LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Benicar vs Statins (cholesterol lowering) drugs

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Benicar vs Statins (cholesterol lowering) drugs
Marnie
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Skip to the * if you wish:

*Benicar* is an angiotensin II receptor antagonist.

It works by inhibiting the action of a chemical transmitter (angiotensin II) and allowing the

* blood vessels to dilate (widen)*

and the kidneys to

*eliminate extra sodium* and fluids.

Normally the amino acid, arginine increases nitric oxide to dilate our blood vessels.

We know that Bb uses Na for its Na-ATPase and NaCl for motility.

So logically, Benicar looks like it might help to destroy Bb (via eliminating Na and perhaps by increasing oxygen delivery when the vessels dilate), but

Benicar can raise OUR cholesterol level significantly.

Bb follows the ``cholesterol pathway'' to build its cell walls.

More specifically Bb follows the mevalonate (also called) isoprenoid pathway of cholesterol
synthesis.

If that pathway is upregulated:

Low density lipoproteins (LDL, the "Lousy" cholesterol) and cholesterol tend to be *elevated* in patients with moderate disease due to an upregulated isoprenoid pathway.

Since Mg levels dive at the outset of lyme (Romanian abstract) and Mg is needed to INactivate an enzyme called HMG CoA reductase which puts the brakes on the cholesterol pathway...

A Mg deficiency could trigger elevated cholesterol levels.

OR

your cholesterol might be LOWER which maybe a body defensive move to make you more acidic in order to destroy pathogens.

If the bowel is not healthy, you might have a hard time ABSORBING the nutrients needed to make cholesterol and hence a lower cholesterol level.

The fact is WE need the amino acids in cholesterol as much as Bb does.

This pathogen is depleting many nutrients WE need.

The "statins" which DO lower cholesterol do not look to be capable of destroying Bb completely.

We still have to rid the CWD (cell wall deficient) forms before it can rebuild the cell walls.

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie tony z
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymie tony z     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Marnie,

I've rather realized that these pathogens are utilizing the nutrients we need as well for some time...I mean....

I'm not trying to be a wiseguy honest!
But, it did'nt take me too long to realize that my metabolism was being interfered with due to the fatigue factors. and or the "UN-Recovery from excercise because I was always exercising...well at least on and off yearly....and in 96 ish I noticed I was'nt recovering as well....

Of course I do thank you for making what you posted easier for the novice to read and understand.

So, what should I do....ask my llmd in training for a colesterol lowering drug...other then a statin....

I can't do the statins....like lippetine or shoot...something that begins with a "C"...

I Think...Oh crapp not a "C" a "Z" zocor!

had to edit it!
will I ever get my thinking back...I mean after all my age has to have a factor in here somewhere as well....duhhhhh!

LOL!

Anyway....

thanks again!

zman

--------------------
I am not a doctor...opinions expressed are from personal experiences only and should never be viewed as coming from a healthcare provider. zman

Posts: 2527 | From safety harbor florida(origin Cleve., Ohio | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can I go with my gut instinct?

Want just one idea to discuss with your doc?

I suspect lysine acetylsalicylate (LAS) might help.

Links will explain.

http://tiny.cc/Tp4ar

And it looks to come in an inhaled version to treat histamine-induced bronchoconstriction in asthma.

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/100005021.html ???

http://content.karger.com/ProdukteDB/produkte.asp?Doi=181512 ??? Bb looks to lock onto plasminogen in our "basement membranes"

You DO want to save our gov. money, right? ;-)

http://ideas.repec.org/a/wkh/phecon/v18y2000i2p185-200.html WOW.

http://tiny.cc/mqMXV ( paraquat is one of the most widely used herbicides in the world)

http://www.drugs.com/npp/lysine.html

http://www.citeulike.org/user/booker/article/4212570

PLEASE discuss the links with your doc.

You're welcome. If you and your doc decide to give it a try...post your results, okay?

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie tony z
Member # 5130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymie tony z     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Marnie,

The tiny urls you gave me according to google seem to be broken!

When I started smoking over in Nam I stopped getting so anxious about everything and stopped having migraines.

When I was a child and hated smoking, even when my parents and siblings started I did'nt. Not until Nam anyway, when I was about 20.

Course I wish I had'nt, cuz now it's practically impossible for me to quit!

The patches got me to quit for about eight months and I should have been over my smoking addiction.

But not my nicotine addiction, or whatever else is in the dang things that keeps me from having anxiety migraines!

I guess.

Probably the same stuff that's in the migraine medication! Maybe I could kick the habit if I ask for a script of that stuff!....

Dang, now why have'nt I ever thought of that before?

Probably the side effects mentioned on the tube!

However, unfortunately one Christmas with my immediate family and I was ripping off the patch and looking for a butt!

I don't know which one of the 2000 crummy things are in cigarettes but something in them agrees with my system!

Could very well be what you suggest!

However, in 01 when I tried doing asprin instead of acetaminofin(tylenol),

while I was down here in a six month cycle of my lyme flares. I developed cellulitis!....

But...with many different rashes and stuff along with it.

Like a shingles rash around my pelvic girdle. Pain was through the roof!

The deep nerve pain is why I think it might have been a flareup of childhood chicken pox or measles,

because I got some, zoster herpes, outbreak, on temple region of my left temple area, as well.

Plus I became delirious due to high temperature!

Went to emergency and got iv and oral followups!

I was telling the VA in Cleve all along that I was getting sicker the farther I got from my last IV regimen in 99.

Of course though, no one would listen to me.

They just put crap in my medical files! Pain killer seeker, and "HEADS UP" notations for other VA doctors!

Who knows what else I was exposed to overthere!

defoliant wise anyway!

Is that the stuff they said back then, that was supposed to be killing off the MJ plants?

I remember some guys talking about the stuff!

Those that embibed! I was more of a juice freak!(alcohol)To escape the nightmares of war!

However, it seems I never lost them!

Especially my wives and other, in between marriges, relationships, that I have really nasty night-terrors!

I usually don't remember them. Sometimes I wake myself up with them however.

Anyway, perhaps I shoved all that crap so far into my subconscious that it just jumps out at me even to this day and age.

I also know that the multi-pathogen diseases I became infected with,

did'nt start in 95 but much earlier like 70 when I had reactions to penicillin.

And, tetracycline. They gave me that for a supposed UTI!

Caused supposedly by too much stress and black coffee. Yet, again, no record in my medical files!

It was after I served shore patrol in the Phillipines by some "skivvy house".

Getting eaten alive by the mosquitoes.I was posted there to keep personnel from going there!

Yea! Right! Like one guy's gonna stop anyone from gettin...well going in those places.

Another thing I can't prove to the good ole government!

A couple of my wives are going to write a letter explaining the night terrors they witnessed me having,

I'm going to write and tell them the names of some of the guys I served with as well.

But who knows if they'll remember!

Or if they can be found!

Oh well, probably nothing will come of it!

The crap happened to me...maybe not them...except for one I know of for sure!

There I go off on a tangent....sorry!

zman

--------------------
I am not a doctor...opinions expressed are from personal experiences only and should never be viewed as coming from a healthcare provider. zman

Posts: 2527 | From safety harbor florida(origin Cleve., Ohio | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JRWagner
Member # 3229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JRWagner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Must be the heat getting to my Floridian friends again!!!! Baking those brain cells...

Thanks Marnie...how about Red Yeast Rice Extract?

Tony ( I did not know you went over "back then")...perhaps I will give you both a call when I come down in the next 30 days or so...will be in Bradenton...Cape Coral, etc.

JRW

Posts: 1414 | From Ny, Ny | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement