LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Nosebleeds

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Nosebleeds
Marrit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25454

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marrit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am new to this forum, recently diagnosed by an LLMD with infection based on IGeneX Western Blot and symptoms. I've been sick for about 15 years, so I presume I'm late stage or chronic or whatever the term is. I have not begun abtx, yet, have an appointment next week.
Last week I had a sudden nosebleed that was gushing. My son called 911. It took a long time to get it under control. Before the nosebleed, I had been feeling extra sick for a few days. I had the usual pressure/pain behind the eyes, aching, low fever, etc. I had laid down after supper when suddenly it began. Anyone else get nosebleeds, or should I be looking for another explanation?
I think I might have at least one co-infection along with the Babs.

Posts: 277 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MDW005
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 22706

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MDW005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get nose bleeds but not like gushers. Do you have high blood pressure?

Some people with high bp get the nose bleeds.

when I worked ER I saw it on occasion.

--------------------
God's promises mean you always have something wonderful to look forward to.

Posts: 2150 | From Georgia | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marrit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25454

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marrit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for the replies.
MDW005, I actually have very low blood pressure normally.
massman, I have wondered if I have a clotting problem because I also bruise very easily. I don't have a primary doc, and I don't have health insurance, so I tend to tough things out.
What kinds of tests would you suggest?
I can maybe order online through DirectLabs and save money.

Posts: 277 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Massman. Get platelets checked asap.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitty9309
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19945

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitty9309     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bartonella can cause nosebleeds. (so can other things as mentioned)

Search the web for "epistaxis Bartonella"

Posts: 819 | From East Coast | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elizzza811
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24713

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elizzza811     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not to scare you, but both my mom and my ex developed nosebleeds several years prior to their brain tumor diagnosis. My mom had to dial 911 for hers and even had to receive blood transfusions.

My ex's was due to his cell phone use.

Posts: 495 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marrit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25454

Thank you to everyone for your suggestions and information. I'll consider all of it.

Pinelady: Last blood work from January showed platelets at 250, within normal range. Is that what you meant by platelets?

massman: what kind of heart problems? I have muscle spasms next to my heart and sometimes stabbing pain. I added that to my long list of Lyme symptoms and have not seen a doctor for it.

kitty9309: re Bartonella and epistaxis, I couldn't find anything on the web except in dogs. I have very prominent Bartonella symptoms, so if anyone finds information on nosebleeds and Bartonella I would appreciate a link.

Pinelady
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes- If you have not had them checked in 3mths. it might be worthwhile for peace of mind.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitty9309
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19945

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitty9309     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Marrit:

I found one! I knew Dr. Ed Breitschwerdt has mentioned it in humans.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/525116_3

In domestic dogs, B. v. berkhoffii is a cause of endocarditis[6] and, as in humans, the clinical spectrum of the infection attributed to this organism is expanding. B. v. berkhoffii is now associated with cardiac arrhythmias, endocarditis and myocarditis, granulomatous lymphadenitis, granulomatous rhinitis, and epistaxis.

(The wording above could be argued, but it does seem to be referring to dogs and humans)

This next one is clear, though:

http://www.ajtmh.org/cgi/content/full/74/2/222

Comparable clinical manifestations such as endocarditis, peliosis hepatis, granulomatous hepatitis, lymphadenitis, and epistaxis have been observed in humans and domestic dogs infected with Bartonella spp.2

Posts: 819 | From East Coast | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymebytes
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 11830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymebytes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It could have to do with lyme and it may not. It also could be a repeatedly opening "wound" inside your nose that simply needs cauterizing. Have your doctor take a look.

I had Bart and never got a bloody nose. I have a friend who gets them frequently and it is because her inner nose is very dry, she lightly coats it with neosporin daily and it has helped.

--------------------
www.truthaboutlymedisease.com

Posts: 2003 | From endemic area | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marrit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25454

Thanks for the links kitty9309.
I have some level of inflammation in my nose/sinus's all the time. It becomes acute when I am in a flare, with low grade fever, ear pain and spasm, aching eyes. I was in a flare when I got the nosebleed. So, the evidence seems to point to Bartonella.
lymebytes, I also read online that one can use estrogen cream off label to help thicken the skin in the nose. Neosporin is another alternative, as you mentioned, but with caution, as inhaling too much petroleum could cause lipoid pneumonia.

Marrit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25454

I saw a doctor after the second gusher that suddenly came a week after the first.
She looked, saw the clot, said to keep things moist, gave me a sample of some type of pad to stick up the nose to help it clot "for the next time," and that was it.
My LLMD said he's treated Bart for 9 years and never had a patient with nosebleeds as a symptom, so maybe this is another type of infection.
I have had a lot of fluid build-up and pressure behind my ears and ears and the pressure is worse when I lay down, which might be why the bleeds start when I am lying down!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement