LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Showed my LLMD the rash pictures I took and.....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Showed my LLMD the rash pictures I took and.....
yankees237
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25791

Icon 5 posted      Profile for yankees237     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have lyme. So first off i want to thank everyone who urged me to see the LLMD immediately.

So I have to wait a month and go back for some $600 blood test, Igenix or something?

In the meantime he prescribed me Bactrim DS ? To take instead of Doxycycline for an extended few weeks (my original doc prescribed 3 weeks of doxy)

So it's been a week since i been bit. I still don't have any symptoms, what should i be expecting the next few weeks? And what's up with this Bactrim DS?

Posts: 132 | From jersey | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Just Google Bactrim DS to learn more about it. If you have Singleton's book "Healing Lyme" it's on p. 257-258.

You do not need a lyme test. Ever. Three bulls eye rashes clearly = lyme. Will those tests be for other tick-borne infections?

Did he tell you to also take PROBIOTICS and some good liver supprt (such as Milk Thistle)?

What's the plan beyond the "extended few weeks"? Is this an ILADS-educated LLMD? You just want to be sure.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yankees237
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25791

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yankees237     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I actually didn't see too much information on Bactrim DS as it relates to lyme when i googled it.

yes the test will be for co-infections i believe. and yes he told me to increase my probiotic intake and i actually already take milk thistle on my own.

Posts: 132 | From jersey | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Cross search with the term "Borrelia" and you may find more. You basically need to read the manufacturer's page for Bactrim DS to be aware if you have an allergy, etc. or know where to find that information if you need it in a hurry.

You may feel some die-off reactions but since you've already been on doxy and doing okay you'll likely just feel a bit off kilter and be fine.

You've read Dr. B's guidelines about self-care, right? You know to avoid alcohol,totally. Also avoid all artificial sweeteners and MSG in all its names. Best to avoid artificial dyes, additive and all processed foods.

Eat plenty of fresh food - all sorts of veggies and low-sugar fruits, good proteins and healthy fats. Be sure to get enough sleep and rest if you feel the need. Move as best you can and stay moderately active if you can - according to your instinct but avoid aerobics.

Avoid high heat. If you can find a low-heat infrared sauna around, use it. Epson salts baths in warm (not hot) water are excellent. Enjoy the nurturing. Your body will be so glad to have you in charge.

----------

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/ubb/search/search_forum/1

Archive search - for past threads about Bactrim

================

Most important question: what is the plan beyond these few extended weeks of Bactrim DS?

I know you'll test for coinfections but what did the doctor say about how the lyme treatment will go from then on? You need to be sure he won't just drop you after a few more weeks.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yankees237
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25791

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yankees237     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
keebler should i avoid aerobic exercise permanatley or is this a temporary thing while im on antibiotics?
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Until you are recovered. Your LLMD can guide you. With infection, aerobics can damage the heart. While abx tx can help take the infection down, there can still be substantial stress on the heart with aerobics. Also, lyme patients often carry a number of viruses and antibiotics don't help at all in that case.

There are still plenty of ways to still be active if you are up to it. Just slow things down. Go back over Dr. B's self-care section from your previous threads. Then talk to your doctor, listen to your body.
-

yankees237
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25791

thanks keebler. appreciate everything
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since you caught it early, chances are good that you will just take the abx and be done. That's how it was for my son. [Smile]

Read through the Dr. B guidelines, especially the exercise part. I was able after some time to do cardio exercise. He says if the stamina allows, it's okay.

He wants Lyme patients to focus on strength and stretching.

As Keebler says, good food and good detoxification are essential in treatment.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IckyTicky
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 21466

Icon 1 posted      Profile for IckyTicky     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How awesome that you caught it early. Man.. wish I had!

--------------------
IGM: 18+, 23+, 30+, 31+++, 34+, 39IND, 41++, 58+++, 66+, 83-93IND
IGG: 31+, 39IND, 41+
Also positive for Mycoplasma Pneumoniae and RMSF.
Whole family of 5 dx with Lyme.

Posts: 1014 | From Texas | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yankees237
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25791

i do feel very lucky. even my LLMD said i am very fortunate and he seemed like it would be no problem since i literally started antibiotics 48 hours after the initial tick bite(s) .

i read the exercise portion of the guidelines...basically light weight lifting for an hour is the what's recommended mostly?

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
But not every day. Other details here:

http://www.ilads.org/lyme_disease/B_guidelines_12_17_08.pdf

Advanced Topics in Lyme Disease (Diagnostic Hints and Treatment Guidelines for Lyme and Other Tick Borne Illnesses

Dr. Burrascano's Treatment Guidelines (2008) - 37 pages

------------
As important as any supplements, sections regarding self-care:

Go to page 27 for SUPPORTIVE THERAPY & the CERTAIN ABSOLUTE RULES

and also pages 31-32 for advice on a safe, non-aerobic exercise plan and physical rehabilitation.

----------------------
This is included in Burrascano's Guidelines, but you may want to be able to refer to it separately, too:

http://www.lymepa.org/Nutritional_Supplements.pdf

** Nutritional Supplements in Disseminated Lyme Disease **

J.J. Burrascano, Jr., MD (2008) - Four pages

===================

Important information about treatments options and support measures, supplements and self-care (including food).

http://tinyurl.com/6lq3pb (through Amazon)

THE LYME DISEASE SOLUTION (2008)

- by Kenneth B. Singleton , MD; James A. Duke. Ph.D. (Foreword)

You can read more about it here and see customer reviews.
-

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good luck, yankee! Sounds like you will be fine... just keep going for about 2 months (minimum) and you should be just great.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
t9im
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 25489

Icon 1 posted      Profile for t9im   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From what I've read Doxy doesn't hit Babesia but it does hit borrelia and some of the other TBD's.

3 wks of doxy is not enough (you could still miss the growh faze of the borrelia which is when the drug works), 6 wks is more like it if you catch it early.

I couldn't find bactrim in my list of drugs (a combo of Dr. B and summary chart from LD treatments).

You need to make sure your MD is a LLMD. Even an MD experienced in Lyme may not really know the ways to treat Lyme.

Of course if you catch it early enough you should be fine.

As for cost $600 sounds like the lyme pannel only. It may also be too soon so even if negative with the rash you do have the bb.

--------------------
Tim

Posts: 1111 | From Glastonbury, CT | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you are not taking something to prevent yeast I

would ask for either Nystatin or Diflucan.

If you don't have it already there is a chance you

could get it and no sense adding to your problems.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You should either treat for babesia or wait a couple months and test for that. babs dosent succumb to abx's alone it needs malaria meds.

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beachinit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21040

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beachinit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Taking 1000 mg/day of vitamin C helps decrease chance of
Bactrim DS reactions. I still need a day off bactrim every 2 wks or so or I feel persistently
woozy, lightheaded etc.
Bactrim has really helped me a lot, helps with
2 major co-infections (Bart and Babesia) and that
makes it a good segue or bridge antibiotic.

Good luck with it.

Beachinit

--------------------
Ideas not advice.

Posts: 448 | From Downeast Maine | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement