LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Ladies that have gotten an IUD post-Lyme

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ladies that have gotten an IUD post-Lyme
tickled1
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 14257

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickled1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm thinking of getting an IUD and am wondering what Lymies experiences have been with them. I've never done well with birth control pills so am thinking if I do get one it should be the copper one without hormones.

When I first started treating I ran it by my LLMD and she said not a good idea right now but then never really said why. I asked another LLMD and she said it would probably be ok if I got the copper one.

Posts: 2541 | From Northeast | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many years ago I had an IUD for several years. I have had lyme for decades so I had lyme at the time but didn't know it.

I don't know if there is any connection to lyme and my difficulties with the IUD but I had to have mine removed. My doctor thought it had caused an ectopic pregnancy but it did not. Caused lots of pain and bleeding though.

Maybe the technology has changed by now?

Birth control pill is worse in my view.

Terry
I'm not a doctor

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
soleil16
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16326

Icon 1 posted      Profile for soleil16     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got one right as I was starting to slide downhill fast. I was worried about birth control becoming totally uneffective on the antibiotics that I always had to take for sinus/ear infections.

It is the BEST medical decision I ever made. You never have to take a pill or really even think about it. I haven't had a period or PMS for over a year, which has been really helpful since my body feels terrible enough as it is.

Posts: 236 | From Washington | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

I can't comment specifically, but Copper might be better, too, than any petroleum/plastic product that can be connected with cancer.

more about plastics/petroleum products and the effect on our health at www.rachelsfriends.org

-

[ 05-23-2009, 12:57 AM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeberry
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would listen to your first LLMD. Been there done that - they are not safe and don't let anyone tell you they are new and improved. I had a miserable experience and it was not at all a healthy experience more like a medical nightmare.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So there are ones that are JUST copper without the hormones?

Did those of you who had an adverse reaction have it to the ones with hormones or the copper one?

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lakes592
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18905

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lakes592     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DONT DO IT!!! IUD's have copper and are proven to cause chronic yeast infections.

I would have one every month around my period for 10 months it was ****!

I did some reasearch and found out about the IUD connection.

The Gynecologist played dumb with me.

I am sure they must know about this but don't bother to mention it!

As soon as it was removed no more yeast infections...

Take Care,
Ann

P.S. I have two children both of which were planned before I contracted Lyme. I was married for 10 years and we used withdrawl and I have friends that do as well. If done correctly it works!

--------------------
If you keep doing nothing...nothing changes!

www.underourskin.com

Posts: 579 | From NH | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeberry
Unregistered

Withdrawal does not work but you can read up on natural methods of birth control.

I had a total of 3 IUDs. One was a Copper 7. They all caused me problems some worse than others. I was young and foolish at the time so my parents and doctors (Kaiser) kept wanting me to get IUDs. If I had a daughter knowing what I know now I would try to have her use a more natural method of birth control.

lymeberry
Unregistered

Check this forum on the subject:

http://tinyurl.com/q3xcxf

soleil16
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16326

Icon 1 posted      Profile for soleil16     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe check out mirena as well. It is not copper and has a low dose of localized hormones. Just another option.
Posts: 236 | From Washington | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeberry
Unregistered

Here is another link for you to read as part of your research.

http://tinyurl.com/pu2lfr

I am sure your LLMD had a good reason for suggesting you don't get one.

Blackstone
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9453

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blackstone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the US, there are two major IUDs, the Mirena low-dose hormonal IUD, and the ParaGard/NovaT copper IUD.

The Mirena has less hormones, and less chance of side effects than other hormonal methods. However, if you are sensitive hormonally, they may not be such a good idea. Many women have few problems with them, but if your LLMD suggests nothing to alter your hormones, it would be wise to avoid these.

The ParaGuard is comprised entirely of copper(The active ingredient, anyway) and has no hormones at all. Thus, it has none of the "hormone based" side effects found in hormonal contraceptives. However, if you have a bleeding problem be sure to talk to your doctor as it can make periods heavier for the first few months. After that the body normally adjusts Copper IUDs can stay in for up to 10 years.

IUDs have a bad reputation since there were some seriously bad designs present in the 60s-80s. Those have been totally phased out, but the stigma remains.

If you're lucky enough to live in Europe, or are willing to go to Canada, there are other models available as well.

Posts: 690 | From East coast, USA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeberry
Unregistered

Lucky? One IUD gave me a PID yet that did not stop Kaiser from giving me two more IUDs after that. I was in my twenties and did not know any better.

Often times doctors are more concerned with zero population growth than the health of their patients.

[ 05-23-2009, 05:25 AM: Message edited by: lymeberry ]

lakes592
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18905

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lakes592     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What are the natural methods that you are referring too?

--------------------
If you keep doing nothing...nothing changes!

www.underourskin.com

Posts: 579 | From NH | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
c3mom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16412

Icon 1 posted      Profile for c3mom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have an IUD and have had no problems what so
ever. I have a ten year IUD and 5 yrs have passed. I can't remeber if its no hormones or low dose.

I'm surprised to read the comments - but not to discredit. I thought most of the "kinks" had been worked out.

Just my 2 cents

Posts: 262 | From ohio | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blackstone
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9453

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blackstone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lymeberry, I'm sorry for your difficulties. The copper 7 was one of the IUDs released years ago that I mentioned and thus was pulled from the market once it was known to be dangerous. The NovaT/ParaGard available today bears little resemblance, aside from also being made of copper, and has a much more impressive safety record. This is one reason it has been on the market for such a long time, and also why it is taking ages for other IUDs from Europe to come over here - people are being extremely cautious.

I doubt that physicians are really concerned with zero population growth, at least any more so than their patients. At the time that you experienced problems, they probably couldn't make the connection between your issues and the IUD, although the community wised up rather quickly and had those models removed once the data showed their danger. They were simply the "in" thing for people wanting birth control, and were seen as a great alternative to the high-dose pills that were available at the time.

As far as natural methods, do you mean things like natural family planning and the like? Where a woman takes her basal body temperature, monitors cervical mucus changes and the like to understand her fertile periods during her cycle?

Posts: 690 | From East coast, USA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeberry
Unregistered

Blackstone you are saying the Mirena is safe. Not everyone agrees. Read this link.

http://www.mirenaclassaction.com/Product%20Info.htm

If IUDs are so safe then why are there still class action lawsuits?

Blackstone I did a search and you have posted before on this forum about the safety of IUDs. What is your connection to the IUD industry? This might help us understand where your opinions are coming from better. Do you work for Planned Parenthood or are you a medical sales rep? Is your career past or present have something to do with birth control? I just would like to know why you keep saying IUDs are so safe when there is information out there that they are not?

I do believe in zero population growth but I believe there are more natural and healthier ways to keep the population down. Some people I believe use herbs for birth control. I think my friend who is an herbalist just taught a class on the subject. I will check with her and report back.

c3mom do you have Lyme disease? Could your IUD possibly be contributing to your health issues if you do have Lyme without your knowing it? As a well known LLMD always says it is never just about the Lyme. Having something foreign inside ones uterus could easily cause some health issues you might not be aware about.

Blackstone
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9453

I say that Mirena is generally safer than any of the IUDs released in the 60s-80s. Not that it is perfect. Drugs are being recalled all the time, lawsuits, valid or not, are always being filed, appealed, and overturned. There's a drug that was used for leprosy if I remember that got class-actioned out of use in this country because of birth defects, despite the fact that it was perfectly safe in people who were not pregnant. You can find examples and information anywhere that ANY particular therapy is unsafe. People have died from taking antibiotics. Heck I know one person who has died from craniosacral therapy! It only takes very few people, especially with the internet, to propagate any belief about health or therapy regardless of its validity. Of course, this can be used for spreading good information, as well as misinformation.

I try not to state what I am, or what I used to be before I was sick (I'm just disabled now), because honestly, I figure that nomatter what I say, the evidence I can produce, I'll be seen as an enemy. If you've read my post history long enough, I imagine you could see this occur.

I'll say that I'm not connected to any IUD producing company or industry. My career path is definitely in medicine and I have no vested interest in getting people IUDs, only helping people overcome irrational beliefs about any treatment(IUD, Lyme etc), which seem to spiral out of control at times, by using the faculties I have available to me.

I've never seen an herbal regimen that has the 99% effectiveness rate of most hormonal birth control today, without having serious side effects or being somewhat dangerous (high dosages of wormwoood, nightshade, wild strawberry, parsley , combined with vitamin C can be used as birth control or an abortive agent, but highly unsafe and unreliable)

Unfortunately, preventing fertility is a pretty unnatural or semi-natural thing, at best. If you're not going to a barrier or spermicidal method, you need to prevent ovulation or implantation. This requires hormonal simulation of pregnancy in many cases, or addition of hormones to gain certain conditions that are not conducive to pregnancy. If you know of a safe, reliable, herbal regimen with a 99% effectiveness rating, I'd be interested to know.

Patients with chronic illness are at a heightened state of paranoia, generally distrustful, and given to searching out anything extending answers. This is somewhat understandable given the stress they're under and their experience that really nobody knows how to give them immediate relief. Unfortunately, this, combined with the nature of the internet, creates a breeding ground for a low signal/noise ration in terms of good medical information and the potential for tons of conspiracy theories, which only make it harder for us to find the root causes of our illnesses, and logically take them apart. I personally know three people that couldn't be happier with their IUDs. That's not statistically significant in the grand scheme of things of course, but its really hard to hear when something is good. Nobody goes on the internet and says "I'm generally a healthy guy, I took Zithromax for a minor sinus infection, and I feel a lot better, just as the doctor said I would! Thanks doc!" No, you get the people who it didn't go right for.

There's a subset of these people that it was probably an isolated incident for - not everyone reacts the same, everyone can have a bad reaction to something. However, when the very small percentage of people who have a bad reaction all congregate in the same place, it is a bubbling cauldron of problems. Where across the nation each one of them could have been the 1 in 100,000 who got a rash from drug X, now they're all together on the internet saying "Look at all of us! Drug X causes a rash!"

Now this, might be a good statistical base to start with. Researches and medical personnel can say okay, though its still a small number of people in the grand scheme, it is enough unhappy that we really need to try and do something about it. Or perhaps a, "We thought it would have 1% adverse reactions, its looking closer to 5% here. Lets do more work, we may have to pull this"

The problem is, "Drug X causes a rash!" is rarely where it stops on those sort of forums. It quickly because "I have irritable bowel syndrome and I took Drug X 5 years ago! Since drug X causes a rash, it could also have caused my IBS!" get one or two people who had something simple like IBS or headaches, and soon it will be "Evil doctors aren't telling us about the side effects of Drug X! I had a miscarriage! It must be that, they're hiding it from us!" and like a snowball rolling downhill you have "Doctors are evil people all paid by the pharmaceutical companies and anything they give you is bad. You should trust anything "natural" given by people who may or may not be certified in anything, force you to pay out of pocket, and somehow are incapable of being financially motivated the way those evil M.Ds are" One time, I even saw things progress to "You are probably one of the Lizardmen who worked his way up through the medical community and direct us to do bad things so that the 'Greys' will be poisoned when they try to interbreed with humans!" This was on what calls itself a medical forum, folks.

I know I've written a lot. In my personal and limited professional experience, many women have IUDs without significant side effects or creation of new health issues. Of course there will be some people who react poorly or have a bad experience. If new studies come to to show that Mirena isn't safe, then so be it, but I'd like them to come from reputable sources, having been investigated for some time. Personally, I'm a bigger fan of the copper IUDs in Europe, as any sort of hormonal birth control has a higher potential for non-critical, easily disclosed symptoms from altering body chemistry enough to prevent ovulation! I just see a lot of alarmist behavior there in general, and I want to see good, valid information come from inquiry instead.

Blackstone
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9453

As an update, that mirena class action site shows no credible evidence of well.. anything. Take a look at this..

"Kris J. Balekian is a Dallas Attorney and Lawyer and is Not Certified by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.

This Advertisement has been paid for by The Law Offices of Kris J. Balekian.

This is basically one lawyer saying that she had the experiences listed, and wants other people to call in saying similar things. It doesn't even matter the severity, or how many of them. There's also a link to the "Health Forum" I spoke of above as the "evidence". I don't see any research, I don't see anything that would suggest this case would get off the ground on anything aside from emotional issues. Especially with the symptoms listed, unless a large percentage of them occurred immediately, in a high percentage of patients, it would be nigh impossible to pin down any one cause.

I'm sorry, this just appears to be a get-rich-quick scheme that is praying on innocent people. Many class actions are - its on of the biggest payouts in law. You win 7.35 million, and pay out $50 to everyone who wrote in. By the time you're done, you take your cut which comes to something like 4.3 million and go on your next case. Seems like this lawyer found the thread on "that forum" and saw dollar signs in every post.

Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone read those inserts in boxes of condoms? I'm not sure if all brands include them, but I remember reading one once, and it gives you information on many different types of birth control and how effective they are if used properly.

Kind of an "inform the masses" sort of thing.

Here is a copy of something from the FDA that looks a lot like what was in the box of Trojan condoms:

http://www.fda.gov/Fdac/features/1997/conceptbl.html

It gives the pregnancy rates when used how normal people use them, and then, when used perfectly.

If you look, you'll see that Withdrawl is actually just a little less effective than a condom used without spermicide.

But, if I am remembering this correctly, back when I read this chart which would have been about 4 years ago or more, Withdrawl was actually equal to a Male condom without spermicide or better. Actually, this chart is from 1997. So maybe the data I was reading back then was more recent.

So according to the FDA, when used properly, Withdrawl is 96% effective over a year. It depends a lot on the male and how good he is at knowing his own body.

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Planned Parenthood is claiming the effectiveness of Withdrawl is only around 75%! Hmmmmmm.

Okay, on Wikipedia it is now saying is it around 75% when used how it is typically used, but it is 96% when used properly.

Okay, so big disparity. Guess if you're gonna use it, you better learn how to do it properly and have discipline. [Wink]

Sorry this is off topic, just thought I would throw it out there since many of us are looking for natural methods.

Then again, I was just pregnant so I am probably the last person anyone would listen to!

Blackstone
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9453

The difference between "normal" use and "perfect" use is normally significant, as you can see, with any sort of contraception that relies on a person to have to "intervene" frequently. This is one reason "minimal patient influence" contraceptives like IUDs, the patches, injections, and subdermal implants were developed. (The last three, I would not recommend to anyone. They contain a much higher dosage of hormones than even found in birth control pills and thus more side effects )
lymeberry
Unregistered

Blackstone as someone who was harmed by an IUD in the past and was part of a valid class action suit and won I am just not buying that IUDs are harmless and new and improved these days and people just start class action suits against IUD makers to try and get rich.

I think anyone who is planning to have a foreign object inserted in their body for perhaps 1 to 10 years needs to do as much research as possible on the subject especially when their LLMD advised them not to get one for some reason. If it was me I would listen to my LLMD rather than a poster on lymenet saying they are perfectly safe when there is information out there saying they are not.

Blackstone for some reason which you have yet to divulge you seem to have a very vested interest in saying IUDs are safe. I tried to find out from you why so I could perhaps understand better where you are coming from or where you are getting your misinformation yet so far you have written about grey lizards and everything else without saying why you are so concerned with telling people on this forum IUDs are perfectly safe when they just aren't. You make it sound like people just sit around and get medical devices implanted in their uterus so that they can later sue medical device companies. I am just not buying it.

lymeberry
Unregistered

Hoosiers51 I don't think your post is off topic at all. I am sure many readers on this forum are wondering the best methods of birth control to use for their body illness and life style. Face it no matter what anyone says sex and birth control are a pretty normal part of life.
lymeberry
Unregistered

More on Minerva

http://www.curezone.com/forums/fm.asp?i=71953

When should your IUD be removed

http://www.springerlink.com/content/l88231324j74277w/

IUD Seeing a Rebirth Among Women, Despite Risks
Spurned by women for decades, the IUD is experiencing a resurgence, despite health risks.

http://tinyurl.com/r2bn7u

Natural family planning is a healthy alternative to the risks of the IUD.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

PRLog (Press Release) - Mar 09, 2009 - After years of being off the market, the intrauterine device, or IUD, seems to be enjoying a rebirth by a new generation of women in Chicago and elsewhere in the nation.

One of the main changes made over the past twenty years is how effective the IUD is as a method of birth control.

In the past, the IUD was inert, and might be made of plastic or metal, but newer IUDs, such as the Mirena, are more effective with the addition of the hormone progestin, similar to that used in the birth control pill.

Nevertheless, possible health risks involved are pelvic inflammatory disease, allergic reactions, infections, changes in vision, chills, dizziness, lack of or prolonged menstruation, and other side effects.

In fact, controversy within the medical community and among users spurred lawsuits and FDA action with regard to the IUD of the 1970s and 80s, experts say.

Two IUDs besides the Mirena are available in the United States--the Copper-T 380A, also known as the ParaGard, and Progestasert.

Such health risks have been the cause of interest in Natural Family Planning (NFP) over the years, reports the Chicago chapter of the Couple to Couple League (CCL). NFP offers a healthy alternative to artificial means in the form of fertility awareness, according to CCL.

The group teaches the Sympto-Thermal Method of NFP and is one of the world's largest providers of natural family planning.

Classes in NFP will be offered at St. Alphonsus Church in Chicago beginning Apr. 26. Classes are also offered in 14 locations in the Chicago area. For more information, contact Lloyd & Monica Cassidy at 847-724-7206, or visit

http://www.naturalfamilyplanningchicago.com.

The Couple to Couple League (CCL) is an international, interfaith, non-profit organization dedicated to teaching Natural Family Planning (NFP) to married and engaged couples. This news article is sponsored by the Chicago chapter of CCL International.

Blackstone
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9453

Perhaps you misunderstood my post. I was extrapolating how bad information propagates across the internet.

I never said there were NO valid class action lawsuits (asbestos comes to mind), but simply that just because some attorney is trying to get a class action in order doesn't mean the product is bad. There are class actions against Valtrex and Zyvox right now, and those are good, valid drugs. You clearly misunderstood - Lawyers are the ones profiting from opening class actions, not patients. If you'll reread above, patients get a pittance if there are many people involved in the suit, while the lawyer walks away with millions.

I never said anyone should ignore their LLMD. If you'll refer to my above post, I said specifically to avoid the Mirena should your LLMD caution against the alteration of your hormonal makeup.

If you'll please read my post again, I never said ANY medical treatment was entirely safe, without risks, or without side effects. All I said is that at current, I see very little data that is statistically significant to show that IUD usage is somehow more perilous than currently thought or that there is some coverup to disguise its failings.

I see your linked articles but as I said before, there is no consensus. Here are just a few things I found quickly.

The acceptance rate of intrauterine contraceptive device (IUCD) amongst family planning clinic users in Lagos University Teaching Hospital (LUTH).
Adegbola O, Ogedengbe OK.

Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, College of Medicine, University of Lagos, Lagos University Teaching Hospital, Lagos. [email protected]

BACKGROUND: Intrauterine Contraceptive Device is an effective reversible long-term contraceptive method that is popular and widely used in this environment. OBJECTIVES: To determine the characteristics of women using this mode of contraception, their main reasons for acceptance, complications arising from usage and the discontinuation rate as well as reasons for discontinuing the method. METHODS: A review of case records of all the new contraceptive acceptors attending the Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology Family Planning Clinic of the Lagos University Teaching Hospital (LUTH) from 1st January 1990 to 31st December 1994 was examined and the clients that accepted the intrauterine contraceptive device, (IUCD) during this period were identified. The records of those that opted for IUCD were thoroughly reviewed to identify the follow up events through the subsequent ten years visits to determine outcome of the contraceptive usage. RESULTS: Amongst the 2754 new contraceptive acceptors during the study period, 1602 (58.17%) clients accepted the Intrauterine Contraceptive Device (IUCD). Of these IUCD acceptors, the mean age was 31.3 +/- 5.5 years, mean parity was 3.9 +/- 2 and mean number of children alive was 3.6 +/- 1.8. Seven hundred and forty nine (46.8%) of them had previously used contraceptives and 1175 (73.3%) of them still wanted more children, thus child spacing was the main reasons for accepting this method. By 12 months, the discontinuation rate was 13.9% with the cumulative discontinuation rate of 47% as at forty-eighth month. The commonest reason for discontinuation was planning to get pregnant in 426 (26.6%) of the clients. Menstrual disorders accounted for 108 (6.7%). The mean duration of IUCD was 25.4 +/- 18.8 months with an accidental pregnancy rate of 0.3%. CONCLUSION: Intrauterine Contraceptive Device is widely accepted amongst women in the study group. Devices that reduce menstrual loss and also have long duration of action like Levonorgestrel intrauterine system (LNG-IUS) qualifies to be considered.

Links
Evaluation of quality of life and sexual functioning of women using levonorgestrel-releasing intrauterine contraceptive system--Mirena.
Skrzypulec V, Drosdzol A.

Woman's Health Chair, Medical University of Silesia, Katowice, Medyk�w, Poland.

The advantages ensuing from the high contraceptive efficacy, positive effect on the parameters of the menstrual cycle as well as other values of the levonorgestrel-releasing intrauterine system may play an important role in women's sexual life. The aim of the study was to evaluate the effect of the levonorgestrel-releasing intrauterine system on the quality of life and sexual functioning of women. The research encompassed 200 women aged between 30 and 45. 52 women using the levonorgestrel-releasing intrauterine system were qualified to the study as the research group (Mirena Group). The control groups consisted of 48 women using a different type of intrauterine device (Control Group I--Other IUD) and 50 women using no contraception (Control Group II). A specific questionnaire with a general part concerning socio-demographic conditions, a part dealing with contraception and Polish version of self-evaluation inventories: Short Form-36 Health Survey, Female Sexual Function Index and Mell-Krat Scale was used as a research tool. Quality of life parameters for women using the Mirena system were higher than for the control groups, especially in the aspect of general health, energy/fatigue and emotional well-being. A significant beneficial effect of the levonorgestrel-releasing intrauterine system on sexual functioning (sexual desire and arousal) was also revealed in the study. Sexual dysfunctions were diagnosed in 20.8% of Other IUD, 34.7% of Control Group II and 9.6% of Mirena Group. Levonorgestrel-releasing intrauterine system increases female quality of life and sexual functioning parameters.

Doyle J, Stern L, Hagan M, Hao J, Gricar J.

Analytica International, New York, New York, USA.

Contraceptive use in the United States is virtually universal among women of reproductive age. However, unplanned pregnancies continue to occur and can be largely attributed to the nonuse and misuse of contraception. Reducing unintended pregnancies constitutes a critical goal for managed care and the public. This can be achieved in part with intrauterine devices (IUDs), which are an effective method of contraception that require a one-time insertion and stay in place for 5-10 years. Therefore, compliance issues are largely mitigated, and actual use efficacy is the same as perfect use efficacy. The IUD is also reversible, unlike tubal ligation, and could potentially be the contraceptive of choice in today's environment. Unfortunately, safety concerns surrounding the use of older IUDs have precluded many women from recognizing the benefits of their use. Currently, the only approved IUDs in the United States are ParaGard, the copper IUD, and Mirena, the levonorgestrel-releasing intrauterine system (LNG-IUS). These devices offer superior safety profiles compared with those products that were withdrawn from the market in the 1970s. In addition to a favorable safety and tolerability profile, the LNG-IUS offers an advantage over copper IUDs, demonstrating improved efficacy in preventing intrauterine and ectopic pregnancies. Successful communication between patients and providers regarding the improved safety and efficacy of newer IUDs will ensure an appropriate place in therapy. Thus, greater numbers of women will recognize the IUD as a safe, cost-effective means to contraception, thereby reducing the economic and social burdens associated with unplanned pregnancies.

In regards to your CureZone link, do you remember what I said about someone accusing me of being a "lizard person"? That is where it happened. That forum is in my humble opinion, a cesspool. It has an "Alien Abduction" discussion! Right here: http://www.curezone.com/forums/f.asp?f=580

There is very little moderation, tons of misinformation and conspiracy theories, and has the worst signal/noise ratio in terms of valid medical discussion. This is the "CIA has put transmitters in my teeth" and "Chemtrails are government mind control" crowd, and there's no reasoning with them.

Fellow lyme patients have a look at this: http://www.curezone.com/forums/fm.asp?i=1411353#i

Cured within a week?! This is the kind of predatory bull-poo that I was speaking of. Unethical, untruthful, unhelpful.

As to your natural family planning link, that's good information. I thin NFP should be available as a choice, but do you see how it is a little bit of a conflict of interest for them to give any advice about IUDs?

MariaA
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also have no ties to any medical industry, but I'll say that I've heard several different women I know, who are medical professionals, get quite enthusiastic about the various new IUD's they're using. Two are nurses, one's a doctor, one's a PA. I've heard several other women who use it praise the devices. I think it really, really is a very different device than the ones from the past decades that blackstone is talking about.

In all the research I've done on birth control methods (after getting pregnant using 'natural' methods by the way, and having to abort), I'm most interested in the copper IUD. The only thing that concerns me is the potential for heavier periods as currently I have the most nonintrusive menstrual cycle in the world and I'd like to continue to not have to have cramping or heavy bleeding. I don't want to use a hormonal method due to unknowns (to my mind) about Lyme antibiotics and even local hormones (though it seems to me like the chances are low that it'd be a problem).

I think the reason some women are passionate about the issue of birth control is just that it really does affect our lives so strongly, and when it appears that there's misinformation or that people are mixing up past problems with improved medical technology it's frustrating.

--------------------
Symptom Free!!! Thank you all!!!!

Find me at Lymefriends, I post under the same name.
diet: http://lymefriends.ning.com/group/healthylowcarbrecipes
Homemade Probiotics thread
Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeberry
Unregistered

No I don't think there is a conflict of interest if they talk about IUDs at all and have natural birth control classes. That does not mean they might not have a valid educated opinion on the subject of birth control at all. I find what they have so say on the subject reasonable.

Curezone is made up off different posters just like lymenet is. There are some sometimes strange posters and posts on this forum does that make all the posters here wrong? You are trying to invalidate all the posters at Curezone due to some posters and subjects you think strange. Curezone can be a source of good information. Just like here one has to pick through posts to see what resonates with them and use their own judgement. You seem to have a conventional Western approach so I can see why you might not like Curezone.

People sometimes get pregnant with IUDs. Sure natural birth control can be risky and of course it is a very individual decision. Birth control at least some methods have to be used over and over again and correctly to be truly effective. Any form of birth control must be actually used to always be effective. People sometimes do have sex without using birth control even when they do not want to get pregnant. It happens.

Maria if you do get an IUD report back. Has your LLMD said anything about the use of them? What kind of natural birth control were you using and how often were you using it?

IUDs not only make your periods heavier they can cause intense painful cramping as well. They may have redesigned them to make them "new and improved" yet it is still a foreign object hanging out in your uterus.

I still don't trust that IUDs are so improved. Time will tell. The pharmaceutical companies have been known before to fix drug studies and medical devices can be faulty yet those facts are not told to the public and actually sometimes hidden from the FDA and public due to profit not concern for the health of the public. When silicone implants were know to be causing problems by the company that made them they kept that hidden from the public and FDA. Many women became very ill from implants.

Blackstone
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9453

Actually, I'm rather involved with herbal medicine and investigating homeopathy. I simply like to see good hard proof - if you have a great theory, a methodology of action, and a way to prove its usefulness, then I'm for it. I'm not for unproven, experimental treatments being treated as if they're validated, or for proponents thereof getting upset when they're asked to subject their treatments to the same validations as conventional, western medicine. Of course, the thing that bothers me not just as a medical (semi) professional and scientist, but as a patient, is seeing desperate people pay tons of money for these quack treatments after some snake oil salesmen convinced them hope could come in a $599 bottle, plans for a $2000 device, or "personal education" plans for hundreds per "lesson".

Unlike CureZone, Lymenet seems to have moderators that keep things to a certain level of discourse - I think those of us who have been around for more than a year can remember one poster who was going off the deep end, not contributing constructively, and was asked to leave. Also, LymeNet does not allow individuals to come on and hawk "miracle cures" to people seeking information. On both of these counts, I commend the administration and moderation staff.

Its not that there couldn't be minimal value somewhere in CureZone, but as I said before, the signal to noise ratio is abysmal and obfuscates the search for truth. I've tried to help people there, but after being accused of being a lizardman and a member of the Illuminati, I no longer have the patience to sift through a river full of feces in the hopes of finding flecks of gold.

Edit: Maria, if your initial periods were not so bad, then a copper IUD may be right for you. Many patients have heavier flow and more painful cramps for about 2-6 periods, but many find that it lessens back to normal thereafter. Periods may be shorter, as well. Don't be afraid to discuss with your physician about pain or heavier flow. IUDs can always come out with ease if they don't work for you.

lymeberry
Unregistered

Blackstone there you go again alluding to the fact you are some sort of health professional yet not being clear about what it is you do or have done. You seem to want people to know you have worked as a health professional and listen to your medical advice but we don't know if you are a medical receptionist a PA a MD or a lab tech. I find it a bit like a cat and mouse game and like you want us to believe you are an authority with out knowing just why we should.

Then you give medical advice:

"Maria, if your initial periods were not so bad, then a copper IUD may be right for you. Many patients have heavier flow and more painful cramps for about 2-6 periods, but many find that it lessens back to normal thereafter. Periods may be shorter, as well. Don't be afraid to discuss with your physician about pain or heavier flow. IUDs can always come out with ease if they don't work for you."

IUDs can come out with ease that does not mean they always do.

I like to see proof too and would like to see the proof with time that the new IUDs are so much better than the old ones.

Blackstone
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9453

As I said above, I'd rather not reveal my full background in public. If you wish to know, I shall PM you my profession. I do not give professional advice here. No one, not even LLMDs do so on this forum officially. Besides coloring people's views, it can also raise liability issues in some cases.

That said, I should have been more clear about "come out". IUDs can be removed, without significant difficulty, in most cases. By "always" I meant the procedure is always "available". Some people in the past have thought that after insertion, you needed to wait a year, three years, five, ten etc... before they could be removed, which is not the case.

lymeberry
Unregistered

Thank you Blackstone. I would like to know your profession by PM.

I think the jury is still out about new and improved.

New Report Calls IUDs Safe, But Doubts Linger
Run Date: 09/25/01

``Ortho-McNeil Pharmaceuticals, which markets ParaGard in the United States, recommends it for women who have had at least one child, are in stable, mutually monogamous relationships and have no history of pelvic inflammatory disease.

Pelvic inflammatory disease includes infections of the lining of the uterus, the fallopian tubes or the ovaries, which range from unnoticeable to severely painful.

These recommendations stem from two serious risks posed by device's use.

First, IUDs may be expelled without women knowing it. Women who haven't had their uteruses stretched by pregnancy are more likely to unknowingly expel the device during menstruation, says Hubacher.

The second, more serious risk is of infection. "When you insert an IUD you have to go through the cervix, and you push any bacteria in the cervix into the uterus, and there it could cause damage," including pelvic inflammatory disease, says Hubacher.

Pelvic inflammatory disease leads to infertility in 20 percent of its sufferers, according to the Centers for Disease Control.
"If a woman is at risk for a sexually transmitted disease or has recently had a risky exposure, then she should not get an IUD inserted," Hubacher says.

In addition, women who use ParaGard can expect more bleeding and pain during their periods, says Hubacher.

In December 2000, the Food and Drug Administration approved Mirena, which is being distributed in the United States by Berlex Laboratories, a division of Schering Pharmaceuticals.

The Population Council developed this levonorgestrel-releasing IUD in 1990. Mirena is as effective as ParaGard and works in a similar way, except that by releasing the hormone levonorgestrel, Mirena ultimately reduces menstrual bleeding and in some cases ends it altogether.

Mirena costs about $400, says Kim Schillace, a public relations manager at Berlex Laboratories, and prevents pregnancy for up to five years. Berlex plans to launch a direct-to-consumer advertising campaign for Mirena this fall.

Some Advocates Worry About IUD Safety, Improper Consumer Advertising

Most, but not all, feminists and women's health advocates agree that the IUD can be a good birth control option for some women.

But they raise a range of concerns about its use, from the dangers of direct-to-consumer advertising, inadequate research on safety and the potential for abuse both in this country and abroad.

"I would suspect, as with much other direct-to-consumer advertising" of medical products, says Boston Women's Health Book Collective's Judy Norsigian, "you will see many people using products for which they are not good candidates."

Misinformation about the pill abounds, feminist critics say, and many women don't know whether their partners are monogamous or whether they've been exposed to sexually transmitted diseases.

Safety concerns linger. Hubacher himself admits that case-control studies like his, while rigorous, can only go so far in making conclusions about whether IUDs cause infection or any other outcome.

Yet for women concerned about the risks of high-tech contraception, "single studies with small groups of people over short periods of time are not good enough," says Karen M. Hicks, who organized women survivors of the Dalkon Shield in the 1980s.

Pelvic inflammatory disease and related problems can plague women for years, she says, yet there are no safety studies tracking the thousands of women who have used IUDs over their entire adult lifespan as there are for the pill.''

The whole article can be viewed here.

http://www.womensenews.org/article.cfm/dyn/aid/664/context/archive

As I recall there was a form of birth control one MD's office was pushing on their patients that was shot into the arm. Later it came out that many doctors had a hard time removing this kind of birth control and patients had infections from its removal and problems with weight gain and other issues when it was in. Conventional birth control has yet to be perfected and made safe in my mind. There is a giant need for good safe birth control yet Western medicine and pharmaceutical companies are not there yet.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement