LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Krill Oil vs Fish Oil

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Krill Oil vs Fish Oil
canefan17
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was watching Dr Oz and they had Dr Mercola on there.

He says Krill Oil is > Fish Oil because it's animal based and has less mercury. Also because it's absorbed better.

What's everyone's opinion here on Krill Oil vs Fish Oil?

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steelbone
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14014

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steelbone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I personally like krill better

I use NOW krill oil

--------------------
All The Best,
Paul
[email protected]

The harder you work the luckier you get!

Posts: 965 | From Nebraska Cornhuskers fan in Massachusetts | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sickpuppy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23846

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sickpuppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take Marine Omega krill because I'm concerned about heavy metals.
Posts: 702 | From North Eastern USA | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
massman
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mercola is THE MAN !
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mass,

You like him? (sometimes I can't tell when you're being sarcastic haha)

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IckyTicky
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 21466

Icon 1 posted      Profile for IckyTicky     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like Dr Mercola, he is usually pretty spot on about things. I use fish oil, basically because the krill costs more and every penny counts in our sick family.

--------------------
IGM: 18+, 23+, 30+, 31+++, 34+, 39IND, 41++, 58+++, 66+, 83-93IND
IGG: 31+, 39IND, 41+
Also positive for Mycoplasma Pneumoniae and RMSF.
Whole family of 5 dx with Lyme.

Posts: 1014 | From Texas | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lemon-Lyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lemon-Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The absorption of omega 3s in krill oil may be better than fish oil, as can be seen by this study:

http://www.nutraingredients.com/Research/Krill-oil-safe-well-tolerated-and-effective-says-study

But it's not so much better as to justify the price, as the dose of omega 3s are much lower in krill. However, if concerned about contamination or oxidation, krill may be a better option. The esterified astaxanthin in krill may be the key difference -- if there is a true advantage to krill, I believe that may be it.

I suggest going with NKO krill, if one chooses krill, because all of the current human studies used that type. Superba krill is different (astaxanthin values differ, as well as form). We'll need head to head studies to tell if there is any difference in people.

Also keep in mind almost all Omega 3 studies used fish or fish oil, not krill.

Posts: 584 | From NY | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ninjaphire
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18234

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ninjaphire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For some reason, I'm strongly allergic to krill oil.

Not really allergic to shrimp or anything like that. Fish oil/Cod Liver Oil are just fine ...

Posts: 330 | From Colorado, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SForsgren
Member # 7686

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SForsgren         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For the most part, adults often need seed oils more than fish-based oils. I use the YES seed-based oils. Kids often need fish oils, but many adults do not.

--------------------
Be well,
Scott

Posts: 4617 | From San Jose, CA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
djf2005
Member # 11449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for djf2005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Honestly guys, the best oil pill based product is YES PEO's (YES parent essential oils)

Reasonable price @ around 40$ for 120 gel-caps and much better for you as it is free of any mercury (because it's not a fish or ocean based product)

http://www.naturalhealingtools.com/efas-parentessentialoils.aspx

--------------------
"Experience is not what happens to you; it is what you do with what happens to you."

[email protected]

Posts: 2269 | From Lansdowne, Pa | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Member # 22149

djf,

That does look like a good product

rks
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24316

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I'm not mistaken, I believe some Krill Oils also contains omega 6 & 9 too.

I read that you need to be careful about the omega 6 because the "American" diet is way too high with omega six.

From Dr. Weil's website:
Many nutrition experts believe that before we relied so heavily on processed foods, humans consumed omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids in roughly equal amounts. But to our great detriment, most North Americans and Europeans now get far too much of the omega-6s and not enough of the omega-3s.

This dietary imbalance may explain the rise of such diseases as asthma, coronary heart disease, many forms of cancer, autoimmunity and neurodegenerative diseases, all of which are believed to stem from inflammation in the body.

The imbalance between omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids may also contribute to obesity, depression, dyslexia, hyperactivity and even a tendency toward violence.

And:
http://www.veganpeace.com/nutrient_information/nutrient_info/omega_info.htm

Omega-6 fatty acids can be found in leafy vegetables, seeds, nuts, grains and vegetable oils (corn, safflower, soybean, cottonseed, sesame, sunflower). Most diets provide adequate amounts of omega-6.

Unless you eat a diet that is extremely low in fat, it is very easy to get more than enough omega-6. Supplementation of omega-6 is usually not necessary.

Also, just something to watch out for if taking Krill Oil:
http://altmedicine.about.com/od/herbsupplementguide/a/krilloil.htm

Possible Drug Interactions

People taking blood thinners (anticoagulant or anti-platelet medication), such as aspirin, warfarin (Coumadin), heparin, clopidogrel (Plavix), non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications (NSAIDS) such as ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil), naproxen (Naprosyn, Aleve) should only use krill oil under a physician's supervision.

Krill oil should also be used with caution by people taking herbs and supplements that are thought to increase the risk of bleeding, such as ginkgo biloba and garlic.

And, if allergic to shellfish, you shouldn't take it either.

With the recent gulf disaster the price is probably going to go way up on Krill also, but I guess that will apply to Fish oil as well.

Posts: 217 | From Earth | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Member # 22149

Does someone need a fish oil or krill oil supp if they are getting plenty of oils in the diet?

Coconut oil
Olive Oil
Primrose Oil
Walnuts
Cashews
Almonds

Why do I NEED a fish oil supp?

canefan17
Member # 22149

Does someone need a fish oil or krill oil supp if they are getting plenty of oils in the diet?

Coconut oil
Olive Oil
Primrose Oil
Walnuts
Cashews
Almonds

Why do I NEED a fish oil supp?

djf2005
Member # 11449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for djf2005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cane-

IMO you don't.

If you take the above listed oils regularly, or, you decide to get some YES PEOs, either way you are covering a lot.

The thinking behind getting enough of these products is making sure all the bodies' omega 3/6/etc needs are met as well as keeping inflammation down.

When my knees start to flare (which is often) I will take a YES cap and natto or lumbro w/ it and it usually greatly reduces the pain.

Good luck.

Derek

--------------------
"Experience is not what happens to you; it is what you do with what happens to you."

[email protected]

Posts: 2269 | From Lansdowne, Pa | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emla999/Lyme
Member # 12606

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emla999/Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking of the YES PEO's......

You can get an almost identical product from "Healthy for Life" for a cheaper price.

http://www.healthyforlifeusa.com/

http://www.healthyforlifeusa.com/Shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2

The label:

http://www.healthyforlifeusa.com/Images/omega-label.pdf

Posts: 1223 | From U.S.A | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement