LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Azithromycin ?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Azithromycin ?
Cindy Ss
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was taking this abx for 8 days 250 mg then went up another dose to 500mg after 3days I had so much pain in my liver area under right rib cage and in mid back both sides like kidney area.

This abx was doing very well for me cleared up the tremors I have had since the beginning of this disease. I didn't do well on Doxi or Ceftin, just got sicker but this abx I was hoping would be a good one for me until this happened. I stopped this abx now on 5th day with no abx. (This is only 12th week of treatment for me)

My LLMD told me that I should hold off for another couple days until pain is gone then try the one dose again since it was clearing up some of my symptoms.

Has anyone had a reaction like this from an abx, if so what did you do? I really want to keep taking this for continued improvement, but don't want to damage any organs...possibly just inflamation in these areas...

I have yet to go to the ER with this disease but I was close on Sunday, very sick bubbly feeling in liver area as well as pain wraped around side to back.

I was feeling so good from this abx I was getting out of the house and I think I overdid it also. Now I guess I'm paying for it [Frown]

Laying down with heating pad is helping and it is slowly improving.

Any experience with this reaction from Azithromycin or any other abx? Thought I would share this with you all.

Thanks for any input...

CIndy

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gemofnj
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 15551

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gemofnj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cindy,

Is your doctor testing your liver enzymes on a monthly basis?

Its VERY important while on any kind of abx.

You might want to take Milk Thistle as liver protection and increase your detoxing methods. There may be other herbs for liver as well.

If you put in detox at the top a whole bunch of great suggestions will pop up.

Personally, I was on zith and had occasional soreness or inflammation in liver area, but not chronic.

Could you have kidney stones?

If it persists, more than a few days, or you have a fever, i would call the doc immediately!!

Posts: 1127 | From atlantic city, nj | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cindy Ss
Unregistered

Yes I have had the enzymes tested several times, just before beginning this abx it was a perfect number...

I am also on Milk Thistle 300mg per day.

I think it was just too much for me, not sure why maybe due to my over doing it for the day and the inflamation I have. My liver are has alway hurt it was one of my first symptoms but it has always check out fine. So I think Dr. thinks it is inflamation but suggest to wait with abx until pain is gone then continue with lower dose.

I have been check for kidney stones a few months ago and everything CT scan, Xray, Bloodwork all came back very normal.

My ALT # was up a few points before I began abx but came back down and has always been fine since.

My GP did not check the blood work because I just had it done the beginning of September for the liver and lots of other bloodwork...

SO I guess I can only do what LLMD suggest and hopefully get to take this abx, it was really getting rid of some symptoms that none of the others had... it is feeling much better today, but not completely gone yet. Hopefully tomorrow [Smile]

THanks for you help,

CIndy

gemofnj
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 15551

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gemofnj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sounds like you have everything covered. perhaps drinking lots of lemon water can get things moving and of course detoxing if you can.

hope you feel better! [Smile]

Posts: 1127 | From atlantic city, nj | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doc only checks once every four months. Not ideal IMO. I pushed back hard as it's unacceptable risk to me. Every 2 months is OK I think unless on heavy duty meds.
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cindy Ss
Unregistered

I see two Drs. my LLMD (90 Min away) and a local Dr. that is so caring but knows nothing about lyme. I have had regular blood testing almost every month or more with my local PC since February. AS most DR.'s she is concerned with long term abx and high doses, but knows it is part of the program.

I feel better once per month and if I tell her that she will agree to it for me, pretty sure. But it seems like if I am having trouble in a certain area, such as I was getting B12 injections but having nervous jitters after, so she had blood test for B12 and I was way over 1000 units or? the cut off I think is 800 or so. So we stopped the injections.

It's hard to communicate with any LLMD that is so far away from you home base, all you can do it make a phone call and get an update. WHich mine has always been great at but I don't think there is anything like an in person visit where they can see you face and body...I get this from my local PC. See her probably once or twice per month for something or the other. Mostly anxiety which she prescribed Buspar for.

At first I thought it was the Buspar cusing this kidney/liver pain, but both Dr. agreed that they probably thought it was the higher dose of abx. So Thank you for you help
I am slowly getting rid of the pain but it is still there off and on.

Will wait a few more days then go back on abx. I have been off for 5 or 6 days now and my other symptoms seem to be staying away for now
[Smile]

I have never been able to take the super high doses of any abx...hope it does't slow my recover too much. Dr. seems to think that if I am improving then I am getting better. But it is a slow process and my infetions has only been since last August I began treatment about 10 months after my bite and 6 months after my symptoms.

This abx got rid of my internal tremors, so it must be working on something and I hate to have to give it up...

THanks you for all your support and help,

(Seek) i think we see same DR? Did you ask him to check you every 2 months at his office or or you having done locally. What bloodwork do you get regularly to check your organs, etc.?

I was wondering if this adrenal fatigue could cause pain in the kidney area? (I have lots of symptoms of that) THe pain is up a ittle higher than the kidney's but in the general area of them. The liver seems to have calmed down more than the back area.

You are all so helpful, hope I can help out one day

CIndy [Big Grin]

WildCondor
Unregistered

Remember that only a portion of that Zithromax is actually absorbed, so the dose should be 600-1,200 mg per day, not 500 mg. Make sure you are getting enough of the antibiotic. Zithromax is rarely used alone so what will you be combining it with?
Cindy Ss
Unregistered

Thats great but what do you do when you have the pain in the liver and/or kidney area with even 500mg?

Had same problem with other abx...what do you do?

You can damage your organs with these abx, I know you need to take them at these doses and I'm not combining this yet probably because of I'm still seeing what I can tolerate.

My numbers arent' bad on anything but Dr. are concerned with this pain I have?

Why would I be improving with the 250mg dose and as soon as I increase to 500mg do I have this trouble? I am still so new to this...

I have been totally off abx this is day 6 and still have some soreness in these areas. I need to start it again, but need to wait until pain is gone.

WC are you a doctor or nurse?... I notice you post alot about these higher doses and yes it does concern me because I'm not taking them.

But I know all LLMD treat differently, I just received and read the book "Insights into Lyme Disease Treatment" everyone of these LLMD treat the patient differently some are concerned with high abx doses and don't even give them.???

If only a portion of the Zithromax is absorbed why did such a small portion affect me in a good way then when tried to raise it a bad way?

Sorry to lay all questions on you? But this is scary when you have this pain you think of damage...

I do thank you for trying to help...

CIndy

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement