LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Who has gotten worse after starting lyme treatment?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Who has gotten worse after starting lyme treatment?
TxLymie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TxLymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was diagnosed in June 09 and felt horrible (mostly fatigue, flu like aches etc). I did get on abx and felt better. Got off for 1 month, relapse, so then back on for 3 months.

I felt better during that 3 months for maybe the first 2 months. Then started feeling bad even on abx. So I decided I was "done". I was developing yeast, had GI issues and severe bloating from abx. (and yes I followed the sugar free, carb free, eat nothing abx diet!)

I went with natural supplements/herbs/diet/detox and felt better, even "good" for about 2 months. Now I am having the worst flare ever. Even at my worst over the past few yrs, I never felt like this!

I am worried that being on abx and then getting off can actually make you worse? I read that somewhere...like it makes the BB even more resistant to abx down the road...Is there any truth to that?

--------------------
TxLymie
IgG-Negative
IgM - Postive bands 23 and 41

Other dx: 2000: Endometriosis 2009: Chronic EBV, Mycoplasma infection, HHV6, H.pylori

Posts: 297 | From Houston | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KimDC
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KimDC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD has mentioned that BB can become resistant to certain abx when given at low doses for awhile. The low doses kill just a few BB and allow the others to adapt and build resistance. This was my LLMD's explanation for why he uses very high doses of abx.

I think that what you're experiencing now is the result of an undertreated infection. Do you have a LLMD?

--------------------
Misdiagnosed with CFS for 7 yrs. Diagnosed by LLMD in 2009. Aggressive treatment for 3 years with minimum improvement.

Posts: 120 | From FL | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
julielynne4
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree that it sounds like you have not been treated sufficiently. Just enough to feel better but not enough to kill the lyme.

Have you been tested for coinfections?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most people feel a lot worse on treatment. I take it as a good indication you were killing

them-poisons in the system-many become bed ridden until they get the load down. When you have lyme it

is a long, hard road not to be taken lightly. It is not strep throat you are going to get rid of

in 10 days. It can take months, depending on it and what all else you had time to pick up after

the immune system was shut down by it...Looks like you got some common ones there.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TxLymie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TxLymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been tested for co's but only through ARUP labs. I was negative.

I do not have an LLMD. Just a lyme friendly doc. But I finally made an appt with Dr. F of La. I'll see him in 2 weeks.

I suppose I could have been undertreated. I only weigh 105lbs and I cannot tolerate full doses like most people so I didn't always take as much as they said.

I was initially on 200mg of doxy for 2 months. Then on Ceftin (500mg twice per day) for 3 months. However I couldn't tolerate 2 Ceftin per day so I took it down to one.

I HAVE to work or we would be in terrible financial difficulty...not to mention losing my insurance (Husband co doesn't offer insurance).

I just don't know how I can keep my job, life and take care of my kids if taking full doses of the abx will put me in bed for months [Frown]

--------------------
TxLymie
IgG-Negative
IgM - Postive bands 23 and 41

Other dx: 2000: Endometriosis 2009: Chronic EBV, Mycoplasma infection, HHV6, H.pylori

Posts: 297 | From Houston | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you thought about taking Colloidal Silver with your treatment?
I think it may offer some advantages although not proven yet.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i thought i was going to die after i started flagyl and biaxin.

hallucinations, nightmares, dripping night sweats, jerking, burning feet, ice cold body, the symptoms just wenton and on.

it took several months, 6 or so, before i even started to see a little improvement.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From the looks of it you haven't gotten any adequate treatment at all. You have to bite the bullet and take the meds according to the guidelines or you cannot expect progress. Most people get worse before better but that it when they are on treatment and herxing.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement