LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Acetyl-Glutathione?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Acetyl-Glutathione?
TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone here use acetyl-glutathione? I've recently read about it in the book "The Lyme Disease Solution". He thinks it is absorbed much better than reduced glutathione and stays in the body longer.

I'm considering getting it. I'm not finding much info about it so any info would be most appreciated.

http://tinyurl.com/r3vukh
"Acetyl-glutathione is a compound that actually occurs normally in a human body. It is an analog to the more potent antioxidant, reduced glutathione (the type used intravenously)."

"Reduced glutathione is acted upon by "peptidase" enzymes almost immediately in the blood and tissues, and thus it loses its ability to
enter cells and act intracellularly. This happens in a very short period of time and thus IV glutathione, while having a remarkable impact on metabolism, is relatively short-lived."

"(Inhalation of glutathione, as mentioned above, has shown promise in chronic lung diseases and it is believed that inhalation GSH treatment along with oral acetyl-glutathione supplementation appears to work much better than inhalation alone.)"

"Acetyl-glutathione has a major advantage over other forms of GSH supplementation. At the tissue level it is very easily assimilated intracellularly and then allowed to perform its powerful antioxidant and metabolic regulatory effects without prior decomposition by peptidases."

"It has been found that acetyl-glutathione is absorbed orally and is transported to all
tissues of the body with remarkable anti-aging effects, anti-viral effects and in some studies an effect on some cancers."

Thanks for any comments or help.

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karenl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 17753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karenl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard the same but I do not know how to order it and where I can get it. It is specifically good for people with P 450 problems.
I am on a reduced glutathione.
Karen

Posts: 1834 | From US | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Al
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Al     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just started this today ; I get it from Upstate N.Y. Someone I know.
Can't comment yet on effects.

Posts: 789 | From CT, | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Karen,
The link I gave mentions that you can get it from the doc if you can't find anywhere else to get it or from a link that he shows of a company he used to be affiliated with.

I ordered some today from here.
http://store.storeymarketing.com/category.asp?cid=29&cat=1041

I have no affiliation with any of these companies.

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Thanks for the feedback Al. I'm on reduced glutathione right now. I'll be interested to see if any of us notice a difference.

I'll try to remember to come back and post once I've been on it for awhile.

Terry

karenl
Member # 17753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karenl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Terry,
thanks again. I ordered it today and also would be interested if you feel better after some weeks. We hope for the best. Karen

Posts: 1834 | From US | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice!

How does this compare to Astaxanthin? They both seem to be powerful antioxidants.

http://www.zhion.com/phytonutrients/Astaxanthin.html

Also-

ffect of astaxanthin on the hepatotoxicity, lipid peroxidation and antioxidative enzymes in the liver of CCl4-treated rats
Kang, J.-O., Kim, S.-J., Kim, H.

Astaxanthin is one of many carotenoids present in marine animals, vegetables and fruits.

Since carotenoids are known to have antioxidant properties, we tested to determine if astaxanthin could have protective effects in the CCl4-treated rat liver by activating the antioxidant system.

Astaxanthin blocked the increase of glutamate-oxalacetate transaminase (GOT) and glutamate-pyruvate transaminase (GTP) activity and thiobarbituric acid reactive substances (TBARS) in response to carbon tetrachloride (CCl4), while causing an increase in glutathione (GSH) levels and superoxide dismutase (SOD) activities in the CCl4-treated rat liver.

These results suggest that astaxanthin protects liver damage induced by CCl4 by inhibiting lipid peroxidation and stimulating the cellular antioxidant system.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

It's too early to tell for sure but yesterday I had more energy than I've had in months so that is a good sign that this version of glutathione is much more effective than reduced glutathione.

I'm also having a pretty good day today compared to normal. Not as much energy as yesterday but I'll take it. LOL

Hi Sparkle [Smile]
I don't know how they compare. I don't know much about Astaxanthin. I'll try to get a chance to look at it. Thanks for mentioning it.

I'm no expert but as I understand it, most antioxidants depend on glutathione in the cells for their recycling in the cell. Glutathione is a naturally occurring antioxidant in the body.

It is found in every cell in the body but especially the liver. Even people who can make enough of it will use it up if exposed to too many toxins or infections like borrelia that deplete it. Glutathione also plays an important role in the immune system.

Borrelia depletes glutathione. In addition, I'm trying to increase glutathione because I have methylation cycle issues which cause glutathione to be depleted.

I'm guessing that depleted glutathione is not an unusual problem for those of us with chronic lyme.
http://www.lymeinfo.net/methylationblock.html

The link given above also explains how borrelia depletes glutathione.

People with fibro and CFS type conditions are typically low in glutathione. Last time I had mine measured, my doctor at the time was very concerned because he said it was dangerous to have such low levels.

I tried transdermal gluathione (expensive) and at first noticed a difference but then nothing after that. Not unusual for transdermal according to my doctor.

I take a ton of antioxidants but my testing always show low antioxidant levels. I think the missing piece is glutathione.

Glutathione is typically very hard to take orally and get it into the cells where it can be used.

From what I've read (not sure how true it is), low glutathione levels predict shorter life span.

In any case, other antioxidants need glutathione to be recycled in the body.

Terry

[ 05-17-2009, 03:21 PM: Message edited by: TerryK ]

sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This seems good about the Acetyl-glutathione. I read good things about it but it's $75 a bottle!

It's kind of a different thing but I also had very low growth hormone levels. I had to go through all kinds of stuff to get my doctor to test for it.

When my levels were extremely low, she didn't want to give me a prescription - I had to do it through alternate methods & get the growth hormone shots & figure it out on my own.

I got re-tested & my levels were regular. I don't know why I had to go through so much crap about it... She didn't have a problem giving me pain killers - just growth hormone for some reason.

Anyway- I did buy some reduced L-glutathione & made it into a suppository with coconut oil. It was about $15 for the bottle. It was alittle uncomfortable since it burned slightly.

I then discovered that I could make a homeopathic preparation of reduced L-glut & I'm using that. This may sound alittle out there but it may work.

I didn't do any standard tests of before & after but I guess I'll know in time by how I'm feeling. It's hard to tell since I'm taking other things as well...

Just thought I'd share...

I read alot of good things about the Astaxanthin. ALA may be useful too but it can be strong & chelate mercury from the brain.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Sparkle wrote:
I then discovered that I could make a homeopathic preparation of reduced L-glut & I'm using that.

I don't understand how that would work? My understanding of homeopathy is that one is given a remedy that, if given to a healthy person, would cause the symptom that you are trying to treat. The remedy is diluted via standard homeopathic practice.

What would you be trying to treat with homeopathic glutathione? If glutathione were given to a healthy person, it should either give them no symptoms or make them feel better perhaps.

I don't know that the way homeopathy works is completely understood but that is what I understand the common explanation to be.

I'm not an expert in homeopathy though so maybe someone who is, like Truthfinder, could make a comment on this for you? She may not see this so you might want to PM her and ask her what she thinks just to be sure that homeopathic glutathione might do what you want it to do.

Growth hormone is another one that is low in people with fibromyalgia which means it is probably low in some people with lyme. Mine was low normal while my sister had very low values. I've heard it is very expensive to get the shots and insurance companies mostly won't pay for it except maybe under certain circumstances.

Back to the glutathione. I'd like to get the IV's but the expense and hassle prevent me from pursuing it. While $75 for 100 pills seems like a lot, I expect that if it works, I'll be able to cut down on some of the other detox products that I use + hopefully I'll feel better. I'm also thinking that antioxidants might actually work in me the way they are supposed to if I can get an effective level of glutathione.

Terry

SForsgren
Member # 7686

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SForsgren         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used it for several months when the book first came out. I didn't notice any big changes and eventually stopped and moved onto something different. If people report good results here, maybe I'd try it again, but for me, it didn't do much that was clear.

--------------------
Be well,
Scott

Posts: 4617 | From San Jose, CA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Thanks for reporting your experience Scott.

Not sure but I think it's possible that the lower one is in glutathione, the more difference they will notice when moving glutathione levels up. Maybe your levels are not as low as mine?? If you don't mind me asking, what dose of acetyl glutathione did you take?

Just wondering, have you taken IV glutathione and if so, have you noticed any difference with it?

Terry

SForsgren
Member # 7686

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SForsgren         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was allergic to IV Glut the few times I tried it but that was a long time ago. Your theory could be valid. Give it a go. I like a lot of what Dr. S has to say in his book. For GSH, I also would look into the one from Livon Labs.

--------------------
Be well,
Scott

Posts: 4617 | From San Jose, CA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

I know the homeopathic glutathione is kind of a kooky idea. It just came to me one day & I figured I'd try it.

After I tried the glut. suppository I had a slight herx feeling in a specific body area. I noticed when I took the homeopathic glut., I had slight herx pain in the same area about 20 minutes later.

I know that many of these remedies took years to "prove" & that the remedy is sometimes the opposite of what you you have - I don't know... antithesis or antidote, I believe it's called. But sometimes it's "like cures like"...

Just a personal note & I hope I'm not revealing too much here - I did a homeopathic therapy called "sequential therapy with homeopathy" - you take remedies to heal all the traumas you experienced in your life.

I used to smoke alot of pot when I was a teenager (I don't do it now). They considered doing drugs a trauma... One of the remedies was cannibis... in homeopathic form. When I took, it I really craved listening to music for a while.

I just thought I'd try the glutathione remedy... Doesn't seem to be doing any harm. I discussed it on a thread where Truthfinder posts. There are homeopathy, isopathy, nosodes, tautopathy, & there's one where the burn the plant & use the ashes - I forgot what that's called.

There are all kinds of weird remedies - ones of vaccines, drugs, body fluids, etc. It didn't seem to me to be a big stretch to make one from glutathione.

-----

re tautopathy -

http://www.hpathy.com/tautopathy/tautopathy.asp

excerpt-

This idea has been confirmed not only clinically by large number of homeopaths but has also been studied scientifically.

There have been studies in which potentised lead and potentised arsenic have been used to promote excretion of the same substances in cases of poisoning.

The results have shown that such use of potentised substances can help remove the symptoms caused by the toxicity, by enhancing the elimination of the toxin from the tissues.

-----

If this is the case, "to promote excretion" - perhaps homeopathic glutathione isn't a bad idea...

I also used my medical dowsing to figure out dosage & potency. I may be a nut but maybe I'm not so crazy after all...

TerryK
Member # 8552

Hi Sparkle - I hope you understand that I was not implying that you are a nut or crazy. I use some protocols that many would consider way out there but they work for me.

As I mentioned in my previous post, I don't think everything is understood about the way that homeopathy works. Perhaps a homeopathic prep of glutathione will work, but as far as I know, it's use would not fit any of the current theories of homeopathy.

To address some of your comments about homeopathy:

Like cures like is what I described in my post as far as the theory behind homeopathy. A substance given to a healthy person that produces the symptoms that you want to cure in the sick person etc..

An antidote in homeopathy is typically anything that counteracts the effect of a homeopathic rememdy. This can include coffee, electric blankets and even dental work. In general, an antidote would render a homeopathic remedy ineffective.

you wrote:
I just thought I'd try the glutathione remedy... Doesn't seem to be doing any harm.

Not all homeopathic remedies are harmless but I was mainly concerned that it might not be helpful. Glad to hear that you noted a herx reaction.

you wrote:
There are homeopathy, isopathy, nosodes, tautopathy, & there's one where the burn the plant & use the ashes - I forgot what that's called.

True, but all of these are based on giving a substance that either caused the symptoms to begin with or uses the Law of Similars (like cures like).

The homeopathic remedies that are made of ash are spagyric remedies. They still basically use the same underlying principals of homeopathy.

I have used them for several years to stimulate excretion of toxins and they have helped a lot.

re tautopathy which uses the substance that you want to excrete as a homeopathic remedy:

you wrote
If this is the case, "to promote excretion" - perhaps homeopathic glutathione isn't a bad idea...

You would not want to excrete glutathione. You would want to increase it in the cells which would be the opposite of excreting it.

I hope you see some benefits from homeopathically prepared glutathione but if not, you might consider some of the other methods of increasing it.

Many on the yasko yahoo group use nebulized glutathione and seem to indicate that it works. I'm considering it myself in conjunction with acetyl glutathione.

You could also use whey to increase glutathione or you might try taking pre-cursers such as NAC being sure to add all the things that are needed by the body to make it.

Wishing you the best in your healing journey.

Terry

sparkle7
Member # 10397

Terry - I didn't think you were implying I was crazy. I just thought some people may think that about what I was doing. I've been using medical dowsing to determine if it's useful & so far it says YES...

I trust my intuition but sometimes I'm off (just like the standard tests can be). I just got an intuitive flash that this might help. I can see what you mean by excreting vs. increasing. I'm going to think about it & study it further.

Many people do use glutathione suppositories. They are quite easy to make. I tried it & it was a bit irritating. All of the sudden, it came to me to try making a remedy out of it.

I just try to keep my costs down. IVs & nebulizers are expensive. Nebulizers can be used for other things, as well. So, the expense may be worthwhile. It's just alot to spend - especially if you find out it doesn't work or you don't really need it.

I spent alot on IVs of many things that didn't help. It's also tiresome to sit around for the drips.

I was using a whey product about 9-12 months ago & it was pretty good. I may get some again. I'd have to look up the name. I don't recall off hand.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement