LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » egads!!! now i've got whiplash!!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: egads!!! now i've got whiplash!!!
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you know i should just stand under a lightning bolt or something.

went to doc on friday. "you have one hell of a case of whiplash" oh yeah, tell me about it.

i can barely move my neck now, inbetween my shoulder blades is so sore i could scream.

he said i've damaged the (somebody help me out here) rhamboid muscle, and trapezoids. is that right? anyway the muscles that connect the shoulder blades to the spine and go around the side.

i have all the symptoms, headache, balance, dizzy, excruciating pain, you name it.

he said cervical and cranial damage would show immediately and since mine has shown up so late, like a month, that it's muscular. he said the muscles are tiring of keeping things in place and that's why mine is showing up so late.

makes since huh?

please if anyone has had this or can help me out, would you let me know? he suggested therapy but i can't stand to be touched. gave me flexeril and said if that doesn't work take the soma. nothing for pain, but said take two alleve about every six hours.

he said this could take MONTHS to resolve. said the worse the whiplash the longer to recover. and he said some people this causes chronic neck and back pain. yeah, right, like i need this.

anybody???

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
randi hugs/kisses ... sorry to read this.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silverwolf
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9196

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silverwolf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
<<<<< Randibear >>>>>,

Hon,I swear we're related...

My last fall in July,when I finally went to Dr.he said well...it's definetley back sprain w/ whiplash type injury...

I know how you feel...and I just fell again this a.m. ...Maybe I need to wrap in bubble wrap or something...[just posted on Gen'Sup'board].

Did they give you a muscle relaxant/anti-inflammatory??? Well now we know what those ferocious headaches were from.

I'll keep praying for us both to get healthier... please be super careful Randi'...rest as much as you can.

I'll try to PM after awhile...when I can think ...

Just Silverwolfi-Klutzo

--------------------
2006,May-August2006 Dx w/ Lyme/Bartonella/White Matter Lesion Disease on Brain.
[ Clinical Dx w/ two positives and several IND's on the tests from Igenex ], Prior Dx of CFIDS/CEBV 1992, and FMS '93-'94
Diabetes*2 Dx 10/'08

Posts: 3581 | From SE Idaho | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh hon, you know that movie with mel gibson and tina turner, at the end where she comes up on him and says "my, my ain't we a pair"....that's us, huh?

even riding in a car hurts and my shoulder blades are killing me. having this large chest doesn't help either.

if the pain gets bad enough, that's it, i'm off to the bloody ER.

i'll get in touch with you by private email.

--------------------

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shosty
Unregistered

I've been dealing with this for 2 years. I have a lot of neurological symptoms with the old whiplash injury, including eyes that jiggle (nystagmus), dizziness, trouble with bright or flashing lights, and some off sensations, especially if my neck is jolted at all (and I mean even shaking a jar to get the tomato sauce out).

I am now doing physical therapy. I tried it a month after the injury, and the therapy was too aggressive. I ran away.

This time, it was very painful at first, and I almost ran away again. I found a therapist who does a lot of manual work, and who sets up exercises in the proper sequence so that I am strengthening only what is stable. After all this time, it is no longer just my neck and shoulders that are affected. The rest of my body compensated and, for example, my pelvis is twisted.

I am using Baclofen, only a tiny amount, just before therapy or right after, so that I can do the strengthening. It is a catch 22 because lack of strength in the muscles (and lack of range of motion or flexibility) makes the exercises very painful, but at the same time, it is the exercises that can strengthen and increase flexibility. So, the baclofen helps that happen. But I have only taken it a few times, really, because of side effects to which I am prone.

I would strongly recommend getting to a therapist who is very, very good with this type of thing, and who also understands Lyme and other disease processes. Often, a rehab has better therapists than a sports place.

I wish I had also looked into steroids right after the injury. Anyone with Lyme is cautious about this, but if on antibiotics, I think it would be safe for a few days.

You are way ahead of the game with a physician who understands this. Many write off whiplash patients in the same way patients with CFS and Lyme are written off.

Oh- and chiropractors can be very helpful. Due to the whiplash, my muscles were swelling and pressing on the arteries to my brainstem. That is the reason for some of the neuro effects.

I am actually improving a lot. I am shocked. I had tried to accept this as a permanent condition, but it is changing. Good Luck!

laceyj
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13862

Icon 1 posted      Profile for laceyj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what kind of therapy is recommended?

I have never really recoverd from whiplash and ended up with tmj

But if you're too sore to be touched, look into cranial sacral therapy, that is what helped me the most. Also MSM might help the muscle pain.

Posts: 187 | From FL | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

my doc said something about myofacial something or other, syndrome. trigger points and all. he said there is a book by somebody called devlin starlanyl or something.

he touched the muscles out on the side where the blades are, not the spine itself, and i almost burst into tears. it was that painful.

i'm afraid to let a chiropractor near me. unfortunately i've heard more bad than good, but i know they are tremendously helpful to some people. but i'd want more testing before i go to one, cause i want to make absolutely sure it's not structural.

i did speak to a radiologist about having some ct scans and mri's and he said right now i've had a ton of those in my lifetime and he's worried about me having too much radiation.

right now it's closing on effecting my lifestyle big time.

--------------------

Shosty
Unregistered

I forgot to mention chills. Any pressure on my neck and most types of motion gave me amazing chills. Again, I was told this was from pressure on the blood vessels supplying the brainstem.

Whatever your problems after the whiplash, I just want to emphasize the importance of finding the right physical therapist. One who is willing to listen and adjust treatment, start gentle and slow.

Also, make sure there is some massage involved.

Not only did touch hurt me at first, but even the slightest brushing of my arm would cause chills and tingling and electric sensations. This might be from Lyme or the residues of Lyme, or from lupus, but the complexities of treating anything when you are also dealing with Lyme, can be beyond some therapists.

My Lyme doctor and I are now trying to figure out how much of a factor Lyme is in all this. I as on antibiotics for years, but have been off for two years. The whiplash happened while I was still on.

What is MSM?

p.s. chiropractors do not have to do major adjustments on the table, they have other types of adjustments...I have a few spinal fractures down further on my spine, and have had no problems since the chiro knows about them

p.p.s. mri's do not have any radiation

laceyj
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13862

Icon 1 posted      Profile for laceyj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did lots of chiropractor stuff and it made everything worse. It helped only for a day or so. Looking back , I wish I would of only done the gentle chiropractor with the activator.

I wouldnt really do anything that actually causes more pain. I do not understand the therapists that say it has to hurt and then feel better, believe me it does not.

I did hear of a myofascial release somewhere but i havent tried and not sure what it is.

does anything help like a hot tub?

Cranial sacral is what i liked best and does NOT hurt. They barely touch you which is surprising that it does something but it does. And possibly accupuncture may be of help.

Oh MSM is a natural supplement, you can google it. It has tons of benefits but can help with muscles and ligaments and pain. Start with a low dose and work up.

Posts: 187 | From FL | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shosty
Unregistered

The studies on MSM look kind of iffy. Does it really help you?

It looks as if gut bacteria are involved in producing MSM in our bodies naturally. So it is possible that a deficiency could result from antibiotics, as they kill gut bacteria.

Another reason to take probiotics perhaps-?

laceyj
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13862

MSM helps me sometimes just like anything else, have to keep changing stuff

but for some people it is an absolute miracle

Silverwolf
Member # 9196

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silverwolf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
<<<<< Randibear-Sistah-Friend >>>>>,

How you doin'? Are any of the meds helping???Gentle hugs dear friend!!!

<<<<< Shosty and LaceyJ >>>>> I hope you are finding helpful treatments...

<<<<< Betty'>>>>> Maybe we all need to start a 'Murphy's Law' Accident/Injury group! [hmmm M'LAIG].

I've got to find something to get my muscles,tendons and cartilage,back into shape..or I'm gonna be Wolfi shaped jelly...OY!!!

I don't suppose padding the walls and floors would help? Then we'd prolly trip over the soft padding...or I would anyhow.

Slippin'-trippin'Silverwolfi

--------------------
2006,May-August2006 Dx w/ Lyme/Bartonella/White Matter Lesion Disease on Brain.
[ Clinical Dx w/ two positives and several IND's on the tests from Igenex ], Prior Dx of CFIDS/CEBV 1992, and FMS '93-'94
Diabetes*2 Dx 10/'08

Posts: 3581 | From SE Idaho | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
laceyj
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13862

oh gosh, thanks for encouragement.

but another thing to look at for head neck trauma is biocranial treatment, its something else they move your neck to the left and right all the way but it seems to help with that stuff

also i love intramax supplement for support
my chiropractor sells it
of course the biofreeze i use on my neck
chiropractic i hate just cause everyone is sooo traumatic

but cranial sacral- love it
bio cranial is good too- can google practitioners
and myofacial release or barnes technique have not tried yet
but to me if its more of gentle technique it lasts longer and better rather then whipping the neck around
oh yeah, dont forget walking and lightly rebounding
rebounding is amazing, i like carter rebounder,,,
simple is sometimes better
no need in rushing -
but thats just my experience.
hope that helps some!

lymeinhell
Member # 4622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeinhell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please make sure you get an MRI with contrast BEFORE you let any chiro work on you. If you have a herniation, you want to be sure to not things make worse.

I am not anti-chiro in the least, but an MRI would let you know what you are really dealing with. Don't fall for the xray with your neck tipped forward and they tell you it's whiplash, your neck is curved the wrong way.

Try the flexeril - it's benefits are cumulative so give it some time.

Trigger point therapy is very helpful to break up muscle spazms. I had to have many many done on the back of my skull and shoulders.

If you go this route, be sure they only use lidocaine in the injection - no steriods (they'll call them anti-inflammatories).

--------------------
Julie
_ _ ___ _ _
lymeinhell

Blessed are those who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed.

Posts: 2258 | From a better place than I was 11 yrs ago | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is Devin's site:
http://www.sover.net/~devstar/

She suffers from this herself.

Some doctors think myofascial pain syndrome and fibromyalgia are the same thing. I tend to agree. Devin does not think they are the same thing or at least didn't think so the last time I checked.

Trigger points cause referred pain. They can cause practically unlimited symptoms because they press on nerves, blood vessels, muscles etc..

You can get trigger point injections. They can be painful and don't last from what I've heard from my sister. You can find a massage therapist who can work on trigger points. Helped my daughter greatly. She spent thousands of dollars for her co-pay on testing only to find out that her headache was quickly relieved with trigger point massage. You can use a theracane to work out the trigger points.

This book was very helpful for me because it shows trigger point referred pain patterns. Also explains a lot about trigger points.
http://www.triggerpointbook.com/

I used to have trigger points all over my body and they hurt a LOT. Rocephin and detox both seemed to help a lot. They can be set off by an accident. You can tell where they are because when you touch them they hurt like h***.

Hope you feel better soon.

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement