LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Test results and cross reaction

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Test results and cross reaction
baileypup
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22824

Icon 1 posted      Profile for baileypup     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chuck wrote:

"Bacterial flagellum is not unique to spirochetes. Of ≈320 non-lyme blood samples tested around 140 (forget the exact number) tested positive for band 41. Other Bb bands showed up in the ones and twos."
Chuck wrote: "Bacterial flagellum is not unique to spirochetes. Of ≈320 non-lyme blood samples tested around 140 (forget the exact number) tested positive for band 41. Other Bb bands showed up in the ones and twos."

I didn't want to hijack another thread, so am copying comments Chuck wrote. Hope this is acceptable on this board.

I had no idea there were so many bacterial flagella. So, if I tested positive for band 41 alone, it is nonspecific to lyme. Is that correct?

When you stated that other Bb bands showed up in the ones and twos, were you referring to other Bb bacteria specific bands only having one or two cross-reactions with different bacteria?

Sounds like you have an inside track on this information. Can you please help me to understand why I have suspected lyme with these results, and only band 41 positive?

IGM
41+++
31, 39 IND

IGG
41++
23-25 and 39 IND

Also, equivocal for babesia.

Dr. H. had me run the 31 epitope, and it was positive. It wasn't even positive on the 31 band, run originally three weeks before.

Any insight from anyone on Igenex testing results would be appreciated...
nancy

Posts: 964 | From san diego | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lyme Disease is a clinical diagnosis and test are only used to back up that diagnosis.

If you have lyme symptoms and test positive with band 41, in my opinion it is likely you have LD.

Band 41 is usually the first band to show up in ppl with LD.

During treatment, you are likely to have more bands appear.

I didn't have ANY bands until after starting antibiotics. Later I showed up with band 41 and then band 23.

Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because you have so much going on with all the pos.

tests. I would say Lyme shut your system down and

let everything that came along in. And is hiding

from the antibody tests because it is inside the

cells. You may be able to get a better result if

challenged with antibiotics but as sg said it can

be a clinical dx, and I would say yes treat.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
timaca
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for timaca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It looks from your signature line that you may be battling many different infectious pathogens. You are positive for band 41 only from Igenex...meaning lyme is not likely an issue for you. (Dr. F at Columbia University throws out the IND results). If you wish, also get tested at State University Stony Brook and MDL lab for lyme. They both have good tick borne disease labs. Then you will have a better idea if lyme is an issue for you.

Run your other infectious pathogens again...HHV-6, EBV, Cpn at Focus Diagnostics lab, and Enterovirus (Coxsackie) at ARUP. Treat what is most obviously wrong based on antibody titers.
Go after the obvious, not the maybes. You'll have a better chance of getting well if you do.

See: www.hhv-6foundation.org
www.enterovirusfoundation.org
for more info.

Best, Timaca

Posts: 2872 | From above 7,000 ft in a pine forest | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
baileypup
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22824

Icon 1 posted      Profile for baileypup     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you Chuck for your insight. It just gives confirmation to my suspicions and questions regarding my lyme diagnosis.

The 31 epitope was an IgM. Here's the strange thing...IgM is for recent infection, correct? It says the following:

The assay sensitivity is 96% and specificity is 98% for late lyme. .

How can it detect late lyme on an IgM?

Here's my second question. It states:

LIMITATIONS: Positive results for the 31kda band may be present after vaccination in uninfected persons. The lyme 31 dka epitope test specifically was >97% in a viral positive panel.

What does that mean? I called Dr. H., but he was on vacation. Anyone care to interpret for me? What viral panel is this referring to? I have active viruses, so does that mean they can cross react, or am I reading this wrong?

Thanks Timaca, I have conversed with you before on Cpn, and right after receiving my Igenex and toxoplasmosis test results. I did treat for toxoplasmosis, and have many current viral titers, which I may have shared with you on a pm. I too believe that given my particular situation, there are a number of pathogens that contribute to the overall picture. I am convinced there is a systemic bacterial component to my illness, just not convinced it's lyme.

I may get retested at Stony Brook. I also spoke with Vipdx, the same lab that ran my mycoplasma and toxo tests (also are the lab for XMRV)to see if they could detect spirochetes in my blood. They also have a new lyme test which is an ELISA, confirmed by PCR.

nancy

Posts: 964 | From san diego | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
baileypup
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22824

Some information from the website, The Truth about Lyme Disease regarding band 31 and the 31 epitope.

quote:
31 outer surface protein A (OspA), specific for Bb - Has cross-reactivity with several different types of viruses

IGeneX also now offers a new 30-31kDa Confirmation IgG and IgM test. If results from the initial Western Blot are positive for bands 30 or 31, it is possible that these could be due to cross-reactivity with several different types of viruses. In this confirmatory test, highly specific recombinant antigens are used to validate that the positive result is not due to cross-reaction with viruses. If ONLY band 31 is positive and no other specific bands are positive, it is recommended to have tests #488 and #489 31 kDa epitope Igm/Igg to make sure borrelia hasn't crossed reacted with several possible viruses....but AGAIN ONLY IF BAND 31 ALONE is positive.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement