LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Adrenal Awareness Time : )

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Adrenal Awareness Time : )
canefan17
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Important Topics in bold
My Remarks Italicized

What Causes Low Metabolic Energy? THE BASICS- head to Treatment if you want to skip this

Every process that goes on inside our bodies requires energy - specifically, metabolic energy. When the body doesn't have enough energy to function properly, each component of the body will malfunction in its own unique way.

For example, if the brain has too little energy, thought processes such as memory and focus become impaired. The body needs energy to keep itself warm - a low body temperature, therefore, usually accompanies low metabolic energy. (For more examples see the above symptoms list.) In our cells, ready to use energy is in the form of ATP (adenosine triphosphate) molecules.

The body converts fats, sugars, etc. into ATP that is then used for energy. However, there are other factors involved that can affect how well our body can make this conversion from those fats and sugars into the ATP molecules.

The thyroid gland, located at the base of the neck, makes the hormone T4 (thyroxine). T4 converts to T3 (triiodothyronine) and RT3 (reverse T3). The T3 turns on the ATP (energy) making machinery inside each living cell while the RT3 slows it down. Production of these thyroid hormones is controlled by TSH (Thyroid Stimulating Hormone), which is released by the pituitary gland in the brain.

The pituitary takes its orders from the hypothalamus (also part of the brain). The adrenal glands, located on top of each kidney, help the body deal with stress. If the metabolic activity is excessive, the adrenals perceive this as a stress.

In response to this stress, the hypothalamus will signal the pituitary to produce less TSH, thus producing decreased T4 and thyroid activity. Based on the above explanation, some of the contributors to low metabolic energy are:

* The thyroid gland can not make enough T4 (hypothyroidism).
* The adrenal glands are too weak to handle the stress of the body's normal metabolic energy and force a down-regulation of energy production.

* The enzymes (cellular machinery) which make ATP may be held back due to chemical interference such as toxins, lack of needed ingredients (vitamins or minerals), or breakdown due to auto-immune disease or old viral damage.
* Hormonal imbalance such as growth hormone, testosterone, estrogen, or progesterone.
* Severe caloric restriction.

Treatment for Low Metabolic Energy
Where to start: Adrenal vs. Thyroid?

If both the thyroid and the adrenals are weak, adrenal repair must precede thyroid repair (see Metabolic Scorecard� to determine whether problem is adrenal, thyroid, or both).
http://www.drrind.com/therapies/metabolic-symptoms-matrix

If the adrenals are weak, then even normal thyroid activity places an excessive burden on them. One may begin to feel `hypoadrenal' (coldness, weight loss, dryness, fatigue, insomnia, and/or anxiety) and then the body innately turns down its own thyroid energy production by increasing production of RT3.
*** ^^^ I really believe this is happening in A LOT of cases. [Frown]

Conversely, if the adrenals are strong and the thyroid is weak or unable to keep up with the adrenals, one begins to feel `hypothyroid' (heat intolerance, weight gain and fluid retention, tiredness, excessive need to sleep and/or depression).

A very common error made by medical practitioners is to focus entirely on the thyroid and ignore the adrenals In a weakened adrenal state, prescribing thyroid medication that contains T4 and/or T3 may produce limited or transient improvement. Subsequent increases of the dose offer little or no benefit as the medication pushes the energy machinery into overdrive. Unfortunately, this higher energy level is unsustainable due to the stress on the adrenals.

Eventually the adrenals become fatigued and the symptoms of low energy return.
***^^^Could this be mistaken for Lyme returning?? Could this HELP Lyme to relapse? [Eek!]

If, however, the adrenals are functioning well, the thyroid hormones can do their job and the result is good metabolic energy.

Another way of looking at this thyroid/adrenal relationship is to think of the thyroid as `generating' the energy while the adrenals need to be able to `handle' the energy. If the thyroid generated energy is excessive for the adrenals' ability to handle it, the body will down-regulate the thyroid energy as much as it is capable of doing to accommodate what the adrenals can safely handle.

Sometimes, in an effort to help the patient feel better, the physician keeps increasing the thyroid dose or even gives a T4/T3 combination like Armour Thyroid or just a T3 support like Cytomel. The problem with this is that it forces the system to function at a higher energy than the adrenals can handle.

Initially the adrenals have enough reserve to handle the higher thyroid energy so the patient feels better.

When the (adrenal) reserves are exhausted (this can happen in a few days, weeks or months) the patient can develop fatigue, anxiety, bursts of rapid heart beat or the feeling of such bursts (palpitations) or other symptoms of either high thyroid function or of low adrenal function (see the Metabolic Scorecard�).
***^^^Where have we seen those symptoms before? [Smile]

This is the `crash and burn' phase of the thyroid treatment which ignores the adrenals' capacity to handle the thyroid support. It is often followed by a recommendation for an anti-anxiety or anti-depressant drug.

Source: http://www.drrind.com/therapies/metabolic-therapy

[ 02-25-2010, 07:29 PM: Message edited by: canefan17 ]

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elley0531
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9434

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elley0531     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
this is so interesting.

I am doing biaxin and plaquenil right now, and am on 15 mg of hydrocortisone (which both my LLMD and my Endo have told me is too low of a dose to cause adrenal atrophy), and supplementing with several things to support whats left of my adrenals.

At the same time, I am sticking to an anti inflammatory diet, getting rest, and practicing stress reduction.

Lets just say that I went from basically dead and on the brink of crazy-town to feeling-kinda crappy but overall able to deal with things **knock on wood**

I am trying to be VERY cautiously optimistic.

Lets just say the fight is back in me and I'm glad about it.

There's really something to this.

Posts: 594 | From NJ/NY | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
massman
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Source please ?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maureen2174
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for maureen2174     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
how would you know if you had a problem with your adrenals or a adrenal fatigue? i asked my LLMD about this a long time ago and she basically said the only option was steroids to treat it and we all know what happens- that is what she said to me. so i never pursued it more.

anyway- what would the symptoms of this be? she gave me an oil from young living- endoflex to put on my adrenal gland- where is this (sorry for being so ignorant/dumb about this, just never really gave it much thought or did any research on it).

thanks, maureen

Posts: 871 | From NJ | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
maureen,
LMAO What a bad, bad LLMD.

Get a saliva cortisol test.
8am, 12pm, 6pm, 12am, 4am(optional- can help determine hypoglycemia/blood sugar levels)

Mass,
I edited the source in.

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maureen2174
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for maureen2174     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah- i am thinking she is not so good- lol.... that is why i do so much of my lyme treatment on my own. can i order this test directly though? from what lab? do you know the cost?

then of course i would have the dilemna of someone treating me if i did have adrenal fatigue..... ughh...

thanks

Posts: 871 | From NJ | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Member # 22149

I suggest that you call Sabre Sciences (888) 490-7300 and ask for Jenine in Client Services. She can send you a salivary 24-hour circadian test to evaluate your Adrenal/Sex hormone status.

Maureen,
What sort of symptoms do you have (probably a terrible question because I'm sure it's A LOT haha)

Did you happen to look at the metabolic symptom chart?

canefan17
Member # 22149

Adrenal Repair Basics

In general, stress hurts the adrenals. We can define stress as anything which challenges our survival, joy, prosperity, security or stability.

It is anything which forces our system to adapt (e.g., change of circumstances, temperature, chemistry as in a sudden change of supplements, medication or even change of diet). Infection, lack of sleep or even lack of love are stressors.

The opposite of stress such as joy, sleep and rest, comfort, peace, security, stability, and good nutrition, are examples of things that help the adrenals. Avoid the stressors and seek out those things that help.

Eat more proteins (especially amino acids) and fats (not vegetable oils). Limit carbohydrates, especially sugars. Avoid stimulants and physiologically stressful substances such as caffeine, diet pills, alcohol, cigarettes, etc. If you have allergies, avoid the allergens - common allergens are wheat and dairy. Although this may sound surprising, we actually tend to crave foods to which we are allergic.

Metabolic activity (the chemical processes and changes going on in our body) represent a stress. At a level that can be handled by the adrenals, this stress is good for us (Eustress) and maintains life. If metabolic activity is too strong for the adrenals (e.g., excessive thyroid stimulation), it is at a level that is unhealthy (Distress) and wears the adrenals down.

Mold is a common serious stress but difficult to avoid. Reduce as much stress as possible. Even `good stress', such as celebration, can sometimes be excessive for the adrenals.

Look for opportunities to experience security, joy and optimism. Learn to avoid negative emotions such as fear (e.g. horror movies), anger, etc.

Increase rest - get as much sleep as possible and make the timing as regular as possible. Pushing too hard, excessive work or exercise, and any sleep deprivation stresses the adrenals.

canefan17
Member # 22149

http://www.drrind.com/therapies/adrenal-support-recommendation-sheet

Supplement recommendation ^^^

massman
Unregistered

Is all this based on non-lymed out HPA glands ?

And how would the other glands be affected IF the hypothalamus and / or pituitary did have lyme ?

Thx for the source.

canefan17
Member # 22149

Doesn't matter it's all one and the same.
The basis is still the same.

A stressed place upon the body leads to insufficient endocrine function. Hypothalamus, pituitary and all!

No different with lyme. OF COURSE you must kill Lyme to be successful. That's a given.

You support the adrenals in an attempt to reset your HPA axis (assuming you're methodically killing Lyme bacteria).

Supporting your adrenals can also be considered supporting your hypothalamus and pituitary.

The adrenal glands work interactively with the hypothalamus and pituitary gland.

Many of the same herbs used in adrenal support are used in pituitary/hypothalamus support.

The reason we refer to the adrenals more than pituitary and hypothalamus is that the adrenals are influenced more easily. The workhorse of the endocrine system is the adrenals and they control cortisol output.

This is where the endocrine game begins and ends.

Faith6
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14072

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Faith6     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD finally put me on low dose hydrocortisone a couple months ago.

I went from not being sure if it was worth living because of pain, exhaustion, and emotions to feeling better than I have in several years.

I know it is temporary - hopefully giving my adrenals a chance to heal.

It at least is reminding me what life is like for most people!

I'm trying not to stress about what will happen when I'm off of it and am also trying to do some things that I feel I may never be able to do again.

--------------------
"His faithful love endures forever." Psalm 136

Posts: 189 | From MN | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Member # 22149

Faith6,

That's awesome.

Assuming you conquer Lyme I see no reason why you won't be able to wean off of the HC... with proper supplemental support it's possible.

canefan17
Member # 22149

I think if you have Lyme the 2 more important tests to get ran are....

1) 24 hr Cortisol Saliva Test

2) Reverse T3 (hypothetically speaking that's all you'd need to know initially)

If reverse T3 is high the rest makes no difference. With the exception being thyroid antibodies.

sutherngrl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think a lot of LLMDs do not address this. They just treat the lyme and figure the rest will straighten itself out when the lyme is gone.

I know I need to look into this because.........

It feels like something has been turned on in my body and just won't turn off. It is an awful feeling of complete and utter exhaustion. No amount of rest will resolve it, although after resting for several days in a row, I feel slightly better for a day or two.

Is this the feeling that others here get, and do you attribute this feeling to adrenal stress?

Canefan.....(coldness, weight loss, dryness, fatigue, insomnia, and/or anxiety)......this describes me to a tee!

Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Member # 22149

suthern,

No doubt we all go through a bit of adrenal fatigue with Lyme. In fact in this busy, crazy world we all live in most people will go through adrenal fatigue/exhaustion.

It's more severe with Lymies : )

Suthern... do 1 of 2 things.

1) Get a 24 hr cortisol saliva test
8am, 12pm, 6pm, 12am (test those times)

2) Start supporting the adrenals and see if your symptoms start to relieve themselves.

Mine did in the first 2 weeks. I noticed HUGE improvements in energy levels, wake up at 9am now and don't nap ONCE throughout the day, anxiety is down big time, not shaking/freezing to death (although I still have low body temp)

I also had this strange symptoms where my brain was in overdrive and my body was exhausted. i wanted to sleep at night and couldn't.

I know now it was my adrenals spitting out cortisol at improper hours of the day.

When placed under stress our adrenals spit out cortisol. When the stress becomes too much for adrenals to handle they eventually give up and stop spitting out cortisol AT ALL.

Adrenal Fatigue caused so many symptoms of mine that I either chalked up to Lyme or herx.

I found out REAL fast that my adrenals were a much bigger issue than i realized.

Such a big issue that I think I have to recover my adrenals to have any chance of avoiding relapse.

Haley
Member # 22008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How do you get the saliva test? Is it from a doctor's office or can you do it through an outside lab?

Ellie - If you don't mind me asking what dose of Biaxin and Plaquinel are you on? Biaxin is my next medicine.

Posts: 2232 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Canefan, I'm sure you have said it numerous times but what do you take for adrenal support?
Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Member # 22149

Adaptocrine K2
Pantothenic Acid B5 (1g/day)
Vit C + Bioflavanoids (2g+/day)
Adrenal Stim and Calm Creams

Many herbs in these supplements that help support the adrenals. They help to deal with stress... bringing cortisol up or down.

Adrenal Calm has herbs to help support sleep as well as a small amount of glandulars.

It has worked wonders for me so far (10 weeks)

Apex Energetics make great products. Gluten/dairy/wheat/soy free

Xymogen is also a great product.

You would need a cortisol test though to see what times the creams would really support you. For example I had issues getting out of bed and afternoon fatigue + insomnia.

So I take...
Adrenal Stim at 9am, 12pm, 4pm
Adrenal Calm at 9am, 12pm, 6pm

^^ these times revolve around our circadian rhythm

elley0531
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9434

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elley0531     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry Haley just saw this-I am taking 1,000 mg Biaxin, 2oo mg of plaquenil.
Posts: 594 | From NJ/NY | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Member # 16270

My doc never brings the adrenals up.

I did have a cortisol test, blood test, early in my illness and it was normal. It was done by an endocrinologist.

CherylSue
Member # 13077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CherylSue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My new LLMD ran a cortisol test and my cortisol was 11 in the morning and should have been higher. She started me out with Isocort and it improved my stamina and performance to 90%. I did gain weight on it though, and have cut back a bit as it was making me stay up later at night.

I have been working full time the last year and a half after 2 years of disability and feeling just terrible. I still have occasional bouts of fatigue and malaise, but I have a somewhat normal life now.

CherylSue

CherylSue

Posts: 1954 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
massman
Unregistered

So canefan what is the total monthly (gasp) cost of your adrenal support ?
WildCondor
Unregistered

Make sure you get a fasting blood cortisol test and match it to the saliva tests. There tends to be a wild fluctuation in the saliva results. Be sure you truly have adrenal problems before anyone goes on steroids unnecessarily.
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
whoa, steroids!! isn't there something like a supplement that you can take or something??

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elley0531
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9434

no supplement can make up the amount of cortisol my body won't produce. My adrenals didn't even respond to an ACTH stimulation test.
sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Want this resolve on its own, once the infections are cleared?
elley0531
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9434

well not necessarily for me but I'm hopeful. This isn't adrenal fatigue for me, i have full blown addison's, autoimmune, although the popular theory amongst my docs seems to be that my immune system simply freaked out and started attacking itself.
massman
Unregistered

elley - don't most docs focus on the what ? instead of the why ?

Ask your docs why why why the your body "simply freaked out (bad drugs ? [Roll Eyes] ) and started attacking itself".

I would like to hear their replies or excuses. And if they say they don't know ask them to pleeeeease find out. [bonk]

sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Massman, I like the way you put that......"ask them to pleeeeease find out"!

They don't know how to find out!

elley0531
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9434

They did give me a reason. They said my immune system had been dealing with chronic Lyme for a long time and it could very well have resulted in a hyperactive autoimmune response.

At this point it is the only thing that makes sense.

sutherngrl
Member # 16270

elley, this makes sense to me!

I feel it is very possible that many of us are in this same boat. Maybe the spirochetes are all dead, and the symptoms we have are due to the fact that our immune system has not calmed down after being fired up for so long fighting infection.

I know many think that once the infection is gone the symptoms are; but I still think that there is a possiblity that, that is not always the case. It just doesn't make sense that you can take antibiotics for years and not kill all the ketes. I many times think there has to be more going on.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement