LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Any success with Low-dose Naltrexone?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Any success with Low-dose Naltrexone?
kylasrain
Member # 12031

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kylasrain   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just started it about a month ago. The information I read sounds very promising.

Has anyone noticed any IMPROVEMENT on it? I also started tindamax and have noticed improvement with my back pain. Some times I wonder how I'm supposed to tell whats working when I'm on so many meds!?

--------------------
http://kylahikeson.blogspot.com

Posts: 97 | From CA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D Bergy
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for D Bergy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LDN is a very subtle treatment and it may take six months or more to notice any improvement. It just makes your immune system work more normally. This certainly should help in the long run.

I use LDN for Crohn's disease. I am very satisfied with my results.

I would ask your doctor if you should stop taking LDN if you get any Flu symptoms. It appears that this Swine Flu can be deadly if your immune system over responds to the virus. Since LDN is an immune system booster, it may not be a good idea to continue using it when infected with this particular strain of Flu.

Dan

Posts: 2919 | From Minnesota | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wellll.... LDN isn't automatically an immune booster- it evens out the immune system so that if you're making too much of something it'll downregulate it and vice versa. Or at least that 's the theory.

--------------------
Symptom Free!!! Thank you all!!!!

Find me at Lymefriends, I post under the same name.
diet: http://lymefriends.ning.com/group/healthylowcarbrecipes
Homemade Probiotics thread
Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D Bergy
Member # 9984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for D Bergy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is debate on whether it boosts or normalizes the immune system. But if infected with Swine Flu, a weaker or malfunctioning immune system would be preferable since it is the normal immune response that is getting people in trouble.

What I did not mention was the Flu I had last Summer. I get the Flu every so often and normally do not even miss work. I rarely get sick enough where I cannot function.

This Summer was different. I got the Flu and was having a hard time standing. I shook so bad I thought I was going to shake myself apart. I finally went to the doctor. I never go to a GP unless I have no alternative. I thought I might have West Nile virus or something more serious than the Flu.

No virus was identified, but my Uncle got the same illness but never was as sick as I was.

My Liver enzymes were high, which is not typical for the Flu. Liver stress is not something I have ever had.

Now there could be any number of reasons for this. The improved immune response from LDN is just one possibility. I do think it is something that should be discussed with your prescribing Doctor.

As a side note, I do not think MMS should be used for Cold or Flu viruses either, for similar reasons. The kill off is too intense for the body. I have done it before, and it is better to let it run its course.

Dan

Posts: 2919 | From Minnesota | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeHerx001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
llmd wants me on this
Posts: 2905 | From New England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do a search here- there are a lot of threads on Lymenet about it, with multiple users' experiences. Some were negative, some were positive.

--------------------

Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been on LDN for a couple months. Seems to be helping with pain.

I didn't have much joint pain until I started treating Lyme aggressively. NSAIDs weren't helping, can't take narcotic pain relievers because I have to work. Main symptoms are neurological, similar to MS. LDN has helped people with MS. That's why my doc had me try LDN.

Had some crazy vivid dreams at first but that's for side effects.

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nutmeg
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7250

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nutmeg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm doing well on LDN too. I've been on it for two months.

The crazy dreams have subsided.

I sleep better and have less joint pain.

Nutmeg

Posts: 386 | From WA state | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Member # 9128

I just stopped taking it after almost a year, because I felt like it was contributing to my insomnia. but it could be that something else is doing that.

--------------------

Herbal Links Thread

n.northernlights
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17934

Icon 1 posted      Profile for n.northernlights     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had side effects at the beginning, like headache and low blood pressure, but that went away.
It really lowered the thyroid antibodies and got my TSH up from 0 (docotor alsoways wanted me to lower thyroid meds down and get me hypo jut because of this stupid low TSH, whereas only ft4 and ft3 are relevant)
Can't say anything about flu or colds becauese I have not had any.

Posts: 366 | From Europe | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeHerx001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
so maria, do you still have insomnia?

I take xanax, benadryl, ambien to sleep,

ocasionally methocarbinol too!

Posts: 2905 | From New England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Member # 9128

yeah, my insomnia comes from several different sources, I think- hormonal stuff (high cortisol at night, I think), thyroid issues, poor nighttime sleep, and drinking coffee all day to compensate. It doesnt' help that I haven't been living in one place for months now so I'm constantly not in control of my own sleep schedule.

So I'm trying to eliminate a few of these and tried cutting out the LDN to see if sleep gets better. I 'm not sure if that helped or not, I'm also using 1/4 of a klonopin to try to get into stage 4 sleep and it seems to help without side effects. I'll add the LDN back in soon.

--------------------

Herbal Links Thread

lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

sounds kinda like alot of us MariaA,

Cant really pin point it, but its basically a hypothalmic stress imbalance.

Our bodies are just always stressed!

lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

thanks for all your responses it sounds milld bu powerfull
Lymeorsomething
Member # 16359

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeorsomething     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
does it help with fatigue at all?

--------------------
"Whatever can go wrong will go wrong."

Posts: 2062 | From CT | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kimwg
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kimwg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It seems to me that LDN would be good to take once antibiotic treatment is ended after Lyme symptoms are mostly gone -- perhaps a well-modulated immune system would be more effective in keeping any remaining bacteria at bay so that the infection could not reestablish itself...

--------------------
Wildlife biologist working in tropics since 1997; tick bites in Nicaragua in March 2007, started getting sick May 2007; diagnosed with Lyme based on serological testing in Jan 2009; treatment starting Feb 2009. Wish me luck!

Posts: 116 | From Seattle | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it would be good during treatment because it helps with inflammation, pain and normalizing immune system function. All things that are a problem while in treatment.

Killing bugs causes inflammation which causes a lot of symptoms. Pain is also higher while herxing, at least for me.

Some of us have over-reactive immune systems. I have tons of allergies which are partly related to my immune system dysregulation. My sister developed lupus while on abx for lyme. LDN should help normalize the immune system.

I've heard a few people mention that it helps with fatigue but haven't done a lot of research on that aspect. Guessing, I would say it depends on the person and the reason for their fatigue. If a person has a lot of pain and it helps reduce pain, that could help with fatigue. Lots of pain is very fatiguing.

Allergies can also produce fatigue. If it helps reduce allergies, that may reduce fatigue.

I'll be staring on LDN soon. I really hope it helps. I'm also thinking about trying to find someone to prescribe it for my husband's psoriasis.

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nutmeg
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7250

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nutmeg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lymeorsomething,

It's helped a little with my fatigue. Part of it is I'm sleeping a little more restfully, so my body has a chance to do a little repair during better quality sleep.

Nutmeg

Posts: 386 | From WA state | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

this actually sounds very promising guys!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement