LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » How to Read Supplement Labels

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How to Read Supplement Labels
GiGi
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.ecoquestintl.com/dlrdown/website_infolibrary/8009howtoreadlabels.pdf
Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
massman
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now GiGi - you may be skating on thin ice here [Wink]

I have gotten in deeeeeep trouble here posting about the differences between real vitamins with everything God + Nature put in them and the fractions + parts that many think are real vitamins [Eek!]

A thread here was closed after the thread starter mentioned the "vitamins" a doc sold and I said I was going to call the doc. Apparently the PM lines almost burned up + the thread was closed by the lady that started it. Imagine ! One doc calling another [Roll Eyes]

I did get chucked off one site while trying to explain the differences. That was part of my continuing ed. [Razz]

I can loan you some waders if you need them !

[woohoo]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I see my integrative doc does seem to know what they are doing after all. [Smile] THanks GiGi.
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
springshowers
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 19863

Icon 1 posted      Profile for springshowers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you GIGI for posting that..

A great reminder to us all... about the vitamins and supplements we buy and use..... or should not use...

Posts: 2747 | From Unites States Of America | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coltman
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for coltman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its quite interesting subject. - I read similar chart recently elsewhere

I do find it problematic that those "better vitamins" cost significantly more than their synthetic analogs. And I am not all that convinced they really any better ,especially considering much lower concentration of them

For example most (all ?)of clinical research you can find about vitamins and supplements is based on synthetic forms. There is plenty of data for about dosages ,effects (or lack of ) etc. But there is none for "natural ones" .

I kinda try to choose ones with more "natural" components ( if the dosages are roughly equal and price is right), but given the example in that article I would probably go with B ( albeit neither of them looks good to me - too low vit c ,contains chromium and iron - dont need those)

I am leaning towards using yeast and lecithin for cognitive supplements, whey protein for BCAA ,they are cheap ,come in bulk form and pretty close to "natural"

Posts: 856 | From MA | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
massman
Unregistered

coltman - are you really buying into the american babble of "more is always better" BS [bonk] ?

Chem engineers CANNOT measure what the always there naturally occurring co-factors do, so they say the co-factors DO nothing. (ref: my personal conversation with a member of the [bow] Linus Pauling Institute 3 years ago)

When you have ALL the cofactors then you do not need high doses of one or two factors. The body cannot HEAL without all the co-factors present.

coltman
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for coltman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by massman:

Chem engineers CANNOT measure what the always there naturally occurring co-factors do, so they say the co-factors DO nothing.

That part I agree with . Once they had just couple of vitamin B's. then they discovered more and more and more. There is plethora of them which are not really completely identified and researched.

There certainly needs to be a lot more investigation into nutrients

quote:

When you have ALL the cofactors then you do not need high doses of one or two factors. The body cannot HEAL without all the co-factors present.

Well how do you know one particular supplement has "ALL" cofactors? That is the dilemma. With stock synthetic stuff I load on non toxic stuff at the higher end, try to avoid stuff with potential detrimental effects and try to eat veggies ( though selection at my local supermarket is rather depressing )

Ultimately with such uncertain things as supplements I have to balance it with the price and ease of management. I spent quite a bit of time building my current supplement regimen and the hardest part was coming up with the right dosages and try to encompass all synergistic supplements (like for example vit b12 alone is not that good without EFAs ,choline and lecithin)

Now all of sudden I read all synthetic stuff is no good. Well -thats not quite true as the benefits are proven (for stuff like vit B, NAC, ALCAR), after all the research and trials were done with synthetic stuff

I mean how do I know those people claims about "more natural" stuff are correct and not just a marketing gimmick (maybe even based on some logical theory , but its just speculation nevertheless)

Posts: 856 | From MA | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coltman
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21272

quote:
Originally posted by coltman:
[QB] [QUOTE]Originally posted by massman:

Chem engineers CANNOT measure what the always there naturally occurring co-factors do, so they say the co-factors DO nothing.

How do you think they found about "co factors"? They just didnt bother to investigate all the different compounds and their 3d molecular structure (which is relatively recent wave in chemistry for complex compounds and their interaction ) at the time. More compounds are discovered and many are found to be useful

But yes generally I agree with your notion - . Once they had just couple of vitamin B's. then they discovered more and more and more. There is plethora of them which are not really completely identified and researched.

There certainly needs to be a lot more investigation into nutrients

But if by co-factors you mean some kind of homeopathic energy bonding stuff - I don't believe in energy at this level beyond chemistry and molecular geometry. I might be wrong - but until it is documented , there is sufficient evidence and its explained exactly how to use it for practical application its use is imho dubious

quote:

Well how do you know one particular supplement has "ALL" cofactors? That is the dilemma. With stock synthetic stuff I load on non toxic stuff at the higher end, try to avoid stuff with potential detrimental effects and try to eat veggies ( though selection at my local supermarket is rather depressing )

Ultimately with such uncertain things as supplements I have to balance it with the price and ease of management. I spent quite a bit of time building my current supplement regimen and the hardest part was coming up with the right dosages and try to encompass all synergistic supplements (like for example vit b12 alone is not that good without EFAs ,choline and lecithin)
while not running bankrupt at same time

Now all of sudden I read all synthetic stuff is no good. Well -thats not quite true as the benefits are proven (for stuff like vit B, NAC, ALCAR), after all the research and trials were done with synthetic stuff. And it was quite a bit of time to research the vitamins/supps as well

I mean how do I know those people claims about "more natural" stuff are correct and not just a marketing gimmick (maybe even based on some logical theory , but its just speculation nevertheless)

massman
Unregistered

How about.... [Roll Eyes] lightly compressed organic veggies (some water + fiber removed) ?

Standard Process has made those since...1929 [Big Grin]

On the energy - are you thinking that we can always measure everything ? Mild radioactive isotopes injected into acupuncture meridians (energy pathways) now shows the isotopes running in the meridians.

When injected into random spots the isotopes stay where they have been injected. Good enough ?

What leaves the body when it dies ? Chemistry ? Or energy ? [confused]

heiwalove
Member # 6467

Icon 1 posted      Profile for heiwalove     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
along these lines, can anyone recommend a good vitamin C supplement? one that comes from whole foods but does NOT contain magnesium stearate?

thanks.

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/violinexplosion

Posts: 1848 | From seattle, wa | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Coltman, you are one smart guy. You have intricate knowledge about so many health topics. You should've went to medical school!
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coltman
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21272

quote:
Originally posted by massman:
How about.... [Roll Eyes] lightly compressed organic veggies (some water + fiber removed) ?

So its basically veggies? Did you mean any particular product? - I am quite interested (would allow me to dramatically increase my veggy intake [Smile] ). Or did you mean something like that :
http://www.harmonyhousefoods.com/

quote:

On the energy - are you thinking that we can always measure everything ? Mild radioactive isotopes injected into acupuncture meridians (energy pathways) now shows the isotopes running in the meridians.
When injected into random spots the isotopes stay where they have been injected. Good enough ?

Link to original source? What isotopes, how did they measure them , etc. Its interesting if true there was some fascinating article about extremely diluted solution having some EM effects, I am kinda more open about the EM interactions. But I haven't seen any follow ups or anything so I am only more open, not convinced [Smile]

quote:

What leaves the body when it dies ? Chemistry ? Or energy ? [confused]

You really ask this question? Lots of stuff happens .There is energy loss ( mostly from heat), change in pressure (fluids,gases), lots of chemical reactions (as cells dies and dead body reaches new chemical equilibrium) .etc.etc.
If you try imply some sort of soul- I pass here, I am not into metaphysics.

seekhelp
Member # 15067

Coltman, how do you explain Dr. K's belief in energy medicine? I thought he's like the king of all doctors worldwide. q
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Thanks, GiGi. VERY Informative and helpful. VERY.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
massman
Unregistered

www.standardprocess.com

And the recommended book again for the zillionth umpteenth time: "The Real Truth About Vitamins and Antioxidants" Judith DeCava RN. Google it.

Lots of chem CHANGES with death but energy is poof ! GONE.

Good source of real C ? Cataplex C by Standard Process.

coltman
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21272

quote:
Originally posted by seekhelp:
Coltman, how do you explain Dr. K's belief in energy medicine? I thought he's like the king of all doctors worldwide.

One year ago I would say all this is complete BS and quackery and completely dismiss it . After researching many fringe and alternative treatments , but more importantly after really digging into mainstream medicine I am not so cock sure anymore.

I still err on the side of published research with clear data -the only side its coming from now is mainstream. When I see similar quality research coming from alternative side I may consider it taking more seriously . As of now I d say I am highly skeptical , but who knows - they might be onto something, though I dont think they quite understand it and their practices are basically empirical manipulations .

Dr.K also employs some fairly mainstream methods so I dunno

heiwalove
Member # 6467

Icon 1 posted      Profile for heiwalove     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
okay, i looked up cataplex c and it looks great except i'd have to take about a million pills to equal 3000-4000 mg of vitamin C, which is what i take daily (more if i'm fighting off an acute virus). the label says 3 pills contain 17 mg of C. um, help?

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/violinexplosion

Posts: 1848 | From seattle, wa | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
massman
Unregistered

heiwalove - the main point is you do not need high dose fractions if you take the real (and whole) thing.

Almost everyone now calls ascorbic acid vit. C.
It is a small part of real C. It has some good uses but those effects are from using the fraction like a drug.

coltman - I did not keep the source on the isotopes but will google it when I can.

Alt research ? There is lots of "research" on drugs as BigPharma funds (+ fakes) most of it.
And in, IMO, their idiocy they supposedly find the "active ingredient" that does the work. I guess all the other co-factors had nothing to do for a while so they hitched a ride. [Wink]

BigPharma has such deep pockets they can probably fund everything / anything they want. Alts profit margin cannot fund much research.

Studying different things the same way is like comparing apples to oranges. Or NBA players to midgets.
[Roll Eyes]

massman
Unregistered

[Cool]

Guess we are done !

OH ! WELL ! WELL ! WELL !

[Big Grin]

[ 12-23-2009, 09:28 AM: Message edited by: massman ]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement