LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Italy - Germany - and now the U.S. approach

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Italy - Germany - and now the U.S. approach
Marnie
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In Italy, the goal of ICHT was to *increase ATP* by speeding up glycolysis and to burn fat (which was the original use for DNP i.e., immediate weight loss) which -> ketones.

In Germany, the goal of infrared therapy was also to *increase ATP* (adenosine triphosphate).

Now...in the U.S. there is another way to increase ATP.

Look closely at this:

"What Is Axona?

Axona is a formulation of caprylic triglyceride,
a medium-chain triglyceride that is metabolized
to ketone bodies,

predominantly b-hydroxybutyrate (BHB).

BHB in turn is metabolized to acetyl-coenzyme A (acetyl-CoA).

Acetyl-CoA enters the tricarboxylic acid cycle

leading to

*adenosine triphosphate production.*

Axona is metabolized to BHB in the liver.

BHB serves as an

alternate energy substrate

for neuronal metabolism.

BHB is known to cross the blood-brain barrier and enter the brain.

BHB is a common metabolic substrate that is normally produced by the body for neurons in starvation states where glucose is less available."

http://www.neurologyreviews.com/ADs/Axona_newsletter.pdf

Axona is a new expensive "medicinal food" for Alzheimer's.

This takes TIME to work.

The tricarboxylic acid cycle = the citric acid cycle.

Caprylic acid is a component of virgin coconut oil.

In the liver, caprylic acid normally converts to a very unique HELPFUL ketone, BHB, which is known to "rescue" the cells depleted of specific nutrients.

Technically the process is called anaplerosis.

The supplement called Capryl by Solaray contains Ca as caprylate, ***Mg as caprylate*** and Zn as caprylate (according to the bottle). It does NOT contain Na...IMO, a good thing.

I often wondered why our liver was unable to help out.

This maybe why:

"TNF- and IL-6 Synergistically Inhibit Ketogenesis From Fatty Acids in (rat) liver cells."

"TNF- and IL-6 caused inhibition of ketogenesis from -ketoisocaproate and from octanoic acid."

http://pen.sagepub.com/cgi/content/abstract/22/5/286

Furthermore in *zinc restricted* cells, oxidation of BHB (and alanine) is increased in experimental animals.

(Bb has "zinc fingers".)

Octanoic acid is caprylic acid.

So it appears we have to get inflammation down AND hit Bb.

In Romania, doctors cured early onset lyme by giving the anti-inflammatory, Mg (magnesium),

AND IV abx.

I believe the cure is 2-fold: reduce the inflammation AND hit the infection.

Caprylic acid is a KNOWN anti-bacterial, anti-viral and anti-fungal.

Reducing inflammation maybe where OmegaBrite fits into the equation. It reduces the inflammatory cytokines.

OmegaBrite is available in kid's dosages. It is a very unique formulation.

Caprylic acid is a medium chain SATURATED fatty acid (loaded with hydrogen).

For general info.including warnings:

http://www.healthline.com/natstandardcontent/caprylic-acid

No...I do not have any idea of doses AND timing.

Since OmegaBrite can lower the inflammatory cyotkines that are interfering with our liver producing ketones (esp. helpful BHB), perhaps children's doses of OmegaBrite alone can help children.

And yes, OmegaBrite lowers TNFa, IL1B and IL6.

http://www.jacn.org/cgi/content/full/21/6/495

http://www.lipidworld.com/content/7/1/24

http://www.ihop-net.org/UniPub/iHOP/pm/9697290.html?nr=8&pmid=12562859

I have MANY additional links.

EPA is believed to help even multiple myeloma (B cell cancer...bone cancer):

http://www.marshall.edu/sigmaxi/SXProgram2009.pdf

Now about ketones...I know they sound scary to many of you.

"Benign dietary ketosis can safely occur in people following low-carbohydrate diets, which cause fats to be metabolised as a major source of energy.

This is different from ketosis brought on as a result of starvation, and from ketoacidosis, a dangerous condition that can affect diabetics."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acetyl-CoA

Bb is fermenting glucose to make its own ATP:

http://www.horizonpress.com/jmmb/v2/v2n4/09.pdf

Now we use glucose to make ATP too, but in a jam, WE can use ketones.

While I have been very busy the past few months with personal things, I have also been working behind the scenes to try hard to bring this all together (with links) as time allowed.

I will post the information with links when it is completed.

To the best of my ability.

May God Bless you all with healing.

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Man you have been busy. Thanks for the info. Could you break it down for suggestions for dummies like me.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MorningSong
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19989

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MorningSong     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quote:
_____
I believe the cure is 2-fold: reduce the inflammation AND hit the infection.

Reducing inflammation maybe where OmegaBrite fits into the equation. It reduces the inflammatory cytokines.
_____

Are the cytokines called TNFa, IL1B and IL6? Is there a blood test to test if these are high?

Thank you for sharing this.

Posts: 515 | From In His Loving Care | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
springshowers
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 19863

Icon 1 posted      Profile for springshowers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Now...in the U.S. there is another way to increase ATP."

So what is the "way" being used in the USA.

Marnie I am doing IPT. What is your feeling on that technique of treatment delivery?

Posts: 2747 | From Unites States Of America | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The "medicinal food", Axona, increases ATP.

The active component in it is caprylic acid.

But if inflammation is present and is impacting/harming the liver...caprylic acid may not be able to be converted to BHB.

Get the inflammation down!!!

OmegaBrite...it is very very unique.

IPT...insulin therapy to carry abx. into the cells.

Didn't work. Shantha, Atlanta.

Is he still trying that?

WHY?

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
springshowers
Member # 19863

Icon 1 posted      Profile for springshowers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi. I am interested in any ways to bring inflammation down.
I totally agree with the inflamation factor.

So Omegabrite is one thing that helps?

What else do you recommend or have others had success with?

What does Shantha, Atlanta Mean?

IPT being done in many places across US and yes it is till being done and tried.

Posts: 2747 | From Unites States Of America | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Axona is a new expensive "medicinal food" for Alzheimer's.

Caprylic acid is a component of virgin coconut oil.

I went right for the coconut.
I ate 2 to 3 ounces of coconut cream concentrate daily, and it put my body into ketosis.

The weight began to melt off.
I did not change my diet or do any exercise.

This was all fine and good, but there was one annoying problem.
The kidneys were working overtime, even when I was asleep.
I'd go to bed, and wake up an hour or two later needing to void 24 ounces of urine. Ugh.
Normal urine output when asleep should be about an ounce per hour.

As I lost weight, my hip and waist measurements went down a couple inches, but not the chest.
My neck and throat looked better, as excess fat was reduced.

However, I stopped, and gradually gained it all back.
As far as I can tell, my excess weight is due to metabolic reasons.

My brain fog, memory problems, and fatigue were not improved with this.

If you do try coconut oil, be aware that it affects the thyroid and your metabolism.

Carol

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Member # 773

Only ONE ketone is vital...

BHB.

What did you do to reduce inflammation at the same time?

TNF alpha and IL 6 prevent caprylic acid from -> BHB in the liver.

Pinelady
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can you fool the body into thinking there is no inflammation. With something like benedryl or Zyrtec?

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Member # 773

Pinelady, I think we may try alternative means to *reduce inflammation* and to prevent IgE (allergic reaction...very dangerous) from kicking in.

But to simply get ONE cytokine down, like Humira for TNF alpha, isn't enough (my sis).

While Humira HELPS, it does not cure.

The cure is 2 fold...get all the cytokines down AND hit Bb.

Morning...I forgot to answer your question...

Testing:

http://www.lef.org/Vitamins-Supplements/ItemLCCYT/Cytokine-Panel---IL1b-IL6-IL8-TNF-Alpha-Blood-Test.html

http://www.aruplab.com/guides/ug/tests/0051394.jsp

Or Google: cytokine testing

Pinelady, I think this maybe what happened (and I can link all of this):

Bb first expresses OspA which triggers ROS (reactive oxygen species) -> oxLDL (oxidized low density lipoproteins) via macrophage (a white blood cell) activation of CB1.

OxLDL -> caspase 9 and then capase 3.

Caspase 3 cleaves MAGI-1 which is required for Rap 1 activation.

But CB2 Rap1 is needed to inhibit CB1 stimulated ROS production.

When Bb's OspA is oxidized, Bb changes his outer cell wall to OspB and the cell sends to the surface, a receptor called CB2 which works the opposite.

Agonists (helpers) of the CB2 receptor STOP INFLAMMATION. It is a call for help.

But by then our own antibody to CB2 is damaged (mAB CB2).

Bb was counting on that to survive. It needed to buy time.

In other words, we reacted first to Bb's OspA, but he changed "coats" on us -> OspB. By the time our system realized it, our own antibodies were "damaged" (mAB CB2). So we got stuck in an initial reaction. Ongoing inflammation and ongoing oxidative stress damage our DNA.

I'm working on seeing if this will work and how:

Conclusion CB1 promotes pro-inflammatory responses of macrophages through ROS production, which is negatively regulated by CB2 through Rap1 activation.

Blocking CB1 together with selective activation of CB2 may suppress pro-inflammatory responses of macrophages.

http://cardiovascres.oxfordjournals.org/content/early/2009/09/25/cvr.cvp240.abstract

Block/antagonize CB1 receptors and help out/agonist CB2 receptors.

It appears 2AG maybe a ligand (binder helper) for BOTH CB1 and CB2 (Cannabinoid) receptors.

2-Arachidonoylglycerol = 2 AG which comes from omega 6s and...

Always keep in mind...reduce inflammation AND hit Bb.

Okay...now Bb has a PKC inhibitor. I think it maybe PKCB2.

Tamoxifen is a man-made PKC inhibitor to destroy breast cancer cells. It works better WITH EPA.

Tamoxifen inhibits one form of PKC and upregulates another. I haven't found which one it inhibits...yet.

This is interesting - tamoxifen info. - skim it (re: citrate which inactivates PFK):

http://www.axxora.com/scripts/pdf/reports/download_rep_JcWvgf.pdf

Tamoxifen together with EPA (the Omega 3 I'm pushing):

http://annonc.oxfordjournals.org/content/14/7/1051.full

sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some people use Caprylic acid for yeast infections...

Don't know what to make to this post, otherwise.

It's too over my head.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CD57
Member # 11749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CD57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe take OmegaBrite? [Smile]
Posts: 3528 | From US | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement