LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » kETEK

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: kETEK
janice victorov
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 22937

Icon 1 posted      Profile for janice victorov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hI aLL,
I might be starting Ketek tomorrow after my doctors appt. Can you tell me your experieince with it?

I heard it works great but just checking as I always do when starting a new med.

Janice [confused] [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
jkv44

Posts: 1247 | From virginia | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LymeXtu
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24590

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LymeXtu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi - Had heard good things about it but my son got bad headaches from it, took him off it for now but his LLMD says he wants to try it again later in his treatment. Good luck.
Posts: 448 | From minnesota | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanda
Member # 14107

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amanda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had been stuck for a year and a half in treatment.

After 3 weeks of this drug, my immune cell counts have come up to normal for first time in two years.

I herxed HARD on this for three weeks. Seemed to come out of it for a few days, and am herxing again. Also, make sure you check you liver counts frequently, it can cause severe (as in lethal) liver problems. It can also cause heart problems, so if you have heart or liver issues, I persoanlly would avoid this drug.

But, as long as my liver enzymes stay OK, I will keep at it, since it seems to be helping me.

It can cause some insomnia, so I take it in the morning.

I haven;t gotten the bad headaches from it...yet. I know that it is not uncommon to take this drug and do ok with it for three months, and then suddenly begin to have problems with it.

--------------------
"few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" - Mark Twain

Posts: 1008 | From US | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LymeXtu
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24590

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LymeXtu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
amanda - What type of Herx's did you have, and thanks for the other info.
Posts: 448 | From minnesota | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymebytes
Member # 11830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymebytes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMd says it the best Lyme killer. But be aware it can hard on the liver and liver function tests should be done frequently.

Also, no generic for this drug so if your insurance doesn't cover it, it is expensive.

--------------------
www.truthaboutlymedisease.com

Posts: 2003 | From endemic area | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used it for two months with tremendous improvment. I also got headaches from it which is why I quit. I believe my lyme was gotten under control from Ketek and then bartonella emerged as the primary problem. As Bart causes headache, it may have been what was causing the headaches instead of Ketek but when I quit it, they went away for a while - came on again later.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanda
Member # 14107

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amanda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
herxs for me are crushing fatique, a increase in neck pain (my worst symptom, lyme is isn my cervical spinal joints) return in frequency of some symptoms which had gotten better (hearing issues and muscle twitching). Also, sometimes I get slight fevers (99.5) for a few hours in the afternoon. This is unusual for me, becasue my body temp tend to be lowwer (97.7).

But, then after three weeks, this settled down. I think I am headed towords another one, but it doesn't seem to be as intense this time.

If insurance doesn't pay, or will only pay for half, go to a Costco if one is nearby. They have the best prices on this drug by far. I paid about 325 for a months supply, which is almost half of what is was going to be at Longs and Rite Aid.

Liver enzymes should be checked at least once a month. Also, know the symptoms of liver poisoning, which are listed on the precription pamphlet.

Oh, and one more thing. Ketek can cause transient blurry vision. So for the first few days, I wouldn't drive anywhere.

--------------------
"few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" - Mark Twain

Posts: 1008 | From US | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ann in CA
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 97

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ann in CA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is my second time with ketek. I don't remember problems (a few years ago)before, but this time the headaches at the beginning (about a month ago) were terrible, and just last night and today it was bad enough (right side only) I skipped my AM Tindmax/Ketek. I also have had the fever, or "feels like fever", occasionally, and since my temp is normally anywhere from 96-97, it has been as high as 98.8, which, since I've had lyme is unusually high for me.

Also today have sore throat on right side only, and very sensitive mouth. I had let my theralac lapse, and was just using drugstore probiotics, so ordered and started theralac today.

In 2008 I was off ABX for 8 months before symptoms forced me back. It was so great to feel like traveling again. We went to Asia, and I was able to do everything. Right now, I don't even feel like driving to the store. My LLMD says we just have to keep hitting it, so as much as I hate Ketek, I am sticking with it. My lyme test was Igenix positive last fall, so that gives me more motivation. I don't want the little monsters to get the upper hand. Actually, he wanted me to do flagyl again, but that was the worst abx ever for me...accomplished a lot though.

Best wishes!

Posts: 287 | From Northern California, USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement