LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Garlic question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Garlic question
gwb
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7273

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gwb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A few months ago I ordered some BioPure organic freeze dried garlic because it came highly recommended here on the forum. I believe this is what Dr. K recommends too if I'm not mistaken.

However, when I took them (yes with meals) they would burn my stomach. I decided to stop taking them and wait until my stomach healed up a bit and then try again later.

Today I took one with my oatmeal, like before, it started burning my stomach. I noticed that these capsules are not enteric coated.

My questions:

Is it more effective to take garlic capsules that are not enteric coated?

Are there any good quality brands of organic, freeze dried, garlic capsules that anyone can recommend that are enteric coated that don't burn your stomach?

Any suggestions?

Gary

Posts: 1349 | From OK | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How do you know it's burning your stomach rather than a yeast dieoff?

just curious?

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gwb
Member # 7273

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gwb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, because I can taste the garlic (burping it up) and it feels directly related to the garlic. This happens every time I try to take garlic capsuless. My stomach is sensitive this way. I'm not on abx and have no signs and symptoms of yeast infection.

My purpose for using this is for parasites. I'm putting ground up pumpkin seeds in my oatmeal, yogurt, salads, etc to help with this too. I seriously don't believe it's yeast related.

So, back to the question, is there any good quality enteric coated garlic capsules or tablets that I can take to prevent the burning?

Gary

Posts: 1349 | From OK | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
If it burns, don't take it. Yes, enteric coated is best. . Enteric coated are not at likely to burn, though. Still, if that should burn, just don't take it.

As part of a protocol, a formula, a plan, garlic should be balanced with other herbs that can help keep it from burning but it can still be strong. Are you taking this as part of a protocol or a stand alone supplement?

Normally, garlic capsules burn me, too. But, I did absolutely fine with Zhang's protocol. After some introductory period with meals, I could even take it on an empty stomach. But then, it could be the coating and also that it's not a stand-alone and went with two other combination formulas at the same time.

I still know that I've taken garlic but I get no burning.

Still, remember, there are many other things to consider. Garlic is not for everyone and there are other equally good choices.

=======

Using allicin as part of a one combined formula/plan; & another formula /plan without:

http://tinyurl.com/5drx94

Lyme Disease and Modern Chinese Medicine - by Dr. QingCai Zhang, MD & Yale Zhang

web site: try www.sinomedresearch.org and use "clinic" and then "clinic" for the passwords or call Hepapro through www.hepapro.com

============

Other things besides garlic/allicin are explored here:

http://tinyurl.com/5vnsjg

Book: Healing Lyme: Natural Healing And Prevention of Lyme Borreliosis And Its Coinfections - by Stephen Harrod Buhner

website: http://planetthrive.com/2009/08/buhner-healing-lyme-program/

-----
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/86857

Topic: Buhner Healing Lyme Q & A links have changed
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
djf2005
Member # 11449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for djf2005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Allicin/Allimax may be easier to tolerate

--------------------
"Experience is not what happens to you; it is what you do with what happens to you."

[email protected]

Posts: 2269 | From Lansdowne, Pa | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you read the instructions on taking Freeze Dried Biopure Garlic, you will not have a burning problem. You are supposed to take them right after you finish your meal, when all the food intake is complete, i.e. after the last bite of food.

Some people take a couple of hours after the meal and a couple of hours before the next meal, again. If it is done that way, take a capsule and open it into a bit of warm water (3-4 tablespoons full) dissolve it and drink it. Use enough water to make it a pleasant drink.

Again, it is important to read instructions especially if it is something that Dr. K. recommends. The reason are always there and explained.

From an old post of mine:

* QAI certified raw organic garlic, Advanced Sublimation Technology. 26,800 ppm alliin content (industry standard for high potency is 10,000 ppm).
* Historical data:
* First recorded 5000 BC - Sumerians of Mesopotamia.
* Hippocrates 400 BC - infections, digestive problems and cancer.
* Dioscorides 100 BC - infections, clearing arteries and Leprosy.
* Louis Pasteur 1858 - scientific proof that garlic kills germs.
* Known in WWII as the "Russian Penicillin".
The medicinal properties of fresh garlic have been known for centuries and it has been the mainstay `anti-infective'of numerous civilications through the ages.

The problem that has arisen in presenting garlic as a supplement is the inherent instability of the initial active substance, allicin, which is created when a clove of garlic is crushed.

Allicin is not found, as such, within the garlic clove, instead, when the clove is crushed, allicin is formed instantaneously from the interaction of an enzyme called alliinase on a precursor of allicin called alliin.

By selecting the highest quality of garlic cloves, rich in alliin and alliinase, and then gently freeze-drying them, a concentrated powder is produced which only releases the prime active allicin component when ingested and rehydrated, i.e. all of the allicin is released within the gastrointestinal tract. This is exactly how the highest possible potency garlic is presented as a concentrate with all of the active components intact,

This way it is an active concentrate of freeze-dried garlic rich in alliin and alliinase, which releases high levels of allicin directly in the gut when ingested and rehydrated.

We take the freeze dried garlic after the last bite of the meal, or take it between meals by opening the capsule into a bit of lukewarm water and drinking it. It tastes pretty good, I must say.

I used garlic every day (9-12 capsules divided) for many months - and I only could do that continuously by taking it in or from capsules. I had brief period of no garlic in between to avoid incompatibility - I never take anything without a break. Crushing would have stopped my taking it. But that is me ! If you put it in capsules, the alliin will disappear. I don't know what would happen if you freeze it. It is not freeze-dried. And it should be only organic --- not from China which probably is toxic as you buy it. I used and still use Biopureus or BioImmersion - note the potency of 26,800 ppm alliin and the potency that is industry standard.

I think it was one of my most beneficial medicines because it works across the board - antibacterial, antiviral, antifungal, antiparasitic, and it is very effective with heavy metals.

Take care.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GiGi,

What role does it play with heavy metals?

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gwb
Member # 7273

GiGi, thanks for your advice. I took it in the middle of the meal, not the end of it. I will try again tomorrow to take it at the end of the meal.

Drinking it in luke warm water???? [Eek!] [dizzy] Hmmm, not sure I'm that bold. [shake] BUT, I will give it a try and if it doesn't work out you'll be the first to know about it. [Big Grin]

GiGi
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Canefan,
Garlic contains compounds called sulfhydryl groups, which aid in the detoxification process by transporting mercury through the body, especially the kidneys, according to Dr. Klinghardt. (As long as you are not allergic to the toxic metal at the DNA level - see Allergie Immun Germany or www.allergie-immun.de (English) thread. If you are allergic to the metals in question, all bets are off. In this case, the immune system does not recognize the toxins and does not respond.

Take care.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm seriously considering trying BioPure garlic. Maybe it's worth a try.
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gwb
Member # 7273

seek, if you're going to do garlic capsules, BioPure is on top of the list. Organic and great quality too.

I'm hoping to be able to handle it this morning *after* I finish my meal as GiGi suggested.

Gary

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement