LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Anyone elses eyes whacked up?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone elses eyes whacked up?
feelfit
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have just had extensive eye testing as a baseline before beginning Plaquinel. I have had eye testing in the past by a LL neuro-opthalmologist, but this new opthalmologist did tests that I have never encountered.

My first appt was 2 1/2 hours long and entailed the basic testing plus dilation. Some pictures, optic nerve exam etc. all was good.

He wanted me back for another appt for some tests that I have NEVER had, I don't even know the name of them, or what they are looking for.

But.....

I swear I went bling a few times temporarily during these tests. I could only see darkness and the blood vessels in my eye.

The test entailed looking into a deep globe like thing with my chin on a rest. I had one eye covered and was to stare at a dot and click a button whenever I saw a red light anywhere in my vision. My right eye went totally black. I freaked. I had a HA before the appt and it felt like my head would blow off now as well.

When testing my left eye, sx were not as bad, but still weird....now I am seeing yellow hazy vision this evening.

Anyone have this test? My eyes and brain are obviously messed up. I have had the occular auras for years.....this test took the cake.

I thought I was going blind. I have severe head pressure too after the test.

THOUGHTS?

Posts: 3975 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think what you are describing is a visual field test. Hubby has had these in the past. You should get a copy of a nice little chart showing where your blind spots are in each eye -- everyone has blind spots.

If they dilated your eyes -- then they probably used an anticholinergic med. This used to make hubby feel better -- would stop tremors and G.I. spasms much the same as Benadryl does.

You might want to consider supplementing with bilberry. See the link I posted in the thread below.

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/86340

Surprisingly hubby's eyesight has improved (less near sighted) over the last 2 years. I think this is due to getting rid of babesia. He does have small cataracts on both eyes though which is probably a result of oxidative stress. Still has eye pain from time to time which seems to be due to bart or mycoplasma.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feelfit
Member # 12770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
that's it Bea it was called a 'visual field test'

I swear that I went temporarily blind in my right eye more than once...my head hurt like heck and I kept saying that I needed to stop.

They obviously had not had anyone react like this before and were very perplexed....me too.

No dilation this time, just looking at that light in the globe.

Thanks for your input Bea, always appreciated.

Feelfit

Posts: 3975 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starfall1969
Member # 17353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starfall1969     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had one of those visual field tests too. They are weird!

Then they decided to redo it because something was a bit odd in my left eye--well, I had been complaining about losing vision in that eye.

Then after the second test they said everything was within normal range.

Yeah, whatever.

Posts: 1682 | From Dillsburg, PA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
2roads
Member # 4409

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2roads     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah...it is a visual field test.

My son of 7 had one of those. He sat still pretty well.

You can cheat on these though. But the nurse said she didn't catch him peaking outside of the little white light.

You should have gotten a picture of what was a normal blind spot for each eye, and hopefully, nothing else.

These are vision therapy tests and in my opinion, should be accessable through a regular Optometrist. OT's today need to learn this field which is up and coming.

Posts: 2214 | From West Chester, PA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feelfit
Member # 12770

I have a follow-up with the doctor next week. He was not in yesterday. All they were doing were these visual field tests.....

So, I guess that I'll find out. Had occular auras all night on and off and have a migraine today.

I did read that these tests are give to MS patients and do tell a bit about how the optic nerve is functioning.\

Thanks for the replies,
feelfit

EyeBob
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12572

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EyeBob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your "blindness" you experience during the VF test is called Troxler Fading, a very common occurrance that can occur if you stare at anything long enough.

bt

Posts: 299 | From New Hampshire | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feelfit
Member # 12770

Well thank you EyeBob, that is encouraging!
aMomWithHope
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19255

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aMomWithHope     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My daughter will be getting her vision field exam next week for baseline readings before starting Plaquenil.

She was scheduled to get it today; however, after they dilated her eyes, they said they couldn't do the test today while she was dilated!

She did get a regular eye exam though, and the doc found a scar on her retina which was never noticed before. The tech took a picture of it--we asked to get a copy, since it is rather cool looking: almost looks like the planet Mars!--not sure where this scar came from--another thing to blame on Lyme and co?

The doc did say the scar is located in an area that will cause no problems with her vision and is very far from the macular and optic nerves, but it is still curious as to how this scar formed--my daughter never had any eye trauma, etc.

She goes back for the vision field test next week--with no dilation. She will also get a pressure test done too since she complains a lot of pressure pain behind her eyes. I wonder if the scar could be causing the pressure pain?

Do you think you might have had such a bad reaction--temporary blindness--to the vision test because of your eyes being dilated?

I'll let you know if my daughter experiences the same weird globe test. Hopefully she won't have any bad side effects.

I hope your eyes and head are feeling better today and that your eye test results are good.

Keep us posted too regarding your experiences on plaquenil--seems like many here are starting up on it soon.

Posts: 648 | From northeast | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feelfit
Member # 12770

Mom,

My eyes were not dilated. They were at my first appt., but not at the visual field test.

I also do not think that I had 'Troxler Fading' as EyeBob suggested. I looked it up and the symptoms do not seem to fit.

My eye went totally dark and I saw my eyes blood vessels.....my eye was OPENED, so not a closed eye reaction either.

My brain is very screwed up, so I think that the lights caused some strange synapse....just my take on it.

My headache is pretty much gone today but yesterday was spent with my head packed in ice and hot rice bags.

aMomWithHope
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19255

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aMomWithHope     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yicks, I'm sorry to hear the pain that you experienced. What a frightening experience that must have been.

The reaction you had to the lights sounds very scary. I know that sometimes lights can cause epileptics to go into a seizure, so I wonder if somehow the bright lights caused something similar in you--not that it was a seizure or that you are an epileptic--but as you mentioned, reacting to the synapses. I would definitely mention that to the eye doctor though for future reference and monitoring.

Happy to hear that your head pain is better today!

Posts: 648 | From northeast | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement