LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » how to lower cholesterol with lyme?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: how to lower cholesterol with lyme?
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i am having real problems with this zocor. it's making my stomach hurt, muscle pain, feet, etc.

i don't think i can take this stuff.

i'd like to try and lower my cholesterol naturally but with lyme i don't know how to do it.

can anybody recommend something to lower cholesterol? got to be something that will work with heart problems.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wrotek
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5354

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wrotek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
with water, www.watercure2.org
Posts: 636 | From Wroclaw, Poland | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wrotek
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5354

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wrotek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
coffee is the strongest cholesterol rising element in human diet. Contains cafestol - diterpene that does the thing.
Posts: 636 | From Wroclaw, Poland | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
northstar
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for northstar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://health.msn.com/health-topics/cholesterol/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100110386

Higher cholesterol was related to unfiltered (not filtered) coffee consumption of >6 cups per day.
Unfiltered is like with French Press or cowboy/ranch
style or even the old percolators that used metal
strainers.

Paper filters remove most of the terpenes, according to this article with study citations.

Northstar

Posts: 1331 | From hither and yonder | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wrotek
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5354

according to www.watercure2.org cholesterol has a mechanical function that prevents further water loss from the system. Dehydration is caused by consumption of caffeine alcohol and not drinking enough water and salt.
wrotek
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5354

//indicate that consuming five cups of French press coffee per day (30 milligrams of cafestol) for four weeks raises cholesterol in the blood 6 to 8 percent. //
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/06/070614162223.htm

==============================

randibear
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i've never drank coffee, can't stand the taste.

also never smoked and no alcohol.

however, i did drink a ton of soft drinks, which i have cut out completely.

--------------------

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love the Cholestramine. You get 2 bangs for your buck. It pulls the cholesterol and toxins. And makes me feel better.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wrotek
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5354

randibear, what about black or green tea ?
wrotek
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5354

randibear what do u drink and how much?
randibear
Member # 11290

i drink only water, maybe rarely a diet coke, nothing else. i try to get 8 glasses a day but usually average 5-7.

--------------------

sammy
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Decrease the amount of grains and added sugar in your diet.

Focus on eating proteins, vegs, and fruits.

Fats are fine, even saturated fats (your body needs these for your nerves and brain). Don't switch your butter to margarine. Avoid hydrogenate oils like the plague.

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lemon-Lyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lemon-Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Niacin (or time-released Niaspan) or red yeast rice, are supplement options.

But check with your doctor before trying either.

If you take RYR or continue with the statin, take CoQ10 with it.

Posts: 584 | From NY | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Coconut oil is supposed to help too. Some people are able to eat it by the spoonful. I wish that I was one of them. It made me gag. Couldn't even tolerate a small amount when used for cooking.
Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vitamin E does a good job too.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wrotek
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5354

what about your salt intake ? Do u eat salt ? I have always wondered, is it popular not to eat salt in USA ?
steve1906
Member # 16206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve1906   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi wrotek, I find most people avoid salt almost all the time in the US. I never use salt on anything...never, not even cooking.

I have high cholesterol and high blood presure since having Lyme three years ago - should I be using salt to help lower these problems?????

Thanks,
Roy

--------------------
Everything I say is just my opinion!

Posts: 3529 | From Massachusetts Boston Area | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NanaDubo
Member # 14794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NanaDubo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have a look at Himalayan Salt - http://www.americanbluegreen.com/

Bottom right hand side of page - read about sole.

I have it every morning.

Posts: 1129 | From Maine | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exercise and eat healthy foods low in fat! Dont mix bad carbs with fat!Keep your salt intake at a normal to low level to stay healthy. Exercise is KEY. Ways to lower...garlic, red yeast rice, Vitamin D, antioxidants, eating right and if need be things like crestor, etc.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wrotek
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5354

In Poland we use salt , there is a bawl of salt in the kitchen all the time.
wrotek
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5354

Well apparently Yes, take a look at www.watercure2.org and read testimonials. also www.watercure.com .
Salt is to keep the water inside the body and inject it into the cells, it balances the quantity and thus pressure of water inside/outside of the cells .

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you buy the Red Yeast Rice yet?? and the Omega 3's?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
steve1906,

Every living mammal requires salt. Sea salt is best. We cannot live without salt. True, it's best to totally avoid all processed foods, and salt is naturally present in some foods like celery and mushrooms, so we have to figure that in. But, generally, adding a bit of sea salt to your diet is a good thing.

Some salt is required for our bodies to make all the hormones we need for ADRENAL FUNCTION. Of course, for anyone diagnosed with any kind of kidney disease, medical advice on how much, what type, when and water consumption is vital.

Also, to help protect kidney function, it's good to avoid ibuprofen as that can be hard on the kidneys.

You can read more about how sea salt can help the cells - different than the action of typical processed table salt. This all takes a bit of study.

You'd want to monitor your blood pressure daily with your own home cuff/kit to be sure you are on track. For some, it may be that the salt naturally found in some vegetables is enough for them.

Calcium helps with blood pressure control, by the way. More here, for a start:

http://www.vrp.com/ArticlesSearch.aspx?k=Salt

Search results for Salt - 4 Articles
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gwb
Member # 7273

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gwb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My cholesterol went down (and health improved) when I started eating according to the http://www.westonaprice.org/ diet.

Gary

Posts: 1349 | From OK | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
massman
Unregistered

Whay are your specific numbers if you don't mind ?

Gary, they will run screaming from Dr. Prices insights + recommendations as it isn't what
"everybody else" is doing.
[Cool]

Carol in PA
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by randibear:
i am having real problems with this zocor. it's making my stomach hurt, muscle pain, feet, etc.

Zocor� Side Effects
http://www.spacedoc.net/zocor.html

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Yeah, what are the numbers if you can post it.
kidsgotlyme
Member # 23691

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kidsgotlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used red yeast rice, omega 3-6-9, and CoQ10. It worked for me.

--------------------
symptoms since 1993 that I can remember. 9/2018 diagnosed with Borellia, Babesia Duncani, and Bartonella Hensalae thru DNA Connections.

Posts: 1470 | From Tennessee | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sillia
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23994

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sillia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My husband lowered his total cholesterol from 247 to 150, and he also lost 30 pounds by following the McDougall program. He's maintained that success for several years now. My cholesterol went from 179 to 126 and I lost 10 pounds during the same time frame. We are both now in a heart disease risk category that's almost zero.

Read a book by Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn, "Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease," http://www.heartattackproof.com/

Dr. McDougall's program can be found at http://www.drmcdougall.com/

This approach is meatless, but if you have an open mind about that you may find an answer to your problem.

Posts: 261 | From Nebraska | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
massman
Unregistered

sillia - lower is much more dangerous than higher. This is a fact that has been known for years.
Marrit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25454

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marrit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't dispute what you're saying, massman, but can you cite a source?
Thanks

Posts: 277 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
massman
Unregistered

Off the top (or maybe it is the bottom) of my head, a book called "The Cholesterol Myths" by Dr. Ravnskov, an article titled "The Cholesterol Myth" by Dr. Tips.

When I have time - perhaps tomorrow - I will access www.westonaprice.org for articles there.

massman
Unregistered

Marrit - Here is a link to the Weston A. Price site for some cholesterol info.
There are many other articles there about diet and health.

www.westonaprice.org

Good reading to you ! Explore !

ninjaphire
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18234

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ninjaphire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This blog is by a cardiologist who uses lifestyle changes to lower cholesterol. His recommendations are to stop eating wheat, reduce carbohydrates, etc.

http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/search/label/Statin%20drugs

Posts: 330 | From Colorado, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
massman
Unregistered

Access the site I listed above and see the article about males under 50 years of age have no increase of heart disease with their cholesterol up to ...... 350 !

All the cholesterol lowering mindless media babble is to sell drugs, not to improve your health

Anybody know what the body uses cholesterol for ?.

Lemon-Lyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lemon-Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would recommend the same heartscan blog mentioned by ninjaspire above. Dr. Davis has been reversing heart disease in his patients using primarily diet and supplements only.

Keys seem to be: drop wheat and high carb/sugary foods, get vitamin D levels normalized, make sure thyroid levels are normal, and take fish oil, + niacin (if needed).

I disagree with the concept that cholesterol doesn't matter. It does matter, but not in the ways most doctors seem to think. Lipid particle sizes matter -- you want nice fat LDL particles, and high HDL, and low trigs.

Posts: 584 | From NY | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
massman
Unregistered

These are not concepts, they are facts.

I was in the middle of posting site addresses + articles + papers about this when my laptop froze.

I had googled "Dangers of low cholesterol" and was checking out the hits. Lots of common knowledge is mostly due to advertising.
[bonk]

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What happened to randi????

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marrit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25454

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marrit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about LDL AND high triglycerides AND low HDL.
That's what my 28 year old son has.
High cholesterol might not be significant of much, but if the triglycerides are also high and the good cholesterol is low, what about that?

Posts: 277 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
massman
Unregistered

Fix the liver !

You do not need to "cleanse" it or "flush" it.
It is already stressed.

Howling begins when I recommend specific supplements. I guess it is okay when others do it, but not me.

Lemon-Lyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19229

quote:
Originally posted by Marrit:
What about LDL AND high triglycerides AND low HDL.
That's what my 28 year old son has.
High cholesterol might not be significant of much, but if the triglycerides are also high and the good cholesterol is low, what about that?

That does matter. When people dismiss cholesterol as being important, I agree when they say total cholesterol -- as a high total cholesterol number is close to meaningless without more info.

But high triglycerides almost always mean small particle LDL, which also tend to be the dangerous type.

Your son may benefit from getting vitamin D levels normalized, dropping sugary/high carb foods, including wheat, taking fish oil and considering niacin (through a doctor's care). Niacin will raise HDL, lower trigs and make his LDL particles fatter.

And have him get tested using a VAP lipoprotein test. It's much more accurate than a regular cholesterol profile, shows particle sizes for LDL + HDL, IDL, and Lp(a), which most docs never measure. HbA1c is also a good idea to get tested.

massman
Unregistered

Heal (GASP !) the liver [Roll Eyes]
It's that simple [Cool]
[woohoo]

randibear
Member # 11290

oh i'm still here, just reading.

mine is 276 but i don't remember the breakdowns.

i really don't want to take that zocor. i have so many problems with drugs and i'd rather do it some other way.

--------------------

massman
Unregistered

Thanks for the number, randi.

Lemon-Lyme this is beginning to look like the previous thread on thyroid babble. TSH, T3, T4, RT3, RT4 + on + on....

A healthy thyroid would not waffle like that, would it ? So helping that organ to heal would correctly stabilize all those values, wouldn't it ?

Same with the liver. If it was healthy then ALL the numbers would be good, wouldn't they ?

There are supplements designed to help specific organs heal. After healing occurs you should not need to constantly stimulate or sedate organs.
I really do not get why this is such a difficult concept to grasp.

Specific herbs + other nutritional factors are combined in specific ratios to enhance positive effects and decrease / eliminate poor side effects.

www.inno-vita.com and www.systemicformulas.com
make combined herbals in the way explained above.
Cruise them.

I did not "hear' about them from "everybody".
I actually used them on patients. And got good to great results. Wild + Crazy but TRUE !
[Cool] [woohoo] [woohoo]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement