LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Supplements and Herx Reaction - Is This Possible??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Supplements and Herx Reaction - Is This Possible??
ugagal
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ugagal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can supplements cause herxing? A few days ago I started taking the supplements recommended by my LLMD and last night I woke up drenched in sweat,my eyes hurting like someone was trying to push them out from the inside, body aches, and severe headache.

I have not yet started my antibiotic treatment so I'm not familiar with herxing. Does this sound like what could be happening?

--------------------
My comments on this site are not intended to be taken as medical advice as I'm not a physician.

Posts: 206 | From Georgia | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes depending on the supplements. What supplements are you taking?

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ugagal
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ugagal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Terry,

I'm taking the following:
CoenzymeQ10
Alpha Lipoic Acid
N Acetyl L Cysteine
Glutamine
Paleomeal
Probiotic

I added them slowly over a few days until I was eventually taking them all. I have been taking them all for 3 days now.

--------------------
My comments on this site are not intended to be taken as medical advice as I'm not a physician.

Posts: 206 | From Georgia | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ugagal,
Several things that you are taking could be causing die-off and/or cleansing reactions.

The paleomeal is a whey powder. According to the info on paleomeal, it is an antifungal and boosts the immune system. Whey has also been shown to increase glutathione. Glutathione can increase detoxification. Many with chronic lyme probably have depleted glutathione so once your body gets it, detoxification of long held toxins may be initiated.

NAC boosts glutathione. Alpha lipoic acid is a metal chelator but does a lot of other things too. You may need something on board to bind heavy metals since both NAC and ALA may chelate them.

Probiotics will help re-balance your gut flora. If they are out of whack (and they often are in people who are sick), you may have a die off of the bad bacteria which can make you feel sick.

You may need to back down on dosage if you get really sick from the supplements but you should call your doctor and ask for advice.

Terry
I'm not a doctor

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

Did you start these all at once, at the max dose?

Many lyme patients are very sensitive and - through trial and error - have found that it's best to begin a supplement alone - at low dose and then wait a day or several before introducing another one.

NAC can cause some "die-off" reactions but it is probably the most important supplement from the standpoint of its ability to protect the liver from meds you will taking soon.

Glutamine can be very tricky. Just the right amount can coat the stomach. But too much can create anxiety as it can convert to glutamic acid and too much for lyme patients can cause neuro over-excitability. You might cut down on that and see if that helps.

CoQ 10 can also be a bit stimulating.

I hope by backing up and taking it slowly that this will work out for you. Good luck.

==============

You can read more about some of these support measures in this book, by an ILADS member LLMD:

http://tinyurl.com/6lq3pb (through Amazon)

THE LYME DISEASE SOLUTION (2008)

- by Kenneth B. Singleton , MD; James A. Duke. Ph.D. (Foreword)

You can read more about it here and see customer reviews.

Web site: www.lymedoctor.com

-=======

www.vrp.com

Vitamin Resource Products is a great place to learn more, too. In their search bar, you can pull down from products to articles.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ugagal
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18471

Thanks Terry and Keebler for the information and advice. My LLMD just told me to start taking them but he did not give me a specific schedule to follow regarding ramping up or when to start each one.

I did try to start slowly by introducing one or two per day until I was taking all of them daily.
I think I will back off a bit and try again as I'm not sure my body is doing a good job of handling all the supplements at once. (as evidenced by the terrible eye pain/pressure and body aches I'm experiencing)

Terry mentioned possibly adding something which binds heavy metals....any suggestions? I realize that you all are not doctors but I also realize that many of you have very valuable experiences from which I can learn. This is all so new to me.

--------------------

ugagal
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18471

I ordered the Lyme Disease Solution Book Keebler!
Thanks for the recommendation.

--------------------

luvs2ride
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 8090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvs2ride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ugagal,

When I first began NAC, I followed the instructions on the bottle which was 3 a day. That was 1800mg and I herxed badly. My doctor said "too much detox. back down to 1 a day" I did and things calmed down.

I also take chlorella now which binds the metals in the gut and carries them on out the body. Chlorella added to your regime should help.

When you first begin supplements, you may have big reactions and they can feel like things are getting worse, but really the body is beginning to expel the offenders. You do need to be careful not to approach it to strong.

Slow and steady over a long period of time (did I mention l-o-n-g) is much better than Fast and Furious which can get you into a heap of trouble.

Good luck.

--------------------
When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, there will be Peace.

Posts: 3038 | From america | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ugagal
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18471

Thanks Luvs@ride. I think you are right and my approach to starting the supplements was toooo aggressive for my system! I will check with my LLMD and see if he thinks it would be ok to add chlorella to the supplement plan.

I have had days in the past where the Lyme would make me feel bad, but this feeling is different.
The supplements seem to be making me feel like I've been run over by a mack truck.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement