LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » skin itching and burning,

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: skin itching and burning,
broncomom
Member # 24651

Icon 1 posted      Profile for broncomom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
does anyone know what can cause severe itching all over and the feeling of your sking just burning? this is day three now and i am going nuts, unable to sleep, nothing helps? [woohoo]

--------------------
broncomom

Posts: 25 | From virginia beach va | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Broncomom, you should delete the duplicate post by clicking on it and clicking on the edit/delete icon.

To answer your question. I would think you've got a bartonella problem. Skin burning only happens to me on occasion and for several hours at a time, but when it happens it drives me crazy.

Are you taking rifampin or levaquin for bart?

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
broncomom
Member # 24651

Icon 1 posted      Profile for broncomom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks for the tip. i tried to get one of them deleted earlier. my LLMD has only told me that i do have lyme. he didn't tell me what coinfections that i had. he did say that he was sure that they were in my brain. i went three painful years before he diagnosed me about four months ago. i was on doxy for two months and about to finish seond month of ceftin. i am sure that i do have some type of coinfection. i have terrible pain in my feet, most of the time it hurts my sox to touch them. i had to start wering a slipper type shoe to work. this itching and burning is new to me. this is really bad. don't know to call my LLMD, or just try to deal with it the best i can.

--------------------
broncomom

Posts: 25 | From virginia beach va | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BugBarb
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 210

Icon 3 posted      Profile for BugBarb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like possible neuropathy to me.

Without massive doses of gabapentin, I would experience a myriad of horrid symptoms.

Burning, prickling(all my clothes feeling like they had stickers in them), crawling, itching, stabbing pain, hypersensitivity, loss of sensitivity, feeling like ice chips were being showered on my skin.....

Initially, I was put on Lyrica, but that left me to "stoned"like I was smoking pot, complete with the munchies.

Next, I was put on gabapentin which makes me a little stupid and drowsy, but nothing like what Lyrica did to me.

Typically, I take 6 to 8 600mg tablets daily.

I have to see a neurologist because my primary care llmd nor my endocrinologist are experienced in supervising people on doses that high.

All I can say is, contact your doctor.

There is no reason for you to experience one more moment of discomfort.

Lyrica is new and brand name, so more pricey.$$$

Gabapentin/Neurontin is old and generic, so your copay is less.

Both work extremely well.

--------------------
Lyme is like the flu. You can get it and recover, but you can always get it again.

Posts: 607 | From (deer tick)Heaven! Angeles National Forest | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BugBarb,

Why not just treat Lyme and Co?
Supplement b12?

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BugBarb
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 210

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BugBarb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because the pain and discomfort from the neuropathy, at least my case, is intolerable.

I need the medication to quell the symptoms of the neuropathy while the antibiotics are doing their work.

I can tell, that in the year I have been on antibiotics, my neuropathy has not progressed.

For the previous 2 plus years, it kept slowly getting worse and worse, requiring ever higher doses of medication to keep the symptoms at bay and me sane.

Picture yourself naked in a field.
There is a horde of needle beaked mosquitoes swarming around you stabbing you one at a time or in groups.....anywhere there is skin.
Add to that, itching that migrates from one area to another, randomly.
Then, there is the feeling that something is living underneath my skin, crawling around in my muscles.
Any clothing that touches your skin feels like it is made out of a burlap sack that has been dragges through a field of stickers.
A feeling of buzzing, like the silent mode on a cell phone, except it occurs in the feet, or abdomen or wherever it feels like it.
A feeling that hot water is being poured over your skin or ice chips are being flung at your skin.
You are constantly bombarded by these invisible symptoms.
Nobody else can see it....you "look fine", but find yourself swatting those invisible mosquitoes and scratching at their nonexistant bites.
Sleep is disturbed.
Can't concentrate on anything during waking hours because of the distracting invisible attack.

Maybe extremely mild cases would respond to what you suggest, but I was too far gone for that.
I couldn't concentrate at work if I didn't take the medications.]
I couldn't function at work if I did take the medications.
My coworkers got together and did sort of a medical intervention on me and helped me to see that I wansn't able to function at work and gave me the big push I needed to call the boss (who was out of the office) and go home sick.
Little did they know I would never come back.
That was two years and two weeks ago, valentine's day.

--------------------
Lyme is like the flu. You can get it and recover, but you can always get it again.

Posts: 607 | From (deer tick)Heaven! Angeles National Forest | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lightparfait
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 22022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lightparfait     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to have this, until I started to detox. My symptoms were related to all the abx and the other debris trying to leave my body...via skin!

I have pyroluria...the detox problem...and many with lyme also have this...so check into this. Check out the threads for KPU.

YOu may have your detox pathways blocked and all the additional abx treatments you are doing is adding to the toxic burden...as your body may not be able to eliminate the toxins naturally.

Posts: 1009 | From NJ | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LymeXtu
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24590

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LymeXtu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BugBarb - I was stunned reading your description of all that and wonder how you could function at all.

All I can say after seeing story after story of the suffering is all of you are unbelievable warriors in your battle. ( my son is unfortunately the one in our family ). Carol

Posts: 448 | From minnesota | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BugBarb
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 210

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BugBarb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lymextu,
I thank God that I am one of the fortunate ones for whom pain medications for the neuropathy work very well.
On the neuropathy site, I read about people who take all sorts of medications and only get partial relief.
I do have to take high doses of medication, but like I say, I'm grateful to have it available and have it work.
I have become skilled in creative descriptions in trying to explain to people why I have to take the medications I take.
The term "pins and needles" has a new graphic meaning to me.
It used to bring to mind tolerable little pricklies like when your foot falls asleep.
Now, it means a whole different thing, as you can see from my description.
And I'm so lucky!
I had lyme 14 years ago!
I got it again about 4 years ago!
those little buggers like me soooo much.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement