LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Hello Again and Update

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hello Again and Update
Aniek
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't been around these parts for a while, so I thought I would give an update of how I am doing.

I was actually doing very well when I stopped coming around. I wasn't near cured, but I was managing the illness. And then everything turned.

I moved from DC to California at the end of September to be with my then fiance (now husband). That's when things went down hill. I was travelling every week, sometimes twice a week, for work. I was already losing weight and underweight when I moved. I got down to 98 pounds in December and told my boss I needed to stop travelling.

I did meet with a new LLMD shortly after moving. She referred me to somebody else to work on chelation. He tried to boost my methylation system to get my body to start pushing out the heavy metals.

His treatment knocked me out. I was exhuasted and in intense pain. My labs showed no change in heavy metals or other indicators, so he wanted to put me on an IV treatment, but that turned out to be soy based and I am allergic to soy. Luckily, at that point I was already moving back to DC so I could go back to my LLMD here.

Turns out he had me on supplements my LLMD said were probably making me sicker. He moved me off of methyl B-12 and onto another form of B-12, that my LLMD told me is harder for most people to absorb.

So now I'm back "home" and back with my doctor that I trust. I'm married, so the wedding stress is gone. I only travel about once a month. So things should be better. I feel like I have so far to go to catch up with my health though.

The one good thing is that I was put on Flagyl for a bad UTI and I had no herx. So I think the Lyme load may really be down.

The bad news, I tested positive for Mycoplasma and an overgrowth of Klebsiella. I am trying to decide what type of treatment I want to pursue for the Mycoplasma so I can start my treatments.

So that is where I am and what I've been doing. Not sure how much time I'll have to visit here because I'm so tired. But I need the support and advice, so I'll try to come around.

-A

--------------------
"When there is pain, there are no words." - Toni Morrison

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymielauren28
Member # 13742

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymielauren28     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Aniek, sorry that you're going thru a rough patch. The good thing is that you achieved good health before so you know you can get there again.

Also really glad that you're back with your old Lyme doc! Hang in there - we're all pulling for you!

Lauren

--------------------
"The only way out is through"

Posts: 1434 | From mississippi | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats on your wedding. Glad to hear you are in good hands,medically.
Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you guys. It is a relief to be back in good hands. Unfortunately, my doctor is now recommending a treatment that I don't know if I feel comfortable with and can't find any information on. So my initial relief turned into limbo.

--------------------

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melanie Reber   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome back Aniek!

It's nice to see you... although I'm so sorry to know you are declining again.

Huge congrats on the wedding, and yes, the reduced stress should help so much.

Can you share what the treatment is that you are questioning w/out giving too many identifying details?

M

Posts: 7052 | From Colorado | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Member # 5374

Melanie,

The treatment is infusions of herbs and homeopathic infusions. The herbal infusions are called MTE. This supposedly increases the effectiveness of the oral antibiotics and reduces the length of treatment to about 6 months.

-A

--------------------

Lou B
Administrator
Member # 64

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lou B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey A,

I really missed you and I'm glad you're back with us here on the LymeNet Flash ... but sad that you're going through more medical challenges.

Congrats on your wedding ... I hope your spouse gives you plenty of support while you work your way to wellness.

I missed ya, lady, ... we all need your help and we know you need our help and input.

Remember ... take care of you,

--------------------
Lou B
 -

Posts: 2200 | From Mount Hope, New Jersey, USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melanie Reber   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm, that is most certainly a new one to me. I did a little Google-ing and found these quotes from an archived conversation from 2004. You may want to wade through the whole thing to read all the comments:

http://www.waldorfcritics.org/active/archives/WCA0405.html

"Plant extracts of the European mistletoe (MTE), Viscum album, the most widely used cancer treatment in Germany, have been used in European countries as sole intervention or as adjunct to conventional cancer therapies for more than 80 years. Preclinical data suggest immunostimulatory and cytotoxic effects of MTE."

"Recent advice (late 2003) from the National Cancer Institute is available at
http://www.cancer.gov/cancerinfo/pdq/cam/mistletoe/HealthProfessional

This summary contains the following key information:

Mistletoe is a semiparasitic plant that has been used for centuries to treat numerous human ailments. Extracts of mistletoe have been shown to kill cancer cells in the laboratory and to stimulate the immune system.

Mistletoe is used mainly in Europe, where a variety of different extracts are manufactured and marketed as injectable prescription drugs. These extracts are not available commercially in the United States.

Although mistletoe plants and berries are considered poisonous to humans, few serious side effects have been associated with mistletoe extract use. The use of mistletoe as a treatment for cancer has been investigated in more than 30 clinical studies. Reports of improved survival and/or quality of life have been common, but nearly all of the studies had major weaknesses that raise doubts about the reliability of the findings.

At present, the use of mistletoe cannot be recommended outside the context of well-designed clinical trials. Such trials will be valuable to determine more clearly whether mistletoe can be useful in the treatment of specific subsets of cancer patients.

End of summary."

Now, if you Google "mistletoe homeopathic infusions" You get several hits with much more information.

I think it is all very interesting, but certainly worth you time to read the latest non-biased information that you can find.

Posts: 7052 | From Colorado | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Member # 5374

Lou - Thanks for the comment. So nice to hear. Hopefully I can find the time and energy to help out around here, and hopefully y'all can help me as well.

Melanie - that is interesting. I don't think mistletoe was listed in the herbs involved in this, so it might just be coincidental. I'll ask my doctor.

I've now heard from 2 people who use the treatment for babesia and one woman whose daughter uses the treatment with what seems like good effect. I still wish I could get more information of what types of safety studies have been done (the curse of being a lawyer, I read too many cases in law school of people who died from non-FDA approved infusions).

--------------------

Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

Well... your concerns are certainly valid. We have seen too many 'miracle cures' come and go around here and some with dire consequences.

When I searched for MTE and infusions, Mistletoe was what came up, yes it could be coincidental. I sure hope you can find more input soon.

Best to you,
M

Lou B
Administrator
Member # 64

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lou B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A,

That's the real reason why we're here ... Lyme victims helping Lyme victims!!!

--------------------
Lou B
 -

Posts: 2200 | From Mount Hope, New Jersey, USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
aniek, CONGRATS my friend on your marriage !! you were discussing him earlier on the board.

what type of a lawyer are you now? what are you specializing in?

so sorry to read your health went south; but all that traveling and preparing for cases will do that to you.

glad you were able to get back to your llmd who helped you so much.

best wishes; i've missed you too BUT glad you were getting healthier and a life without being on here alot!~

tell your hubby for us; we got a real peach when he married you! [group hug] [kiss]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement