LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » antidepressant to help dizziness??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: antidepressant to help dizziness??
kitty9309
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19945

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitty9309     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone had success using a SSRI to help their dizziness?

I posted this link is my other post, but wanted to call special attention to it.

http://archotol.ama-assn.org/cgi/reprint/131/8/675.pdf

I was on Lexapro (in my 2nd of now 3 years of this dizziness) for anxiety and it did not help the dizziness.

I'd be willing at this point to try again with different dose/ssri. I plan to ask the doctor.

Posts: 819 | From East Coast | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cass A
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 11134

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cass A     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hon, antidepressants have such terrible adverse effect profiles that they are the LAST thing I would try for some other symptom, like dizziness.

In my opinion, you need adequate treatment for the underlying cause. SSRIs only mask the symptoms, after all.

I had problems with dizziness. Treating Babesia handled it. Period.

Best,

Cass A

Posts: 1245 | From Thousand Oaks, CA | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitty9309
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19945

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitty9309     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks.

I am playing a little bit of devils advocate on this and at the same time wondering if my part of this dizziness is anxiety. (really don't think so, but forced myself to take a look)

I do agree with you about treatment. I am in treatment for Lyme and Bart, but will be puhing my doctor on the Babesia issue. I have had some stops/starts with my meds, but am now on track at full doses of 2/3 meds.

My dizziness is a chronic everyday off balance/dysequalibrium. It makes shopping, driving and working next to impossible most of the time.

Thanks again, Cass A.

Posts: 819 | From East Coast | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MorningSong
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19989

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MorningSong     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
kitty~

I had dizziness and was diagnosed with POTS (Postural Orthostatic Tachacardia Syndrome). My doctor has me taking 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt (not regular salt) a day.

Talk to your doc first to see if this may help. Also make sure you are getting enough Magnesium, water, etc.

Posts: 515 | From In His Loving Care | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitty9309
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19945

Thanks. My doctor does think Dysautonomia/POTS is part of the problem- high heart rate when sitting/standing.

I am also sure some is inner ear- due to previous mis-diagnosis of Meneire's Disease.

The irony is that I followed a low salt diet when dx'd inner ear and then was told to use salt when dx'd tachy/Migraine Asscoiated Vertigo.

Every other doctor says something to contradict the other...

dguy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dguy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SSRIs are often rxed for dizziness that is migraine related (vestibular migraine, migraine associated vertigo) because in some patients the migraine is related to excess electrical activity in the brain due to a problem with serotonin, which is a calming neurotransmitter. SSRIs influence serotonin.

One of the hotter medical research areas this decade has been the connection between serotonin and the immune system (google it and read the reports). For many lymies, the infection prompts excess immune response that is somewhat auto-immune like. With our immune systems out of kilter, it's no surprise if serotonin levels are also abnormal.

In such a case, the dizziness of MAV is merely a symptom of lyme, and no one gets well by treating symptoms.

IMO the only justification for treating a symptom is 1) if the symptom is intolerable, 2) such treatment does not have concerning side effects, and 3) if treatment of the real cause is concurrent.

In my experience, boosting GABA, another calming neurotransmitter, yielded much more dizziness reduction than boosting serotonin. But don't only treat symptoms, if you want to recover you must treat the cause.

Posts: 727 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitty9309
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19945

I was also diagnosed with MAV after they decided I didn't really have Meneire's! I knew it was not that.

Lexapro did not help. A neuro originally wanted me on Cymbalta, but that scared me too much. Ironically, after another Medrol-Pak (didn't know I had Lyme), major anxiety and insomnia insued. I was then rx'd Lexapro, xanax. tradadone. Stopped after about 9 months w/ no change.

I was hoping to do #3 on your list above. Treat the symptoms while on abx for Lyme/Bart. It has gone on so long, that I have not been into work more than a few hours a week for 3 years! Luckily, I am considered on-call and I have a letter from my doctor.

I will read up on serotonin and the immune system- Thanks.

(I should add that several of my symptoms are gone. It is this dysequalibrium that is the most disabling and still remains.)

I am being treated. No one understand that the dizziness is this nearly constant rocking/dysequalibrium that makes it very hard to drive, work, shop and cook.

kitty9309
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19945

dguy:

Found this:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/01/060119230939.htm

"He said that while it may be possible that SSRI drugs may restore a healthy immune function in people who are depressed and prone to infections, it is possible that they might also bolster immunity to the point that they trigger autoimmune disease. "At this point we just don't know how these drugs might affect immunity, so we really need to clarify the normal role of serotonin in immune cell functioning," Ahern said."

""But it is something that should be explored because we really have no idea what SSRIs are doing to people's immune systems."

That's great. Not only did I get a lot of steroids before finally getting dx'd w/ Lyme (after 14 years), I was also on an SSRI whicj also could have messed me up!

lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeHerx001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had chronic vertigo now for 6 years. It used to be once in a while but with treatment it sent me into a herx and it only got worse.

This past winter I was diagnosed with MAV after all neuro vestibular tests came back normal.

My nose is also abnormally dry and I am very sensitive to mold.

Do you have any of this?

Posts: 2905 | From New England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitty9309
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19945

Currently, I am mostly OK except for this dysequalibrium/rocking sensation.

Do have a lot of post nasal drip, but so do a lot of people.

I think treatment has brought our some of the worst of the dizziness- like driving being tough.

Cass A
Member # 11134

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cass A     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Kitty9309,

Sorry to learn that the dysequalibrium/rocking sensation is so disabling for you!

I felt the same about the vertigo I had--no WAY I was driving or working when that hit!!!!

In getting off any SSRI, be very slow and careful. These things can cause physiological addiction. That means that the body now may have horrific sensations if it doesn't get the SSRI.

This is most pronounced with Paxil. In fact, many people who started Paxil after the 9/11 attack in NYC found they couldn't stop. Lawsuits are happening over this.

The book, Your Drug May Be Your Problem, has a discontinuation protocol in it.

Best,

Cass A

Posts: 1245 | From Thousand Oaks, CA | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitty9309
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19945

CassA-

Thanks. I am already off the Lexapro a year now. It was no problem for me. I did it in 1/4 tab increments.

Kitty

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement