LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Bloodshot eyes/Red marking, Veins in eyes

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bloodshot eyes/Red marking, Veins in eyes
djf2005
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 11449

Icon 5 posted      Profile for djf2005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I assume there are others with this.

Anyone have an idea other than "Lyme" as to what causes it?

It is worse in my right eye and close in to my nose if that makes sense.

I have noticed this in other Lyme patients, just don't know what the exact culprit is.

Would appreciate your insight.

Best

Derek

--------------------
"Experience is not what happens to you; it is what you do with what happens to you."

[email protected]

Posts: 2269 | From Lansdowne, Pa | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starfall1969
Member # 17353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starfall1969     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have the same thing, and have had it for years.

No idea what causes it; eye doctor doesn't seem concerned about it.

I was just dx'ed with Lyme last March, so either it has nothing to do with Lyme or I have had Lyme longer than I believed.

Posts: 1682 | From Dillsburg, PA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i usually wake up in the morning and look like dracula!!

had it for years and have my eyes checked yearly. doc says they are fine.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have this just since getting sick. Don't really know what it is. I just assume it is the lyme. It comes and goes like a lyme thing.
Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have this as well.

It's mostly my left eye(close to the nose like you mentioned)

I would love to somehow treat this. but I think that involves getting the Lyme to come out from our eyes.

Someone on here mentioned oils they rubbed close to their eyes for this very thing.

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karenl
Member # 17753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karenl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
toxoplasmosis causes serious eye problems
and also the hemobartonella which is a mycoplasma.

I think the co-infections are causing the eye problems.

Posts: 1834 | From US | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
karenl,

So besides the obvious... treat the coinfections... what other things could help?

Thanks

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
disturbedme
Member # 12346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for disturbedme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have this as well, but it does come and go, but I never had it before getting sick.

I think it's due to Bartonella. I think I was told that at one point, but don't remember exactly who told me.

--------------------
One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar.
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Posts: 2965 | From Land of Confusion (bitten in KS, moved to PA, now living in MD) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Member # 22149

How can somebody honestly know if it's coinfections, lyme, thyroid, adrenals, etc etc

So many similar symptoms. It's all a guess.

I see treat for all of them and take care of the things you can. Diet, exercise, sleep

lilacs48
Member # 20025

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lilacs48     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has your doctor given you abx eye drops? Made a lot of difference for me...Eyesight clearer...less floaters.
Posts: 75 | From Missouri | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
springshowers
Member # 19863

Icon 1 posted      Profile for springshowers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i think karnenl is right..

After treating for the mystery protozoan with the toxo meds my eye problems went away. Ironically got worse during treatment for awhile. Scary worse.. and then after awhile it went away.. Like a herx sort of reaction.

I no longer have the issue.. Even though I still think I have a lot of the protozoan problems. This particular one went away with the toxo drugs daraprim and zithromax. (I was unable to take sulfa drugs due to my hives allergy)>

This was just my case.. It could be different of course for each person.. who knows in this crazy disease.

Posts: 2747 | From Unites States Of America | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
djf2005
Member # 11449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for djf2005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree cane. Very hard to tell.

Bartonella/Myco could be possible, although how that is determined is unclear.

Seems to me that it makes sense that it's a buildup of toxins, just my logical thought.

What process are causing those toxins, whether microbial or metals or what, I don't know.

I do know a few lyme patients whose eyes appear to be almost damaged now and red all the time and I don't want that to happen, although I doubt it will.

Any other ideas are appreciated.

Best

Derek

--------------------
"Experience is not what happens to you; it is what you do with what happens to you."

[email protected]

Posts: 2269 | From Lansdowne, Pa | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had Hepatitis yellow eyes for about a year before diagnosis. I had my doc check it twice. As it was not going away.
And as Yukon Cornelius said "Nothin".

I do remember them being red before that with people commenting was I on drugs. LOL

So should it be included in medical histories?

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a really intense herx when I first started Bactrim DS (literally after the first pill), and part of that was the whites of my eyes turned pink. That only lasted about 24-36 hours...so for the duration of about 3 doses.

I am about 99% sure what was being killed in that herx was Bartonella henselae, because I tested positive for exposure to it through Quest, and because of how quickly the herx came and went, and also because my cognitive symptoms/derealization have been better since those herxes.

And because Bactrim doesn't treat Lyme.

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CD57
Member # 11749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CD57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had that with bart/BLO. It went away with treatment.
Posts: 3528 | From US | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karenl
Member # 17753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karenl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cane,
I really have no idea. But read some articles.
The haemobartonella does lesions

http://www.vin.com/proceedings/Proceedings.plx?CID=WSAVA2003&PID=6699&O=Generic

and the toxoplasmosis also does eye damage

http://ars.usda.gov/main/docs.htm?docid=11013.

Posts: 1834 | From US | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karenl
Member # 17753

springshowers,

as your eyes are good we probably should try the same meds.

I also started rifing again for malaria and will add toxo later.

Some ART doctors can desensitize or clear the sulfa for you. But be careful, you need a good Dr.
I have mine not yet cleared.

canefan17
Member # 22149

Well in both those cases it looks as though doxy (tratracycline) treats it.

Doesn't doxy treat all co-infections?

springshowers
Member # 19863

Icon 1 posted      Profile for springshowers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Karenl.

I actually have reserached how to desensitize sulfa allergies. Have not done it yet but it is on my mind.

Warning about trying daraprim. After 3 months there seemed to be a deteriation in progress. It was thought to be due to the folic acid supplementation that you have to take during this treatment but it was never fully determined.

There was a few of us trying this new protocol and I actually did very well and it helped a lot of things but... I also deteriorated after 3 months.... there were some things and symptoms though that were resolved as well.

Its complicated isnt it.

All of this stuff.

SO rifing for toxo is a great idea and I am going to try that too.....and malaria.

thanks for the great ideas

Posts: 2747 | From Unites States Of America | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
springshowers
Member # 19863

PS.. All my brain and head pressure and brain fog and other things that were related to above my neck also resolved..

And none of that has come back.. Pretty cool. I know it was a big step forward for me..

It was leucovorin that was the supplement for the folic acid.

I wish I knew why it has worked so well and then colapsed. So .. I am not recommending anyone try it....

If you read up there are other alternatives to treating Toxo that might help you too. I would research these options.. if your looking into that direction..

karenl
Member # 17753

I started rifing the 787 for malaria and it did
something all over my body.

So daraprim is a definite no and I do not have to ask my doctor.

Did somebody try eye drops with antibiotics or so?

Did you have tiny black dots on the iris?
I was checked for toxo and it showed negative IGM...
Did you have lesions on the skin?

nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is a bartonella symptoms, one of the worst remaining for me. I take hyaluronic acid to control it which is extremely helpful. Otherwise I would look like I have pink eye and not be able to exist without sun glasses even in the house. My eyes feel almost normal on the HA (which is collegen) but I know it is still there if I forget to take it for a few days. You can buy it at the health food store - get the vegetarian kind (not rooster comb or chicken sternum) and take 100mg a day. I promise you it is the best investment for sore eyes you ever made.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
massman
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sclerology.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement