LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Seeking opinions on the best magnesium oil

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Seeking opinions on the best magnesium oil
Abxnomore
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abxnomore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was wondering if anyone can share their experiences with magnesium oil. I've found three brands and am not sure which is the best or if they are all the same.

If anyone has used any of these products, I would love to hear which one you like best. Thanks ;-)

Ancient Minerals: http://www.ancient-minerals.com/

Magnesium Direct: http://www.magnesiumdirect.com/products.aspx

Swanson's Health Products: http://www.swansonvitamins.com/health-library/products/barbara-hendel-magnesium-oil.html

Posts: 5191 | From Lyme Zone | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have used this one for quite some time and are happy with it.
Am familiar with Dr. Hendel from her Salt & Water book for many years. Swansons now carry some other items which she promotes that I have my eye on. I like her approach in general.
http://www.swansonvitamins.com/health-library/video/barbara-hendel-magnesium-oil.html

It needs to be rinsed off after some time when it is absorbed, because it is a bit sticky. The spray is nice, but will get the larger quantity for baths next time, and then just refill the spray bottle.

Take care.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ping
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6974

Icon 14 posted      Profile for ping     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
abxnomore - The 3 you have listed are basically the same. I use Magnesium Direct because when they made a mistake to my account way back when, they were very polite and accommodating in correcting it AND gave me an additional bottle of Oil.

I don't want to tell you anything you already know, so please forgive if I seem redundant, but would advise against spraying the Oil directly on your skin; it burns. Please use 1/2 # of squirts advised in directions, mix with 1/2 water in a glass and spread on body while sitting on edge of tub, using your forearms. Let air dry, then dress. I can feel it working within about 20 minutes; you'll be nice and relaxed. No need to wash off until next bath, unless you're going to be sweating / doing heavy work.

Mag Oil is great stuff! Best to you!

Good luck

--------------------
ping
"We are more than containers for Lyme"

Posts: 1302 | From Back in TX again | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sapphire101
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sapphire101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only one I've used is the Swanson's. I also use their mag bath flakes and they can do wonders. I haven't tried the oil in my bath but will do as the flakes are expensive.

Here is what I do with the oil, I pour half in a container for later use and then fill the bottle up with water so it is diluted about 50%. The next bottle I will dilute it less as my body is more used to it. I tried it without diluting but it itched and burned a little.

I usually wash mine off after it dries but you don't have to. I just don't like how it feels on my skin.

Sapphire

Posts: 495 | From KY USA | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abxnomore
Member # 18936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abxnomore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you every one for your advice and replies.

Will order some today!

Posts: 5191 | From Lyme Zone | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FYI - I like this one -
http://www.productsknowledge.info/LawangOil.aspx

They also have a plain one with out the Luwang oil -
http://www.productsknowledge.info/MagnesiumOilGel.aspx

I haven't used a bunch of products to compare them but this one was nice. It does feel very briney if you put it on your skin. I would put some on & let it absorb & then take a bath.

You have to go here to order it -
http://www.globallight.net/Magnesium_30.html

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abxnomore
Member # 18936

Thanks again.
momlyme
Member # 27775

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am bumping this because I am curious what you mean by it burns? I am thinking about getting the magnesium oil for my son because I read it helps with pain? He's 11.

What kind of relief are you getting? Is it like a Ben Gay burn? Or like a "Mom tried to torture me today by making my skin burn."

--------------------
May health be with you!

Toxic mold was suppressing our immune systems, causing extreme pain, brain fog and magnifying symptoms. Four days after moving out, the healing began.

Posts: 2007 | From NY/VT Border | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kidsgotlyme
Member # 23691

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kidsgotlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
momlyme- I was just talking with another mom today and she has been researching this very subject.

She talked for a long time with a woman today who sells this product. I'm not sure what the name of the company is but I can get it for you.

The lady said that IF you are very deficient in magnesium, then you will get a burning, sizzling sensation on your skin.

I would be interested to know if the burning sensation actually stops when you are no longer deficient. That's what she implied though.

I'm seriously considering buying this product because the research supports the fact that magnesium is much better absorbed thru the skin than taking supplements by mouth. Plus you can get more magnesium into your system without having the side effects of messing with your tummy.

--------------------
symptoms since 1993 that I can remember. 9/2018 diagnosed with Borellia, Babesia Duncani, and Bartonella Hensalae thru DNA Connections.

Posts: 1470 | From Tennessee | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momlyme
Member # 27775

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm. I really need to ask my LLMD doctor if he may be getting too much magnesium.

I read tonight that magnesium can prevent the absorbtion of iron and his iron was low on the last blood test... so we added an iron supplement.

He is taking a mag supplement - and he does epsom salt foot baths 2-3 times a week. Perhaps he is getting too much magnesium?

From what I read, blood tests for mag deficiency are unreliable because the body will give mag to the blood and the bones and joints will remain deficient.

I'm going to bring this to the LLMD appt on thursday and hopefully leave there with something for the pain. I am doubting now that magnesium is the answer...

--------------------
May health be with you!

Toxic mold was suppressing our immune systems, causing extreme pain, brain fog and magnifying symptoms. Four days after moving out, the healing began.

Posts: 2007 | From NY/VT Border | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rumigirl
Member # 15091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rumigirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do what someone above recommended to avoid the burning/itching: dilute it 1/2 and 1/2 with water.

It's great stuff! I believe they are all pretty similar. Swanson's is the cheapest. You can even make your own, if you get a hold of the magnesium chloride that it is made from.

Posts: 3771 | From around | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momlyme
Member # 27775

Thanks Rumi, if I do decide to add it I will definitely dilute it.

I remember the first time I gave him apple cider vinegar... he was like - WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO DO- BURN MY THROAT?

I don't want a repeat of that with a burning of the skin!

--------------------
May health be with you!

Abxnomore
Member # 18936

Mom Lyme:

What you said is interesting. I experience no burning at all and I just had my levels tested and they are at the high end of the normal range. My doctor commented that my levels were very good.

I supplemented with oral mag and IM shots for many years.

I had a friend try the magnesium oil, a typical mainstream guy who takes about 13 medications but does not have Lyme, and he said it burned like hell. I'm sure he is mag deficient.

He has the attitude that mainstream doc's are gods and readily swallows any pills they dispense. He also recently found out his vitamin D level is 9! So much for his great team of doc's who have never checked it until now.

[ 11-17-2010, 01:08 PM: Message edited by: Abxnomore ]

kidsgotlyme
Member # 23691

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kidsgotlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I talked with my friend today, and she said that you shouldn't have the burning sensation UNLESS you are deficient in magnesium.

Also, she said that the epsom salts are a different form of magnesium. It will basically detox you.

I'm thinking that you can't get too much magnesium from the epsom salts. I don't really know for sure though, just my thoughts.

I am going to be trying the magnesium oil tonight because I got a little bit from my friend so I could see how it makes me feel.

I really think that this could be the best way to get it into our systems.

--------------------
symptoms since 1993 that I can remember. 9/2018 diagnosed with Borellia, Babesia Duncani, and Bartonella Hensalae thru DNA Connections.

Posts: 1470 | From Tennessee | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karenl
Member # 17753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karenl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is there any cheap magnesium glycinate for the skin?

I get mine from compounding and it is too expensive - but I tolerate only mag glycinate.

Posts: 1834 | From US | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement