have a health market you might ask them about Stinging Nettle capsules as that can help calm an allergic reaction for me.

----

For topical application:

Aloe gel (not with oil in it, though) can be soothing. Keep it in the fridge for that nice cooling touch. As long as you can keep the hives covered with aloe, they won't itch as much. You might even cover them with an aloe-moistened gauze or band-aid.

---

www.vitacost.com/Lily-of-the-Desert-99-Aloe-Vera-Gelly

Lily of the desert 99% ALoe Vera Gelly in a 4 oz. tube. It's organic, too. At most health markets.

---

www.sting-kill.com

You might also check out "Sting Kill" - topical application: wipes or a capsule-like tube with a swab that you break open. It numbs the skin with benzocaine.

I would not use it on any skin that is open but if the skin is not, you might try it on one small area first. Keep the cotton tube around - it's good for a few hours if you keep the swab covered and moist.

=======

If at anytime, your breathing becomes labored or your heart beat does a dance, go to the ER. There are some emergency treatments that do not involve steroids.

Do not start back on Suprax - or any other abx in the same family - until you talk with your LLMD.

Also, do go over recent exposures that might be the key such as mold or a new food (or ingredient in food). Even a new toothpaste, or exposure to paint fumes, etc.

========

From: The One Earth Herbal Sourcebook (Tillotson, et.al.)

http://oneearthherbs.squarespace.com/diseases/hives-and-angioedema.html

Hives

-

dguy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dguy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would not call it hives, but I get terrible itching too as part of my herx cycle. Rather than steroids, I apply a topical creme such as Lanacane. The itch doesn't go away, but it becomes tolerable.
Posts: 727 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
paulieinct
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17514

Icon 1 posted      Profile for paulieinct     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Applying ice packs to the skin can help with intense itching.

--------------------
Sick since at least age 6, now 67. Decades of misdiagnosis. Numerous arthritic, neuro, psych, vision, cardiac symptoms. Been treating for 7 years, incl 8 mos on IV. Bart was missed so now treating that.

Posts: 765 | From nw ct | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
backintherain
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14385

Thank you all for the advice! I'm finding the itching manageable with benedryl and distraction.
I'm also trying quercetin.

Next up: oatmeal bath.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement