LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Bart and/or bart like organisms?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bart and/or bart like organisms?
Chronic Triathlete
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15245

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Chronic Triathlete   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just got test results back from Fry. They sent me a pretty little picture of about 100 of my red blood cells. In the center if the picture was a single cell with a squiggly little Bart ******* inside.

I don't have the results in front of me to quote from them directly, but they said something to the effect of "positive for Bart or Bart-like organism".

I've read little bits here and there, like on LymeMD's blog, about the challenges and mysteries of testing for Bart. Nobody seems to know -- even the people at Fry -- if what they're seeing is really Bart or some other yet-to-be-named bug (Bart-like organism or BLO)?

My LLMD discussed this with me, but I'm still confused. Can someone either explain it to me in plain English or point me to a link that does? If it's not Bart, what else can it be... Mycoplasms, aliens, Jimmy Hoffa?

Thanks!
/CT

--------------------
10.24.07 Sick
03.31.08 Diagnosed IGeneX WB with Bb
04.08.09 Fry Bart

Updated 02.06.10 � On an ABX break since July 09, gluten-free, lots of exercise.

My blog: http://www.chronictriathlete.com/wordpress

Posts: 199 | From Brooklyn, NY | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feelfit
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
some type of protozoa. They have not sequenced it yet. Dr. F is treating some patients on a hunch. That is all that I know. I have it too.

Feelfit

Posts: 3975 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FuzzySlippers
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13658

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FuzzySlippers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't know if the lab was referring to the "Mystery Bug" that is thought to be some sort of protozoa. I think people who's samples are showing that mystery bug are being told "hemobartonella/mycoplasma(?)" in the findings and are not being told that Bart or Bart-Like Organism was seen.

Perhaps you could get clarification from your doc whether this is the new protozoa infection that Fry lab is seeing or whether it is a Bart or BLO infection they are reporting.

I'd presume that if they didn't mention the protozoa or didn't say something like "suggestive of hemobartonella/mycoplasma", that they are, indeed referring to Bart or BLO. But that's just a mere presumption on my part.

Anyway, here is an article by Doc B on Bartonella and the Bartonella Like Organism.

BARTONELLA-LIKE ORGANISMS
by Joseph Burrascano

It has been said that Bartonella is the most common of all tick-borne pathogens. Indeed, there seems to be a fairly distinct clinical syndrome when this type of organism is present in the chronic Lyme patient. However, several aspects of this infection seem to indicate that this tick-associated strain of Bartonella is different from that described as "cat scratch disease". For example, in patients who fit the clinical picture, standard Bartonella blood testing is commonly non-reactive. Furthermore, the usual Bartonella medications do not work for this- they suppress the symptoms but do not permanently clear them. For these reasons I like to refer to this as a "Bartonella-like organism" (BLO), rather than assume it is a more common species.

Indicators of BLO infection include symptoms involving the central nervous system that are out of proportion to the other systemic symptoms of chronic Lyme. There seems to be an increased irritability to the CMS, with agitation, anxiety, insomnia, and even seizures, plus symptoms of encephalitis, such as cognitive deficits and confusion. Other key symptoms may include gastritis, lower abdominal pain (mesenteric adenitis), sore soles, especially in the AM, tender subcutaneous nodules along the extremities, and red rashes. These rashes may have the appearance of red streaks like stretch marks that do not follow skin planes, spider veins, or red papular eruptions. Lymph nodes may be enlarged and the throat can be sore.

Because standard Bartonella testing, either by serology or PCR, may not pick up this BLO, the blood test is very insensitive. Therefore, the diagnosis is a clinical one, based on the above points. Also, suspect infection with BLO in extensively treated Lyme patients who still are encephalitic, and who never had been treated with a significant course of specific treatment.

The drug of choice to treat BLO is levofloxacin (Levaquin). Levofloxacin is usually never used for Lyme or Babesia, so many patients who have tick-borne diseases, and who have been treated for them but remain ill, may in fact be infected with BLO. Treatment consist of 500 mg daily (may be adjusted based on body weight) for at least one month. Treat for three months or longer in the more ill patient. It has been suggested that levofloxacin may be more effective in treating this infection if a proton pump inhibitor is added in standard doses.

Another subtlety is that certain antibiotic combinations seem to inhibit the action of levofloxacin, while others seem to be neutral. I advise against combining Levaquin with an erythromycin-like drug, as clinically such patients do poorly. On the other hand, combinations with cephalosporins, penicillins and tetracyclines are okay. Alternatives to levofloxacin include rifampin, gentamicin and possibly streptomycin.

Levofloxacin is generally well tolerated, with almost no stomach upset. Very rarely, it can cause confusion and insomnia- this is usually temporary, and may be relieved by lowering the dose. There is, however, one side effect that would require it to be stopped- it may cause a painful tendonitis, usually of the largest tendons. If this happens, then the levofloxacin must be stopped or tendon rupture may occur. Unfortunately, levofloxacin and drugs in this family cannot be given to those under the age of 18, so other alternatives, such as azithromycin and/or rifampin, are used in children.

Incidentally, animal studies show that Bartonella may be transmitted across the placenta. No human studies have been done.

Fuzzy

Posts: 503 | From Maryland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chronic Triathlete
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15245

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chronic Triathlete   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So there's no understanding as to whether or not it's truly tick-born. Meaning... was it potentially there before I was bitten?

/CT

--------------------
10.24.07 Sick
04.08.09 Fry Bart

Updated 02.06.10 � On an ABX break since July 09, gluten-free, lots of exercise.

Posts: 199 | From Brooklyn, NY | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FuzzySlippers
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13658

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FuzzySlippers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And here are some symptom lists for Bartonella/BLO and a link to a Bartonella Information Thread here on Lymenet in case Bartonella is a factor for you.

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/65655#000000

Bartonellosis

Common symptoms of bartonellosis include:

___Fatigue (often with agitation, unlike Lyme disease, which is more exhaustion)

___Low grade fevers, especially morning and/or late afternoon, often associated with feelings of "coming down with the flu or a virus"

___Sweats, often morning or late afternoon (sometimes at night) - often described as "thick" or "sticky" in nature

___Headaches, especially frontal (often confused with sinus) or on top of head

___Eye symptoms including episodes of blurred vision, red eyes, dry eyes

___Ringing in the ears (tinnitus) and sometimes hearing problems (decreased or even increased sensitivity - so-called hyperacusis)

___Sore throats (recurring)

___Swollen glands, especially neck and under arms

___Anxiety and worry attacks; others perceive as "very anxious"

___Episodes of confusion and disorientation that are usually transient (and very scary); often can be seizure-like in nature

___Poor sleep (especially difficulty falling asleep); poor sleep quality

___Joint pain and stiffness (often both Left and Right sides as opposed to Lyme which is often on one side only with pain and stiffness that changes locations)

___Muscle pains especially the calves; may be twitching and cramping also

___Foot pain, more in the morning involving the heels or soles of the feet (sometimes misdiagnosed as plantar fasciitis)

___Nerve irritation symptoms which can be described as burning, vibrating, numb, shooting, etc.

___Tremors and/or muscle twitching

___Heart palpitations and strange chest pains

___Episodes of breathlessness

___Strange rashes recurring on the body often, red stretch marks, and peculiar tender lumps and nodules along the sides of the legs or arms, spider veins

___Gastrointestinal symptoms, abdominal pain and acid reflux

___Shin bone pain and tenderness

Bartonella is a bacterium that causes illness, the most commonly known of which is a disease called "Cat Scratch Fever." Thousands of known cases of Bartonella occur in the U.S. each Year, with the vast majority of known cases due to bites from fleas that infest cats or infected dogs (may also occur directly from bites and scratches from infected dogs or cats). Bartonella can also be transmitted by ticks that transmit Lyme Disease. In fact, in a study published recently, deer ticks from New Jersey had a higher prevalence of Bartonella organisms than of Lyme organisms.

It is unclear whether the organism that we see transmitted along with Lyme disease is actually a Bartonella species (such as B. henselae or B. quintana) or is "Bartonella-Like Organism" (BLO) that is yet to be fully identified. While BLO has features similar to organisms in the Bartonella family, it also has features slimiar to the Mycoplasma and the Francisella (causes tularemia) families.

Bart Symptom List -- (I "think" I got this from LymeInfo.net. Primary source, Tincup).

BARTONELLA SYMPTOMS

GENERAL: Fatigue, Restlessness, Combative behavior, Myalgias, Malaise, Liver and/or Spleen
involvement, Abdominal pain, Infectious Mononucleosis-like Syndrome, Granulomatous Hepatitis

BRAIN: Encephalopathy may occur 1-6 weeks after the initial infection and is fairly common in patients
with Bartonella. Note: Approximately 50 percent of patients who develop Encephalopathy can be affected
by seizures (from focal to generalized, and from brief and self-limited to status epilepticus). Headaches,
Cognitive Dysfunction, and CNS Lesions may be evident.

RASH AND LYMPHADENITIS: Erythematous papules (red splotches or slightly raised red spots) may
develop. Such papules occasionally occur on the lower limbs but are more common on the upper limbs, the
head, and neck. The papules may appear on the skin or mucous membranes. Bartonella may also cause
subcutaneous nodules, with some bone involvement possible. The nodules may show some
hyperpigmentation, be tender, fester, and/or be enlarged or swollen, but not always.

EYES: Conjunctivitis, Bartonella Neuroretinitis, Loss of Vision, Flame Shaped Hemorrhages, Branch
Retinal Artery Occlusion with Vision Loss, Cotton Wool Exudates, Parinaud's Oculoglandular Syndrome,
and Papilledema.
BONES AND MUSCLES: Osteomyelitis, Myositis, Osteolytic Lesions (softening of bone), Myelitis,
Radiculitis, Transverse Myelitis, Arthritis, Chronic Demyelinating Polyneuropathy.

HEART: Endocarditis, Cardiomegaly.
Possible lab findings: The following may show up during standard testing:
Thrombocytopenia, pancytopenia, anemia, elevated serum alkaline phosphatase level, elevated bilirubin, abnormal liver enzymes.
X-ray of the bone may show areas of lysis or poorly-defined areas of cortical destruction with periosteal
reaction. Cardiomegaly may show up on a chest X-Ray.

Biopsies of lymph nodes reveal pathology often indistinguishable from sarcoidosis. Reports of biopsies
strongly suggestive of lymphoma do occur.
Tests occasionally show an enlarged liver with multiple hypodense areas scattered throughout the
parenchyma.

Posts: 503 | From Maryland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FuzzySlippers
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13658

I was reinfected with Lyme/Babs/Bartonella by a sandfly. So there are many modes of transmission in addition to ticks. That's my personal experience, anyway.
Chronic Triathlete
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15245

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chronic Triathlete   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awesome, Fuzzy! Thanks for the Dr. B text. I had some of the other stuff on file. It's what led me to talk to my LLMD about Bart.

Where did you get your sand fly tested for Bart? How else would you know it infected you?

Thanks!
/CT

--------------------
10.24.07 Sick
04.08.09 Fry Bart

FuzzySlippers
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13658

You're very welcome, CT.

Well, I reckon I can't entirely prove it was the darn sandfly that reinfected me. I did not get the sandfly tested because I smooshed the darn thing on my arm right after it bit me while sitting on a white, sandy Maryland beach. lol

But 24 hours later, I broke out in a rash that remained for weeks. Developed fever, flu-like symptoms, diffuse whole body pain, well I was severely ill ... the whole nine yards. It's been downhill ever since.

I had undiagnosed Lyme (and Lord knows what else) prior to that event. The sandfly bite is what finally did me in.

Hope this helps.

Fuzzy

Alv
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fuzzyslipers!

I have been treated for BART and this last one that I am treating is BABS /Protozoa.I have done LEVAQUIN ( except damages did not eradicated anything ) as well MONTHS of HH .

And I have everything right now that matches exactly the list above BUT I test positive and react only TO ANTIPROTOZOAL treatments!!!!

No hh , no levaquin , mino , knotweed and many others and I have been on them 19 months etc ..none of those.

The higher the load of it the more severe sick you are...

bart and blo are totaly two diferent things

I taste negative for BART treatment and FOR BART BUG and no positive even on BART frequencies with rife NONE period and still have had all the symtoms above..and the asnwer comes as babs and protozoas!!!!!!!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FuzzySlippers
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13658

hi Alv,

I'm so glad that you seem to have found treatments that are working for you. Good job!

You are right Bartonella and BLO are evidentally totally different from the "new" protozoan mystery bug that Fry is now trying to investigate. At least that is what Fry is telling us so far based on his research.

All of the Bartonella and BLO information posted above was in response to ChronicTriathletes question about his particular Fry lab results which indicated "Bart or Bart-Like Organism."

One could reasonably conclude that if the new protozoa infection had been detected, then Fry would have listed ChronicTriathlete's results as suggestive of "hemobartonella/mycoplasma" as they have done with myriad other patients.

Just thought I'd clear that up. That's what I tried to explain in my first response above.

Keep up the good fight Alv and stay strong!

Fuzzy

Chronic Triathlete
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15245

Thanks all for the comments. Like I said, I don't have the results here while I'm on vacation. I'll post the exact wording later this week when I get home. Maybe it'll help someone else.

--------------------
10.24.07 Sick
04.08.09 Fry Bart

springshowers
Member # 19863

Icon 1 posted      Profile for springshowers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Results in April say
Suggestive of Hemobartonella, Hemoplasma, or Protozoan

Because of research and science and all the changes that have been going on and new findings in the past few months..
who knows this may change still.

Posts: 2747 | From Unites States Of America | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karenl
Member # 17753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karenl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My Fry lab from January says hemobartonella
or mycoplasma. But now people say it is a protozoa?
I tested negative at ART testing for bartonella, but positive for a protozoa balatidium coli.So Fry would be right.
An overdose HH helps me to survive, but I think when we need overdosing we are just changing the terrain, and that helps a little.

I herx if I eat wedges of lemon also if I use vitamin C. Will try grapefruit seed now. Anyone else tried those?

Posts: 1834 | From US | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alv
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take GFS exstract and yes seems that helps the cyst form.I also have been saying long time ago that this is a protozoa .

LEMONS help me tremedously now..I could not have them before as I used to be sick of them ..now I drink A GLASS of lemon juice every morning..what I pleasure ..I feel like I drink a fanta .My body wants it desperatly .

I am trying to get them to exstremeties now.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karenl
Member # 17753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karenl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Probably you are right and it is a protozoa.Why is it so complicated? My Igenex on bartonella was also negative and band 41 could be from protozoa -as far as I read.

I get so sick from lemon, also from artichocs.
You should also eat the inner skin of the lemon.
Vitamin C from Alive is the best for me.
Also the bee pollen make me sick. They work as antibiotic.

The ART practitioner also has remedies for it, with walnut.
So probably they hate walnut. If you are interested, I send you a link.

Try to rife 786, it is working for me. It is a protozoa frequency, but also in the bartonella program.

Posts: 1834 | From US | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement