LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Minocycline and Zith inquiry for child

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Minocycline and Zith inquiry for child
mysteryillness1970
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mysteryillness1970     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We saw a wonderful Doctor yesterday and he put my twelve year old on Zith and Monocycline 2x day for 4-6 months. Is it common to give the same abx for that long without breaks? We believe she has had Lyme for 6+ years now.

I asked about liver support and he said there was really no need..that the liver can handle it. She is only on 50mg monocycline 2x day and 250mg 2x day?

Should I put her on something for support anyway? And how do you space out suppliment treatments in between probiotics and abx? Ugh

Help new Lymie mom, and advice is certainly appreciated, thanks

Posts: 166 | From USA | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mysteryillness1970
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mysteryillness1970     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, I almost forgot..does she need to detox first and/or during and what kind of probiotics are strong enough for someone her age?

I asked about the biofilm but said that it will (or should be addressed after co-infections are hit with minocycline. Does this ring true to anyone?

Thanks!

Posts: 166 | From USA | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
I hate to disagree with your doctor but I think everyone should be on liver support to help protect from lyme toxins and from the medicines. Dr. B agrees that there are some supplements that are required. Milk Thistle is just one liver support.

Not all LLMDs are on the same page but there is no doubt that the liver takes a hit. Anything that can be done to protect and support the liver is well worth it.

This is included in Burrascano's Guidelines, but you may want to be able to refer to it separately, too:

http://www.lymepa.org/Nutritional_Supplements.pdf

** Nutritional Supplements in Disseminated Lyme Disease **

J.J. Burrascano, Jr., MD (2008) - Four pages

====================

From my experience with ear/vertigo problems that can occur with either zith or mino - and from ear experts - the liver support is to help the EARS and to help reduce vertigo.

More about that in this thread - although not specifically for a child, a child's liver would still need care:
-----------

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=065801

Topic: TINNITUS: Ringing Between The Ears; Vestibular, Balance, Hearing with compiled links - including HYPERACUSIS

=================

other relevant links:
--------------

http://www.lymeinducedautism.com/images/Lymewhat_is_it_part_3,_LIA.pdf

LYME DISEASE Considerations in Diagnosis and Management

June 26, 2008 Lyme-autism Connection Conference

125 pages - Powerpoint presentation

==============================

Chapter 1 from the book "Insights Into Lyme Disease Treatment"

http://www.lymebook.com/steven-harris

==================

Important information about treatments options and support measures, supplements and self-care:

http://tinyurl.com/6lq3pb (through Amazon)

THE LYME DISEASE SOLUTION (2008)

- by Kenneth B. Singleton , MD; James A. Duke. Ph.D. (Foreword)

You can read more about it here and see customer reviews.

Web site: www.lymedoctor.com

====================

http://www.dancingviolets.com/media/pdf/LymeDisease.pdf

Chronic Lyme Disease and Co-infections: Clinical Overview (Snow)
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mysteryillness1970
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24588

Thanks Keebler. If you had a child of twelve, not a lot of confidence in decision making and supplimenting priorities..what would you do?

These dosages and other suggestions, although helpful, are so overwhelming to me.

I am supposed to start her tomorrow and am up late frantically searching for the right answers. I want to do this the right way as many of her organs (including her eye have been effected)

Right now ahe is on Mag-Potassium Krebs, Fish oil, Iron, PB8 (in am) and a multi. At night Sac Bullardi (yeast probiotic), mag-potassuim and multi.

New doc says no need for magnesium, I am confused. Is that maybe due to the fact that it may interfere with the new abx trmt?

Unfortunately we didn't have time to ask and since I was alone, I didn't know to ask all the right questions.

In a nutshell what would you do if this were your child? I need to start her tomorrow and want to do this right.

Thanks for your suggestions!

jkmom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14004

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jkmom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a 12 year old daughter with Lyme.

Her old LLMD is very respected and had her on a similar plan, not sure about the exact dose, though. We only saw him every 5 months or so but we could call in with questions. He did not believe supplements were necessary, so we only did probiotics, multivitamin, calcium, and magnesium then.

We switched her to a more holistic LLMD partly because I was concerned about the lack of guidance for supplements. I didn't want to go to just any naturopath because I was afraid if they didn't know Lyme, it would make it worse. Plus, my husband wasn't on board with all of the supplements and I thought he would listen to a doctor more than a naturopath. I did not have the confidence to figure it out myself.

In your shoes though, since you have just started with this doctor and are happy so far, I think I would try to find a local naturopathic doctor for the other part of the treatment. Maybe ask a local Lyme support group for some suggestions.

My daughter now takes fish oil, HCL probiotics, and Researched Nutrionals Prescript Assist Pro probiotics along with a whole bunch of other supps. Her new LLMD does not recommend magnesium for some reason, but she does take Matrix Minerals.

The LLMD that didn't give supplement advice gets a lot of kids well, so maybe he is right about that for most kids. It is certainly easier to not have to make a kid take a whole lot of pills every day. We did give his way a try for a year before making the change.

It is not easy to know what to do, that is for sure.

Posts: 984 | From US | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peacemama
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17666

Icon 1 posted      Profile for peacemama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My sons were on zith for 4 - 6 months. My 4 year old was on just zith and my 12 year old was on zith and omnicef.

Both had just fine livers when it was over. According to labs anyway.

The kids drank kefir and kombucha and I separated the probiotics from the abx by 2 hours. The best recommendation I got from my LLMD who is highly trained in nutrition and supplement, was to give the probiotics at bedtime, when they can be in the system longer.

It is hard. You don't want your probies to go down the toilet, but they do. So, the longest they can be in the system the better.

The jury is still out on magnesium. The kids take a homeopathic cell salt -- a cali mag, I think.

4 - 6 months on a little body is easier than on a 40+ year old body. After 4 - 6 months of western abx, my kids are now on herbals (which are still hard on the liver and intestinal flora) but they are still having normal bowel movements.

Hang in there.

Posts: 564 | From Tick Hell | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peacemama
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17666

Icon 1 posted      Profile for peacemama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh! And we have a far infrared sauna that the kids use, but sometimes they just aren't up for it so we do epsom salts with thyme oil and warm water.

And, we do castor oil packs for the liver. With a hot water bottle over it.

http://altmedicine.about.com/cs/dietarytherapy/a/CastorOilPack.htm

A couple of simple things that can really help, IMO.

Posts: 564 | From Tick Hell | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement