LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Anyone else notice that a soft bed makes a difference?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone else notice that a soft bed makes a difference?
Wonko
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18318

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Wonko     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know this sounds ridiculous, but am curious if others can relate.

I was out of town for nearly a week for holidays.

The guest bed was much softer than my mattress at home. I seemed to feel better not just at night but overall, and wonder if I can attribute any of this to the mattress.

I know correlation doesn't equal causation, but I think that bed softness may make a real difference for me.

I've always noticed a worsening of neuro/arthritic symptoms when I am lying down. For example, if my feet are tingling when sitting, it will spread up my legs when lying down.

Now I am starting to wonder if investing in a softer bed may help keep my symptoms more calm and make me feel better during the day.

Has anyone else noticed this or had experience in changing beds or furniture to ease symptoms?

I feel like Goldilocks: This bed is too firm!

Posts: 455 | From Was in PA, then MD, now in the Midwest | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I bought a new mattress many years ago, I got a "firm."
When I was shopping for it, I found out that the mattresses had the same springs, but the price differences depended on the type of padding.

The thinner paddings didn't last as many years.

As my symptoms progressed, before I knew it was Lyme, I woke up every day with pain in my hip and shoulder.

I bought a memory foam pad for the bed, putting it under my mattress pad, and noticed a big difference right away -- I slept through the night, not waking several times in pain.

I relayed this news to the other people in my fibromyalgia support group, and a number of them bought memory foam pads, with good results.

So, if your mattress is good, you don't need to buy a new one....just buy a memory foam pad to use on top of it.

There are many brands, and many vendors.
Do a google search for visco elastic memory foam mattress topper.

Carol

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
springshowers
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 19863

Icon 1 posted      Profile for springshowers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes yes yes

I had a soft bed.. I was talked into getting another bed by family and friends and doctors because of back issues.

I have regretted it big time. I has been 4 or more years now and I never got used to my new mattress which is actually Not FIRM but INbetween...

And.. I am so sad and mad.. I paid a lot for it and Now I am really needing to find something else.. again

I though have looked into TOPPERS that are made for FMS patients too that you can Sink into.

I hate Memory Foam though.. It is too weird for me and even though soft it like feels not good to me..... anyway...

Got to find what is right for each of us..

But I can totally relate to you post!!

Posts: 2747 | From Unites States Of America | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joalo
Member # 12752

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joalo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Carol about the memory foam pad. They work great and they are way cheaper than a new mattress. [Cool]

--------------------
Sick since January 1985. Misdiagnosed for 20 years. Tested CDC positive October 2005. Treating since April 2006.

Posts: 3228 | From Somewhere west of the Mississippi | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dekrator48
Member # 18239

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dekrator48     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I definitely notice an increase in my pain and stiffness if I have to sleep on a bed that does not have a really soft top.

When I travel I always take an eggcrate mattress topper to put on the bed.

We bought a new bed last January and it is wonderful.

It was pricey but really worth it.

I had a Cuddle Ewe mattress topper on my old bed, but it was not nearly as good.

You may want to check into Down Alternative mattress toppers...I've seen some that are really thick and cushy.

--------------------
The fibromyalgia I've had for 32 years was an undiagnosed Lyme symptom.

"For I know the plans I have for you", declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". -Jeremiah 29:11

Posts: 6076 | From Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I HATE soft beds!!!! But I need a pillow top of some type to go with the firm bed.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wonko
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18318

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wonko     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the advice!

I traditionally prefer ultra-firm beds for my back and because I think they last longer, but now I think I'd feel better with something softer.

I'm on the fence about buying a new mattress, so I appreciate the alternative ideas. When I do make the investment, I've been thinking of a medium-firm mattress with a pillow top.

Posts: 455 | From Was in PA, then MD, now in the Midwest | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thejoje
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19976

Icon 1 posted      Profile for thejoje   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We invested in a "Sleep Number" bed. My side is pretty soft, and I even use 2 foam toppers on top! There is no way I can sleep on a firm bed.

--------------------
When we are no longer able to change a situation---we are challenged to change ourselves.
(Viktor Frankl- Holocaust survivor)

Posts: 460 | From Maine | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We need a new mattress, but I'm so fearful of the toxins in new mattresses. Acouple years I invested in a very thick heavy duty feather padding.

Sleeping on feathers is so comfortable for me. Well, except when one pokes me.

I know there are manufacturers out there that make mattresses without all the toxins. $$$

I seen some on this site complain the memory foam toxic smell made them more ill?

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kelmo
Member # 8797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kelmo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
map, my daughter sleeps on a wonderfully giving mattress and a feather bed. She says it's great.
Posts: 2903 | From AZ | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My daughter likes a soft bed. When she was in college, she had a feather top she bought at Bed Bath and Beyond that she used on the mattresses there. You can still have the benefit of a firm mattress with a pillowtop feel without investing in a new mattress.

They make the feather beds in non-feather material, too.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been sleeping on my sofa for a couple of years because it is very soft and I can arrange myself on it so as not to hurt certain parts.

I had to sleep on a bed one night over the holidays and it hurt my rib cage so much. I have been sore all over ever since.

It feels like my body is extremely sensitive to any pressure.

Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Faith6
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14072

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Faith6     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love Memory foam!!!

--------------------
"His faithful love endures forever." Psalm 136

Posts: 189 | From MN | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NanaDubo
Member # 14794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NanaDubo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Six - was it a memory foam mattress that you found full of mold? Or a different kind?

I love my pillow top, soft mattress.

I CANNOT sleep on a firm mattress.

You can get a toxin free mattress but if you don't, let it air out for as long as possible.

Posts: 1129 | From Maine | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pab
Member # 904

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pab     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My whole family has Sleep Number beds.

My younger son (19) has had his bed for 5+ years. He has whole body pain and loves the bed. My older son (23) has had his bed for about 2 months. He has a lot of head, face, jaw, eye, etc. pain. His new bed has reduced the pain.

My husband and I have had our bed for 4+ years. We both have a low number (25). The only problem we've have with our bed is that it isn't always flat across the bed. One of the sides seems lower/higher than the other side. It's great when only 1 person is on it. It has really helped my neck and shoulder pain.

--------------------
Peggy

~ ~ Hope is a powerful medicine. ~ ~

Posts: 2775 | From MN | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nana, it was a Sleep Number bed. Their beds used to have a mold problem. They never recalled them, but will give you your money back. Now they use chemicals to keep it from getting moldy.

Pab, zip open the beds and look UNDER the foam that covers the bladder. Be sure there's no mold. If there is and you like the bed, they will replace parts or even the whole bed. I'd be concerned about the two beds you've had for a while.

That STUPID bed was part of my health problem.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Yeah, Select Comfort Retail Corporation, the manufacturer, distributor and seller of the Sleep Number� bed.

My brother just told me that he and his wife got a new one of these for the guest room. I didn't have the heart to say anything as he was so proud of his thoughtfulness for guests who could dial up the best support for their back.

I just hope it had been delivered in the months when the windows were wide open. All new beds have lots of chemicals on them. This may or may not have any more chemicals than usual, considering the flame retardants required by law.

For older models, If you plan to zip open to check, PREPARE first, masks, goggles and only peak so as not to let spores escape into the room.

Take it outdoors first, if you can. Advice may be in articles below. If not, the American Lung Association might be consulted for how to proceed.

===========

From my file notes:

One other consideration for anyone with health problems: Mold?

This brand of bed has mold problems. If you have this and open it up, be VERY careful in how you do that. Get expert advice first.

[ 01-03-2010, 12:20 AM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wonko...

You MUST be a Princess!

http://www.fairytalescollection.com/hans_christian_anderson/The_Princess_and_the_Pea.htm

As for me... nothing but a very warm soft water bed can I sleep on without pain. Even that hurts sometimes.

So you are not alone.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting reading from this manufacturer on the toxic mattresses of today. Strobel Technologies Mattress, Southern Indiana.

http://www.strobel.com/making_news.htm

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Pam,

Thanks so much for that great annotated bibliography. So many links and excerpts all on one page certainly makes a point.

Oy, vey, eh?

BTW, for those who like to collect such data, it's always best to go ahead and copy all the text to your file, not just the link.

Connector sites have a funny way of disappearing sometimes. But if you have the links to the original sources, that can come in handy if the main site evaporates.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pab
Member # 904

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pab     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sixgoofykids:
Nana, it was a Sleep Number bed. Their beds used to have a mold problem. They never recalled them, but will give you your money back. Now they use chemicals to keep it from getting moldy.

Pab, zip open the beds and look UNDER the foam that covers the bladder. Be sure there's no mold. If there is and you like the bed, they will replace parts or even the whole bed. I'd be concerned about the two beds you've had for a while.

That STUPID bed was part of my health problem.

Six,

We did that when you first posted about the problem. We were all sick before we got our Sleep # beds.

--------------------
Peggy

~ ~ Hope is a powerful medicine. ~ ~

Posts: 2775 | From MN | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement