LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » 3 people in VA get babesiosis from blood transfusion

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 3 people in VA get babesiosis from blood transfusion
gemofnj
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 15551

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gemofnj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i cant believe that hospitals dont screen blood donors?? YIKES.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,538741,00.html?sPage=fnc/health/infectious

Posts: 1127 | From atlantic city, nj | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They said the CDC had been notified. I wonder if they sent samples to Igenex? I don't see how they sleep at nite knowing what we know.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tracy9
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracy9         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My son donated at school. He has Babesia Duncani and Lyme, as well as Bartonella. We didn't know he was donating, he was allowed to do so on his own, and they never even asked about Lyme. And this is in CT.

--------------------
NO PM; CONTACT: [email protected]

13 years Lyme & Co.; Small Fiber Neuropathy; Myasthenia Gravis, Adrenal Insufficiency. On chemo for 2 1/2 years as experimental treatment for MG.

Posts: 4480 | From Northeastern Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amy C
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amy C     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OMG Tracy! I told my hubby he shouldn't donate anymore cause we don't know if he has it or not. Scary!! Hope I never need blood. Who knows what is in it??

--------------------
My lyme disease blog:
http://lymetimes3.blogspot.com/
One BIG Lyme family!
I tested CDC + 10/08
My mom Igenex + 11/08 & My brother Igenex + 4/09, My 2 boys some + & IND bands, clinical diagnosis 3/09 (youngest has Aspergers too)

Posts: 470 | From Painesville, Ohio | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
copying this here and breaking up for neuro lyme folks like me [Smile] betty

Three Sick With Rare Tick-Borne Illness

Virginia State health officials say three people have been infected with a rare illness after receiving a blood transfusion.

The three patients have been diagnosed with an infection called babesiosis. Babesiosis is tick-borne and carries malaria-type symptoms with it.

The main carrier of babesiosis are black leg ticks, also known as deer ticks, and they are common in Virginia.

Health officials have tracked the tainted blood back to a donor from Charlottesville that is a frequent hiker.

The illness can be deadly for someone with severe health issues, just the type that would likely need a blood transfusion.

Babesiosis infections from blood transfusions are extremely rare.

Nationally there are 10 million blood donations every year and only 70 times in history has there been a babesiosis infection.

Officials point out this is the first time it's ever happened in Virginia.

Black leg ticks are becoming more and more common in Virginia, which leads to two major problems.

The state doesn't have the funds to track and collect the ticks and a test to screen for the illness doesn't exist.

The Virginia Department of Health is looking into ways to safeguard the blood supply to prevent other infections in the future.

The Center for Disease Control has been made aware of this case.

Copyright 2009 by Young Broadcasting, Inc.

rare my foot! they don't do enough screening for lyme and ALL CO-INFECTIONS!

tracy, i hope you called wherever your son gave blood to get rid of it due to lyme/co-infections...

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
losferwrds
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All the red cross asks is if you are on antibitotics and if you have babesia in the blood screen pre test. I gave 2 weeks before I went to my first LLMD, no mention of lyme on the questionaire. I couldn't donate on the recent blood drive simply because I am on antibiotics, by CDC standards there is nothing wrong me, I only show band41. I asked about showing bart anitbodies and the screener was clueless.
Its terrible, the CDC and Red Cross has their heads further up their a$$ than the IDSA.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement