LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Lack of sensation all over - HELP!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lack of sensation all over - HELP!
Neville
Member # 5890

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neville     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Had Lyme for 9 years, but never had symptoms like

this. Began twitching early this year after

having a couple years of doing passably well off

of antibiotics. Began pulsing treatment about 6

weeks ago. Had a poor result on an EMG/nerve

conduction test in July. Non-lyme friendly neuro

said to "wait and see". Began low-dose

naltrexone via my LLMD about 3 weeks ago. Went

up to 2mg about 2 weeks ago and immediately got

worse. Noticed the day before yesterday that I

couldn't feel my face while shaving. Stopped the

naltrexone. Now keep feeling numbness in hands

and feet often, but have a general feeling of

lack of sensation all over body and muscles are

still jumping like crazy. Voice is very weak,

swallowing feels funny. Throat numbness is the

worst. Can barely feel it. Left arm and leg

feel slightly unresponsive.

Have an appt with Dr. K in CT for the middle of

next month, but I don't know if I can wait. Had

a call in to my LLMD since Thursday, but he's

very busy and hasn't got back with me. Am

hesitant to go to a local hospital as they would

likely just shoot me up with prednisone. Ideas?

Suggestions? Very afraid I have ALS now, esp.

with the bad EMG.

Thanks!

[ 08-27-2009, 06:18 PM: Message edited by: Neville ]

Posts: 37 | From Kentucky USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
paulieinct
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17514

Icon 1 posted      Profile for paulieinct     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is a bummer. I've had a lot of numbness, but not that extreme. I'm also on lo-dose natrexone, 3 mg., increasing to 4.5 mg. tonite.

I am wondering if you aren't just herxing REAL badly. If I were you, I don't know if I would wait till your Dr. K. appointment. I think I would go to the ER. First call Dr. K's office,

explain you are in bad condition, would he agree to see you ASAP, or can he give you any advice for what to do until you see him. He might say go to ER.

If I had your symptoms I might take the prednisone for now if ER ordered it, as you will likely get some immediate relief until you can see Dr. K.

Hang in there. I'm sure you will get thru this crisis. This disease #%@&'s bigtime.

--------------------
Sick since at least age 6, now 67. Decades of misdiagnosis. Numerous arthritic, neuro, psych, vision, cardiac symptoms. Been treating for 7 years, incl 8 mos on IV. Bart was missed so now treating that.

Posts: 765 | From nw ct | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
psano2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for psano2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to hear this. I had those kinds of symptoms before I was diagnosed. I remember when the area around my eyes and my cheeks and nose was numb, among other parts of my body. It felt like I'd gotten a shot at the dentist's office.

It sounds like you never got rid of Lyme, since you say you did "passably well" during your years off of abx. So in the meantime, it's been growing back again, and you need to get back on antibiotics (abx).

I think you have to be completely symptom free before taking any long breaks from antibiotics. I would try to wait to see Dr. K, and in the meantime, start taking some herbs, including grapefruit seeds extract.

Posts: 975 | From California | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ukcarry
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 18147

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ukcarry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do get numbness and iciness and 3 years ago I got it as badly as you describe.This was while I still only had the CFS/ME diagnosis.

It did improve over several months and I took extra magnesium and also some R. Lipoic acid, but I don't know what impact that had.

If you have heavy metal problems, you should read up carefully on R and A Lipoic acid before taking it [see Andy Cutler's advice...sorry, no link]

I know it's very distressing, so hope you get some improvement soon,

Carry

Posts: 1647 | From UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
22dreams
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17846

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 22dreams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Neurological testing may reveal more.

I have the same symptoms as you (less the muscle twitching) but my loss of feeling in the neck/throat isn't as pronounced.

Last September, upon being (presumably) re-bitten ---
facial/eyelid numbness, lower leg/shin numbness(noticed while shaving), throat numbness/swallowing weakness ensued--
along with other increased neuro and cognitive symptoms.

Off-and-on, I had boughts of my leg collapsing under me etc, but nothing that stayed.

Since sometime in May, I've had loss of feeling in my arms, head and hands that have remained(in addition with the above since Sept) and my dexterity has diminished although I can still function (fumbling, grasping/holding + gait issues).

I don't know much about neuro disorders except what I've been exposed to but it is reminscent of CIDP. Dr. K may send you off to Dr. Y for more (out-of-pocket) testing and IVIg.

The only LLneuro around where I am hasn't been taking on new patients.

I met someone who couldn't walk but after IVIg now can. But not everyone has positive results with it.

I'm sorry that I can't offer any ideas or advice.
Like someone else said, try getting in touch with the LLMd and if not, the ER.
Hang in there.

Posts: 571 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neville
Member # 5890

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neville     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks so much for all the advice and support.

Still much the same. Did manage to see primary Dr. today to rule out stroke or anything commonly dangerous. Get to speak with my very busy LLMD Monday and also have a neuro appt to push for some more testing.

Just trying to relax and stay out of the ER if I can.

Thanks again.

Neville

Posts: 37 | From Kentucky USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement