LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Could this have been H1N1?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Could this have been H1N1?
cactus
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cactus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know there is no definite answer to this, without having had testing - but I would like some opinions on whether this was H1N1 that plowed through my family over the summer.

Anyone game to look at these symptoms and give me their thoughts?

5 year old had it first - woke in the night with temp 103, went a bit higher than that 103.5 or so, but did respond well to Motrin.

Sore throat, slight cough, runny nose. Generally miserable.

Pedi said (on the phone) that it's going around and not to bring him in unless he got worse or we need reassurance.

At the time, no one in our state was testing for H1N1 any longer (so they said), so testing was out.

The worst was over in a few days, but it took awhile to get him back to 100%.

Hubby and I had it as well - same basic symptoms. But not as severe as the kiddo.

Eldest son then had it - and his lasted 2 weeks, after developing bronchitis and an ear infection.

We are hoping that was our bout with H1N1 is over, but not sure that the symptoms or timeline fits.

Overall, it feels like it might have been too mild to have been H1N1.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

--------------------
�Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?� - A.A. Milne

Posts: 1987 | From No. VA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know, but I've heard that the H1N1 is mild in MANY cases. I hope you already had it, so you don't have to worry about it!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it does sound like it. you can go to cdc site to see about 8 sx

it makes sense that the older one had it worse

testing is so bad it will not tell you if it is h1n1 or not-something like 10-70% accurate

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cactus
Member # 7347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cactus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the hope that it might have been H1N1!

I sure hope it was.

Funny if so - I thought I'd have it the worst of us all... yet it was our 17 year old, healthy as a horse kid who had the worst time of it.

--------------------

Posts: 1987 | From No. VA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
disturbedme
Member # 12346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for disturbedme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've wondered if I had it as well and am hoping I have just so I don't have to worry about it too much this year. [Frown]

In August I came down with something that seemed like a cold. Started with a sore throat that lasted at least four or five days. Then it turned into sneezing and runny nose and a mild cough as well as headache and muscle aches and a little bit of nausea, but the nausea only lasted a day at most. The entire thing lasted about eight to 10 days in total. This happened in the summer!!! And even while we were at the beach! lol. The only difference is I never really had a fever from it. The highest was probably a very low grade fever of 99.2 or so, but not more than that. But I have read that not everyone has a fever with the swine flu.

--------------------
One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar.
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Posts: 2965 | From Land of Confusion (bitten in KS, moved to PA, now living in MD) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've heard it's expected to be worse in the healthier people. That is what happened in 1918. So many died then because there were no antibiotics.

Healthier people have a stronger immune system, thus a stronger reaction to the virus.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tick battler
Member # 21113

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tick battler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi cactus,

It does sound like what my boys have had. One of my twin boys had the high fever this past summer (up to 104.5) and then improved rapidly with Tamiflu. He was tested by the state and it was confirmed as the swine flu.

His other symptoms were slight cough and some minor congestion. The fever came out of nowhere. He was fine all day and then when I checked on him at 10 pm that night (to feel his forehead checking for night sweats), I noticed he was burning up.

My other son I believe got it this morning (fever up to 103.7 before we gave him Tylenol) and as you heard earlier today, Dr. J put him on Tamiflu and he is doing much better tonight. The Tamiflu really seems to help a lot. He does have a slight cough but not much congestion.

I have heard that it can be very mild. I would guess your family had it since it happened in the summer. Wasn't that something unique about the swine flu...that it was happening year round?

I am also hoping my son who had it last summer will be immune to it. I guess we will see.

tickbattler

Posts: 1763 | From Malvern, PA | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cactus
Member # 7347

tickbattler, I'm so happy to hear that your little guy is better tonight. I've been wondering about that!

disturbed, it does sound like you may have had it, too. Wouldn't it be great to think that's out of the way for the season?

Six - good point about the healthier people having it worse. That fits.

Sure hoping we've already put in our time with this one...

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement