LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » dDid anybody get better on monotherapy?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: dDid anybody get better on monotherapy?
pugs
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20954

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pugs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just found out the llmd I'm seeing in September does one drug at a time (monotherapy, right?). Did anybody get better this way?

It's too late to cancel and he's relatively close and I'm not well enough to travel.

Posts: 255 | From - | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's doesn't work for me and is completely against what Dr. B states in his Lyme guidelines. I get a bit of symptoms relief at times, but it's no cure/remission strategy IMO. Same with low-dosing, pulsing when you want, etc.

I only noticed ANY improvement when I hit full-dose (and I believe my full-dose is low as my doc doesn't test Abx levels in blood). Herxing is an issue to contend with and be managed though. My impression is baby doses/non-aggressive therapy = treating for 5+ years.

Everyday I wish I could turn back the clock 12 months on my Lyme treatment, and start over with aggressive therapy. It still may have failed, but mono therapy is ignorning a HUGE part of ILADS research. It makes no sense to me.

Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coltman
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for coltman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It looks to me that monotherapy is counterproductive. Bacteria just builds up resistances, and migrates between forms...

To me it looks like you have to hit all forms at same time

Posts: 856 | From MA | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pugs
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20954

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pugs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
uh oh...i'm in trouble then
Posts: 255 | From - | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abxnomore
Member # 18936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abxnomore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Knowing all we know about this spirochete and co infections mono therapy makes little sense.

Plus you need to be on a cyst buster, while on ABX.

Posts: 5191 | From Lyme Zone | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lundeliz
Member # 10806

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lundeliz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been on monotherapy for three years. The

last few months I have added in flagyl, taking

Doxy 4 days a week and flagyl 3 days. I'm not

well, but definitely better.

Posts: 72 | From SW Texas | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I actually believe you can get well on mono therapy but it takes a long time. I have seen others get well this way over a 4 or 5 year period.

I began my therapy with a cyst buster and another antibiotic for 1 month, and have been on mono therapy ever since. Been in treatment 15 months and am slightly better. So there you have it. Mono therapy is not a fast cure.

However, that being said, there are many who have done aggressive therapy for years and are not well yet either.

Also some people cannot handle large multi doses of antibiotics and have no choice but to go "low and slow".

I read where someones doc said "you can fry an eggg fast or slow, but either way it ends up cooked". I think I got that right.

Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The problem is five yesrs (if not on SSDI or granted a LTD approval or lucky enough to have a rich, healthy non-Lymie spouse) will financially bury 95% of sick people. They lose their houses, career, family, etc. The risk is too great. [Frown]
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaveNJ
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17362

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DaveNJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mono therapy served me very well the first 4 months of my treatment...took me from 10% functiontioning to arouind 60%....

Dave

--------------------
On my journey to wellness - One day at a time.

Posts: 989 | From NJ | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Member # 15067

Dave, to hit 100% or 90%, it seems like most people took multiple Abx. I don't know if there is light at the end regardless with a horrid disease such as Lyme, but we need the best hand we can deal ourselves.
sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is so true Seek, but I still haven't had it proven to me that those getting treated aggressively are getting well that much faster.

Also, my body could never handle it. I have mostly done moderate dosing and that was bad enough. My low dose doxy seems like it has done more for me than anything so far. Give me another couple of months and I will let you know.

Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AZURE WISH
Member # 804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AZURE WISH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think different people find different therapies better than others. I dont think there is one answer that is the right one for all of us.

I would be concerned if your dr doesnt consider/address coinfections at all though.

--------------------
multiple chemical sensitvity group:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/multiplechemicalsensitivities

Group for artists. All media welcome:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/creativecorner

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Lyme_Artist

Posts: 3860 | From nj,usa | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ping
Member # 6974

Icon 4 posted      Profile for ping     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
pugs,

Be sure you're understanding this LLMD correctly. Mono-therapy is generally used nowadays as a starting place, not the end-all tx for Lyme.

I don't know what co-infecs you have, but much depends on that dx. If you have coinfecs, then mono-therapy for the duration of tx is out of the question.

Best of tx to you.

ping
"We are more than containers for Lyme"

--------------------
ping

Posts: 1302 | From Back in TX again | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coltman
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for coltman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ping:

Be sure you're understanding this LLMD correctly. Mono-therapy is generally used nowadays as a starting place, not the end-all tx for Lyme.

I think there is great points why monotherapy should never be used:

http://www.publichealthalert.org/Articles/jamesschaller/18_reasons_lyme_treatments_fail.htm

Posts: 856 | From MA | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pugs
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20954

You have all brought up good points. I skimmed the article above..scary. It's possible I misunderstood the doctor's secretary I wll have to see for myself.
ping
Member # 6974

Icon 14 posted      Profile for ping     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
pugs,

It's not unusual to have visits with a couple of different LLMDs in order to find one that you're comfortable with. That said, a person working the front office of a med facility might not have a clue of what's going on in the dr.'s actual practices.

Yours is the right move - Ask the doctor.

ping

--------------------
ping

Posts: 1302 | From Back in TX again | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeorsomething
Member # 16359

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeorsomething     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, how does one explain the successes with Ceftin? Dr. B got well this way...

--------------------
"Whatever can go wrong will go wrong."

Posts: 2062 | From CT | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Member # 15067

Someone on here said Dr. B forgot to mention the IV Rocephin he took beforehand. [Smile]
Lymeorsomething
Member # 16359

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeorsomething     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It would have been nice to hear that from Dr. B himself [Wink]

--------------------
"Whatever can go wrong will go wrong."

Posts: 2062 | From CT | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement