LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Can mushrooms influence Lyme symptoms?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Can mushrooms influence Lyme symptoms?
Wonko
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18318

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Wonko     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First of all, thank you for being a safe place for asking questions that I can't ask anywhere else.

As the subject states, I'm curious if anyone knows of, or has experienced, common mushrooms exacerbating symptoms?

In particular, I get a stomach ache in my lower abdomen, that my LLMD thinks is from Bart. When I was at my most sick, I would get this everyday no matter what I ate. Now, 4+ months into treatment, I get it far less often.

Since before treatment, I've avoided mushrooms for years because it would make this stomach ache appear.

I'm curious, since this is a distinct uncomfortable ache, if the stomach ache I used to get from mushrooms could in any way be related to the stomach ache I've been getting from Lyme/Bart?

I know this is a strange question. Since I don't recall the bite, I often wonder how long I've actually had Lyme. So sometimes I look back and think about odd medical issues in my past and get curious.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Posts: 455 | From Was in PA, then MD, now in the Midwest | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jt345
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi

Mushrooms have never bothered me. But we are all different. Fallow what Your body is telling You. Only You know what is going on inside.

Be as well as you can be today
appleseed

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feelfit
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mushrooms do have medicinal properties. I don't know about the common grocery store white mushroom....but other mushrooms sure do.

Cordyceps for example, mataki, etc. there is a posibility that the white mushroom was acting as a killing agent.....who knows.....

I am a avid wild mushroom hunter in the Spring in MI. and I am sorely going to miss it this year! The wild leeks, asparagus and fiddleheads too......sorrry to get off track [Frown]

Posts: 3975 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adamm
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why would you want to eat mushrooms?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie tony z
Member # 5130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymie tony z     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah well,

The only thing I know about eating mushrooms is that my grandaddy on my mothers side died from eating them...

He used to pick his own when he lived in Sicily!

Then he came to America and OOOOPPPSSS!!!

Like the guy above said....Why would you want to eat the dang fungii anyway!

zman

--------------------
I am not a doctor...opinions expressed are from personal experiences only and should never be viewed as coming from a healthcare provider. zman

Posts: 2527 | From safety harbor florida(origin Cleve., Ohio | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Wonko...

I eat mushrooms a good bit and don't have a problem. I also ate them before getting Lyme... and had no problem.

I don't guess that helps in answering the questions you have.. but not sure how to otherwise.

But, I use to be able to eat corn before Lyme.. and now I can't. Stomach problems.

Soooooooooooo.. who knows? Is that the same concept?

Sorry not much help here.

[Big Grin]

Yo feel...

They actually let our kids out of school in MI to hunt morels. It was called Morel Day.

That was one of the strangest things I'd seen at the time... but then I had lived in the south for so long... you know...

Where everyone and everything is always so "normal".

HA!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feelfit
Member # 12770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any experienced mushroom gatherer would not consume a mushroom before he/she identified it in a field book and with an experienced myocologist.

Even after that, smart mushroom hunters will do spore prints and field guide identifications. This takes a long time to learn.

it is usually folks of oriental, german or mediteranian decent who die of mushroom poisioning. They come to this Country and *think* that it is the same mushroom that they have consumed in their homeland and end up dying in their ignorance.

Never, never eat wild mushrooms without a sure identification.

TC yes! Morels are the thing In MI. They should be popping up within the next few weeks.

Feelfit

Posts: 3975 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

I usually feel much better with mushrooms, especially portabella as they contain good protein.

Never had a problem and I have also done very well with some medicinal mushroom supplements, especially cordyceps and lion's mane.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abxnomore
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abxnomore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mushrooms are a fungus and are moldy. The only thing that comes to mind is that you may of had a yeast/candida problem and were feeding it and that caused the stomach pain.

Eating mushrooms, especially dried ones, are off limits when you are treating candida, except the medicinal supplement types that boost immune function.

Posts: 5191 | From Lyme Zone | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
astriapage
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17120

Icon 1 posted      Profile for astriapage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love to eat mushrooms and eat them as often as I can, and I hope they don't bother me-I never get a stomach ache,

It is so funny though-I am fascinated with the wild ones, and am constantly told-don't eat that!

I never would, but would love to be able to know enough where I could eat them wild, or grow my own.

I seem to be fascinated though with anything in nature, and am constantly bringing things home-I just found some plants on the beach, and potted them in beachsand, I hope they grow.

This is after I brought home fiddler crabs, and they died.

I always wanted to be a biologist. Man like Tincup, I can ramble on and on....

Posts: 303 | From Jekyll Island, GA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I fed my daughter mushrooms in everything she ate when she was 3, to boost her immune system.

She had gotten to the point she hurt to walk and refused.

Took her to Dr. and he found the low blood count.

He told me to take her home and do everything I could to get it up and come back next week.

So I fed her mushrooms.

Mostly Shiitake, I got her white count up from the low of 2 to normal.

Dr.s were ready to do a bone marrow on her if I could not get it up.

He asked me how I did it, he just shook his head.

I cooked, chopped, pureed, in everything and with the yogurt she ate it worked. I know they work.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nenet
Member # 13174

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nenet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mushrooms can have many different medicinal effects, depending on the person, the ailments, and the mushroom.

I was just researching about a Family of fungi call Tuberaceae (includes the truffles), and was amazed to discover what researchers have found about them, including from one 205-page research paper:

"Molecular species of ceramides from the ascomycete truffle Tuber indicum", Chemistry and Physics of Lipids (2004)

"...Recently, some have also been reported to show

antinociceptive (Koyama et al., 2002),

neurotrophic (Kwon et al., 2003),

antitumor and immunostimulatory (Natori et al., 1994),

anti-phospholipase A2 (Gao et al., 2003d),

cholesteryl ester transfer protein inhibitory (Venkateswarlu et al., 1998) activity.

Because of their important biological functions, they have given rise to considerable research interest. The present communiction deals with the isolation and structural elucidation of the ceramide molecular species present in the fungus."

Full 205-paged pdf report here:

Molecular species of ceramides from the ascomycete truffle Tuber indicum

--------------------
Dr. C's Western Blot Explanation

Lymenet Success Stories

ILADS Treatment Guidelines

Medical & Scientific Literature on Lyme

"Long-Term Antibiotic Therapy Improves Persistent Symptoms Associated with Lyme Disease"

Posts: 1176 | From KY | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abxnomore
Member # 18936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abxnomore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wonko said he ate common mushrooms which are basically devoid of nutrition and are full of mold.

There is a big difference between medicinal mushrooms and common mushrooms. If you ever read

how common mushrooms are grown, most of us would probably never eat them again but they have NONE of the benefits of medicinal mushrooms.

Posts: 5191 | From Lyme Zone | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement