LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » "Lyme is an inconvenience"

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "Lyme is an inconvenience"
cactus
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cactus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was in and out of the hospital this week, and now that I'm home, can't get this incident out of my mind.

Nurse was putting in an IV, in a hurry, she was filling in for someone else.

My room phone rang while she was doing it and she answered while working on my arm - and things got a bit messy.

She asked me if I had any "blood diseases" and I told her that I have Lyme and Babs, plus other tick-borne illnesses.

She said she was not worried about those.

She did go on to ask if I just have arthritis pain from Lyme, and I tried to tell her that it was much more than that,

that I'd originally been diagnosed with MS but it's Lyme.

Thought that would illustrate the seriousness of Lyme.

Her answer was:

"Thank God it's not MS - that can kill you. Lyme is just an inconvenience."

I was in a lot of pain, or would have been more proactive about education.

At the moment, I was not capable of saying more, although my mouth opened -

and then the pain clamped down again and I closed my mouth to stifle the agony.

Now I find myself concerned that she was exposed to my blood, and is not aware of the dangers.

And yes, I think her statement was ridiculous but she is only parroting what has been the stance of this particular hospital.

This disease stinks.

--------------------
�Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?� - A.A. Milne

Posts: 1987 | From No. VA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leelee
Member # 19112

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leelee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cactus, I just don't know what to say. I am hopeful that now that you are home you will continue to recover.

But, I am also saddened that your nurse hasn't been properly educated.

And, of course, you are right. Lyme is much, much more than an inconvenience.

I once had a psychiatrist tell me that I wasn't so bad off as she knew someone infected with Lyme that was in a wheelchair.

I hope you continue to heal and feel better.

--------------------
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy. Martin Luther King,Jr

Posts: 1573 | From Maryland | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cactus
Member # 7347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cactus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, LeeLee, for your kind words.

There isn't much to say.

I just needed to share what happened, somehow.

My heart aches a bit right now to think that this nurse could have been exposed to my blood -

I would not wish this on anyone.

Of course, she should be better educated,

she should not have been answering phones while putting in IVs,

or saying insensitive things to people in tremendous pain ...

and still all I can think is that she could have caught this ludicrous disease from me!

--------------------

Posts: 1987 | From No. VA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Cactus, i'm sorry you had such a bad experience. Wasn't the nurse wearing gloves while inserting your IV? She should have been!

I'm not an expert but from what I understand, Lyme cannot be transmitted from one person to another through skin contact with infected blood. If I remember correctly, the ticks saliva helps facilitate the transmission.

So please don't worry about making the nurse sick. She is more at risk of infection while walking in her own back yard. She should be more cautious next time, maybe the fact that you had an infection will make her more aware of her actions in the future.

It always makes me sad to hear how uneducated medical professionals are about Lyme. Remember, it is not their fault. We need to educate the ones we interact with. Then they can help spread the word.

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leelee
Member # 19112

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leelee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sammy:

I'm not an expert but from what I understand, Lyme cannot be transmitted from one person to another through skin contact with infected blood. If I remember correctly, the ticks saliva helps facilitate the transmission.

I believe I have read that as well. I do not think that the nurse could have been infected this way.

Please, please try not to worry. I know it is impossible not to as I can tell you are a kind, concerned person.

--------------------
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy. Martin Luther King,Jr

Posts: 1573 | From Maryland | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lakes592
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18905

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lakes592     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My god this nurse is asking for trouble. Like asking someone if they have something is precaution enough! That's like asking a stranger before you have sex, Do you have anything? and then no using a condom...

It isn't too late to educate her. Give her info when you can. Possibly even a copy of "Under our Skin" if you can. Or you can send a letter or a card. If she isn't using gloves like what I gathered she isn't just putting herself at risk but others as well. That alone should be reported!

Sorry you had to go through that. I would have wanted to say it is worse than MS see the movie "Under our Skin" and you will see how much of an inconvience it is!

--------------------
If you keep doing nothing...nothing changes!

www.underourskin.com

Posts: 579 | From NH | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeberry
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry you had to deal with this nurse. Flight attendants are trained to wear gloves when dealing with bodily fluids so I am sure this nurse was. It is not your fault she does not follow simple guidelines made for her own protection.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So sorry you've been in the hospital. You are so kind to be concerned about the nurse. I agree with you, she is only saying what she has been told.

I agree with lakes too, it isn't too late to educate her. The problem I assume is that you may not know her name or have enough information to contact her.

I don't think we know enough to say lyme or babesia can't be transmitted with skin contact via blood. We do know that both can be transmitted via transfusion.
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/51539?

This comes from an ILADS LLND who researched this through a reputable source:
Yes, you could get lyme from an infected deer's blood. If exposed to the blood you should be treated. Tell any hunter friends to wear gloves when dressing the deer.

Yes, it is safe to eat deer meat , but only if COOKED at 160 degrees.

Cactus, consider going through the ILADS site for info that you can use to educate a medical professional.

Hope you feel better soon.

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cactus
Member # 7347

Thanks, all of you.

When she asked if I had any "blood diseases" - I was surprised (shocked), and lifted my head to try to look to see if she had gloves on.

But whether she had them on or not escapes me, or maybe I couldn't see.

The pain was pretty bad at that point, and I think I gave up trying to see.

Obviously, she made some mistakes.

She was filling in while my nurse was doing compressions on the guy next door - and I didn't even catch her name.

Maybe I can send a card to thank the nurses that cared for me, and ask that it be passed along to her as well. Along with some Lyme literature?

Shaking my head at this, but very grateful for the support of you all,
Cactus

--------------------

bettyg
Unregistered

cactus, so sorry of your recent hospitalization and you're being an inconvenience to them.... HOG WASH.

i'd write the CEO of hospital and request they buy a ocpy of under our skin and have staff training with it and PUBLIC showings!!

tired, going to bed.... best wishes my dear friend [group hug] [kiss] [sleepy]

Wimenin
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15294

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wimenin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Karma....

If the nurse isnt concerned about lyme... whew... wait till Karma kicks in...

Posts: 514 | From . | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Go back there when you feel better and give her the right information. Write out your personal Lyme story and print out others. Show her that MS is a common misdiagnosis for a Lyme patient. Go set her (and the staff) straight. Show them that the "inconvenience" destroys lives and shes wrong.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement