LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » DIET

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: DIET
hopeforhealth
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hopeforhealth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

I was hoping to get some input about diet and illness and recovering from illness and what roll a diet plays in the recovery. Compared to "normal" people I eat a strict diet low carbs, very little dairy and sugar lots of fruit and veggies etc. I do however have a coffee in the morning, I will have a piece of chocolate here and there etc. I have been mainly eating fruits, veggies and protein, I drink soya instead of milk and eat nuts for treats. Then I was reading some posts on here and the person said she had eaten very little fruit in the past year due to her anti-inflammatory diet. I was not aware I could not eat fruit, is this true? I eat quit a bit of fruit because honestly I am running out of things I can eat. I am thin and at one point when my illness was at its worse I was wasting away. Any advice would be great. Thanks so much.

Posts: 199 | From Niagara Falls | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Low sugar fruits are fabulous. If candida is seriously flared, it may be best to avoid even those until candida is under control. Also, eating at the end of a balanced meal helps moderate the glycemic index.

But, mostly, the dark berries and tart apples, and other lower sugar fruits . . . are fabulous sources of antioxidants and fiber. We really need all the color that we can get in our diets.

Good fruits help reduce inflammation, generally they do not cause it unless candida is a big problem and the fruit is too high in sugar.

As for chocolate, only DARK and at the highest number you can take. Green & Black's Organic 85% DARK chocolate - just one ounce with nuts or after a balance meal can work out okay for many. One ounce does not sound like a lot but it really does go a long way - especially if you can mix with nuts.

Generally, a MEDITERRANEAN diet is good, minus the wheat and wine.

Non-gluten whole grains, in moderation, are fabulous sources of nutrition and can be prepared in hundreds of ways with various garden herbs and spices for flavor and variety.

Quinoa, Red Quinoa, Millet, Buckwheat, Wild Rice, Brown, Red and Black Rices.

If we don't eat enough, our detox methods don't stand a chance. The fiber/bulk is required by our GI system to capture waste products and move it on out.

But, just as important is the variety of nutrients and antioxidants - and a wide variety of foods also helps with glycemic tolerance. The food all works together to fuel our body and is absorbed, released at different times over the span of hours.

=========

www.christinacooks.com

Chef, Christina Pirello. . . .

I watch her program on my PBS "Create" channel.

It's very easy to substitute non-gluten whole grains in the recipes that have wheat. And, while she is a vegetarian cook, her dishes are still excellent if one choose to add a baked chicken or grilled wild salmon.

She's also a bit heavy on the brown rice syrup for a lyme patient but, just use a touch, or stevia.

Other books: Spoonful of Ginger (another author)

Crackers: www.marysgonecrackers.com
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haley
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 22008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was wasting away to nothing and becoming very weak. I tried my best to stick to the healthy diet but I also needed to gain weight and some muscle.

I think I began to gain weight when I started treating Babs and parasites. I also started to eat coconut oil (in very small amounts). Protein shakes in the morning help.

Recently my boyfriend told me that he didn't think I would make it a few months ago (he's also an MD). He now says that I look like I'm 50% back to normal.

It's the first time in my life I have ever been happy to gain weight [Smile]

Posts: 2232 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haley
Member # 22008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting article. I didn't read it all but I thought this was interesting:

What was noteworthy was that
feeding a 20 percent protein diet to previously
malnourished mice (fed a 2% protein diet) reversed
the fatal course of the infection.

Posts: 2232 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gwb
Member # 7273

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gwb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.westonaprice.org/

Gary

Posts: 1349 | From OK | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
richedie
Member # 14689

Icon 1 posted      Profile for richedie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Humans need very little protein. Human milk is less than 5% and that is the time we are growing the fastest. BUT, in times of chronic infection....requirements go up. Luckily most people eat way more protein than required so you are probably alright.

--------------------
Mepron/Zith/Ceftin
Doxy/Biaxin/Flagyl pulse.
Artemisinin with Doxy/Biaxin.
Period of Levaquin and Ceftin.
Then Levaquin, Bactrim and Biaxin.
Bactrim/Augmentin/Rifampin.
Mepron/Biaxin/Artemisinin/Cat's Claw
Rifampin/Bactrim/Alinia
Plaquenil/Biaxin

Posts: 1949 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
http://icmr.nic.in/ijmr/2006/august/0804.pdf

THE REQUIREMENTS OF PROTEIN & AMINO ACID DURING ACUTE & CHRONIC INFECTION . . .

Anura V. Kurpad - Institute of Population Health & Clinical Research, Bangalore, India 129. Indian J Med Res 124, August 2006, pp 129-148.

Excerpt:

" . . . In general, the amount of EXTRA protein that would appear to be needed is of the order of 20-25 per cent of the recommended intake, for most infections. . . ."

- 20 pages - Full article at link (or google the title if it does not go through).
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haley
Member # 22008

An ND here in San Diego just finished a book titled The Lyme Diet.

I've started reading it and I think it will be very helpful.

You could probably do a search on google and find it.

massman
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The Pro-Vita Plan for Optimal Health"
www.amazon.com

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement