LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Alternatives to Sugar-Free gum?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Alternatives to Sugar-Free gum?
Wonko
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18318

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Wonko     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was just reading the thread about avoiding sugar free gum and art. sweeteners, which I have been doing for about a year now.

I was wondering if anyone knows of natural sugar free products to replace gum?

I am also an ex smoker, just shy of my one year since quitting. I dearly miss gum, esp. when haunted by the old desire to smoke.

Also, I like the breath-freshening aspect of gum. I never liked regular sugar gum, as it made my mouth feel less clean.

Any ideas are much appreciated!

Posts: 455 | From Was in PA, then MD, now in the Midwest | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiramisu
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15082

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tiramisu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've wondered this, too. But I can't figure any alternatives except Double Mint, Big Red, etc.

Anyone?

Posts: 175 | From SW PA | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feelfit
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
peelu dental chewing gum. Vitacost.com the peppermint and cinnamon are good. The falvor doesn't last as long as the poision Gums (EXTRA). But you can get a pretty good chew for about 20 minutes.

Then if you still want to be chewing, you have to get a new piece.

Feelfit

Posts: 3975 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feelfit
Member # 12770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
xlear spry gum spearmint also at vitacost. Gets good reviews, I have not tried this.
Posts: 3975 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you try your local health food store? They should have healthy alternatives there.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
swachsler
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18155

Icon 1 posted      Profile for swachsler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wonko, I just wanted to say . . . Wooohooo! Congratulations on one year off smoking!

Rock on!

I'm an ex-smoker, too.

I also always used to looooove gum.

Have you tried chewing natural wax-type stuff? Is there a good, big health food store near you where you could ask about non-sugar things you can chew?

I don't know if you live near it, but if you are in an area with natural Wintergreen, you can pick the leaves and chew them. Mmm, minty.

It's not gum, but....

I hope you find something good and gummy!

Oh, one more thing: If you can find natural raw honey or if there are beekeepers in your area, and you can find the kind with the COMB in, you can chew on the natural honeycomb. That is heavenly, and you can just chew it endlessly.

Posts: 223 | From Western Mass. | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nutmeg
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7250

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nutmeg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spry gum is pretty good. It's sweetened with xylitol.

I usually get peppermint, which I really like, but have also tried the fruit flavor--it tastes sort of like what I remember Juicy Fruit tasting like.

I didn't care for the green tea flavor at all, and didn't try the cinnamon.

Spry comes in a jar of 100 pieces and also a pack of about 10 pieces.

Flavor is fleeting, but it helps my teeth feel cleaner.

Nutmeg

Posts: 386 | From WA state | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeloco
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FOR SOMEONE WHO GAVE UP SMOKING, CONGRATULATIONS!
I'D CHEW ANY GUM YOU DESIRE!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeHerx001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sorry all the sugar free stuff I know of tastes terrible or has sugar alcohols ( not that bad)

I chew stride because it has the least amount of aspartame in it.

The others (orbit) and the like are loaded with that stuff UHH

Posts: 2905 | From New England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement