LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » PET Scan for Brain....Anyone?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: PET Scan for Brain....Anyone?
painted turtle
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for painted turtle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone gotten a PET scan for the brain?

My neurologist wants to check this.

Any thoughts on the relevance or accuracy of a PET, especially as compared to a SPECT?

--------------------
www.lymefire.blogspot.com

Posts: 855 | From United States of Mind | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ugagal
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ugagal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just had a PET scan this week and it was ordered by my LLMD. He feels sure I have Lyme Encephalopathy and it is my understanding that he is using the brain PET scan to help measure its severity. Don't have the results yet.

--------------------
My comments on this site are not intended to be taken as medical advice as I'm not a physician.

Posts: 206 | From Georgia | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my brother-in-law NOT dx with lyme disease had one done.

he was 1st diagnosed with: frontal lobe temporal dementia by PET scan; then changed to bipolar...may have been changed again.

i feel too he has chronic lyme but have never pursued this because he is so manic depressive and has a large amount of guns/rifle collection!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SPECT scan is much cheaper and I think there is more medical literature to support its interpretation.

If at all possible Columbia in New York or possibly Kansas University are the best places for a SPECT. I have heard that KU has a 3 dimensional scanner which is very advanced technology.

If your neuro is not Lyme literate even if the test is done at Columbia and is abnormal you might get the usual comments such as, "SPECT scans are functional tests and are not diagnostic."

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
painted turtle
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for painted turtle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did have a SPECT done at Kansas that supported info for my LLMD but I can't afford LLMD anymore and am not actively treating the lyme disease....I get the sense after a certain amount of time it's best to stop the antibiotics because it is merely chasing the stuff into cyst form and creating other imbalances.

The Neuro is aware of my Lyme and has been with me since diagnosis in 2005, but really seems to think MS is possible so wants to do MRI first and PET to check for Alzheimers, Parkinson's type ugliness due to my continued memory and cognitive problems.

My vision has been bad and lots of other things to suggest to him MS, but we have gone down this road before and at this point,

I truly don't know what to believe or what to do.

It's hard to imagine succumbing to this quality of life I have gotten used to.

My neuro observed that he thinks I am getting worse and I didn't think so, I thought I am just journaling the symptoms so have a better idea and ability to express what is going on.

Lyme and MS are so similar I don't know how anyone would really tell them apart anyway.

I did antibiotics for approx two years and they got me a long way but at this point, really,

I'm completely on my own with it and am only seeing neuro because he treats the migraines and is covered.

Thanks for the feedback all....any further would be appreciated.

The only thing is I didn't know you can get joint pain with MS.

--------------------
www.lymefire.blogspot.com

Posts: 855 | From United States of Mind | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement