LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Mepron alternatives?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mepron alternatives?
yanivnaced
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13212

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yanivnaced     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What if somebody cannot tolerate this med ie. you become incapacitated with crushing fatigue/depression after a couple of weeks on it.

What is a seconday medicine for babs that can be tolerated better?

(I'm asking on my wife's behalf who is restatring abx this Friday. And we want to be prepared in case the LLMD insists on Mepron)

[ 07-07-2009, 12:05 PM: Message edited by: yanivnaced ]

Posts: 655 | From USA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marcie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10070

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marcie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Malarone is a good choice. I had the same problem with the Mepron. I do much better with the malarone.
Posts: 323 | From Michigan | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jennyflyer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12792

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jennyflyer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had terrible depression on the Mepron as well. Now that my health insurance has changed, I've asked my LLMD to switch me back to the Malarone.

--------------------
Jennifer

Posts: 266 | From Ocean County, NJ | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was treated with Bactrim DS for my babs. My now famous lyme doc usually uses mepron and zith, but zith gave me hives, so he said the Bactrim will do it. He said it just takes longer than the mepron/zith.

Plus, I pulsed artimesinin.

It worked for me. I finished my lyme treatment 4 years ago and I am still symptom free, enjoying my life--the same life I had before lyme disease.

I went undiagnosed for about 10 years.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pryorka
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13649

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pryorka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did clindamycin and quinine and it worked great (I used high doses of quinine powder so I got a mixture of alkaloids rather than just quinine alone). If you can get the drug quinamax (I believe that's the name) it would work just as well too because it a mixtures of four of the alkaloids found in the cinchoa(not sure if i spelled that right either) plant.

Plus then there's alinia, cryptolepsis, artemisinin, and maybe others.

Posts: 499 | From Indiana | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suspect that if you've got crushing fatigue, you might just have a herx type issue to deal with. Lots of people with the fatigue/depression combo seem to have managed it by taking short breaks from the Mepron. I would suggest trying cryptolepsis tincture during that time, or concurrent iwth the Mepron. It's available again from woodlandessence.com. I felt like I had a lot fewer side effects with it than with artemesinin and other pharmaceuticals.

if you have to go the Alinia route, it's cheap from this place:

http://www.onlinepharmaciescanada.com/opc/name-search.aspx?drugname=alinia

I think it went off-patent recently (I might be wrong) and so it's still wildly expensive in some places and much cheaper in others.

I took it and had the babesia herx hell, so I'm not sure it'd necessarily fix your problem, but it might be something to ask your LLMD about.

--------------------
Symptom Free!!! Thank you all!!!!

Find me at Lymefriends, I post under the same name.
diet: http://lymefriends.ning.com/group/healthylowcarbrecipes
Homemade Probiotics thread
Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CD57
Member # 11749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CD57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you tried pulsing the Mepron? I pulse it, in high doses, 3x week. The crushing depression I feel from that is worse enough, cannot imagine taking it every day.
Posts: 3528 | From US | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, several people just PM'd me to ask about cryptolepsis dosage. I was taking 1 teaspoonful up to 3 times a day (when I remembered to do it 3 times, some days it was only 2 times a day) of the tincture from woodlandessence.com. Here's one post from Buhner where he says that one could temporarily take up to 1 tablespoon 2 x a day:

http://planetthrive.com/cgi-bin/members/pub9990215891170.cgi?itemid=9990291834517&action=viewad&categoryid=9990235248536&page=2&placeonpage=4&totaldisplayed=50

--------------------
Symptom Free!!! Thank you all!!!!

Find me at Lymefriends, I post under the same name.
diet: http://lymefriends.ning.com/group/healthylowcarbrecipes
Homemade Probiotics thread
Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CherylSue
Member # 13077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CherylSue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went to Planet Thrive and this is what SB says about cryptolepsis:

"Artemisinin is an isolated constituent, cryptolepis is a whole herb, as such it is better for the body and much harder for bacteria to develop resistance to--at this point malaria is developing a rapid resistance to artemisinin but not to cryptolepis. Artemisinin has more side effects, crypto much less--it is much safer for the liver, no side effects have been noted to its use. That is what I would use if I were you."

Posts: 1954 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement