LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Sexual transmission of spirochete report by Bach

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sexual transmission of spirochete report by Bach
Etta
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 1002

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Etta     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is for sjbeannie who brought up this subject a month or so ago. This is an abstract presented by Dr. Bach at the International Scientific Conference on Lyme Disease, April, 2001.

RECOVERY OF LYME SPIROCHETES BY PCR IN SEMEN SAMPLES OF PREVIOUSLY DIAGNOSED LYME DISEASE PATIENTS

Dr. Gregory Bach, Do.O.,P.C.
OBJECTIVE

Lyme disease, being a spirochete with pathology similar to syphilis, is often found difficult to treat due to the spirochete invading sanctuary sites and displaying pleomorphic characteristics such as a cyst (L-form). Because a significant portion of sexually active couples present to my office with Lyme disease, with only one partner having a history of tick exposure, the question of possible secondary (sexual)vector of transmission for the spirochete warrents inquiriy. Additionally, sexually active couples seem to have a marked propensity for antibiotic failure raising the question of sexually active couples re-infecting themselves through intimate contact.

METHODS:
Lyme spirochetes/DNA have been recovered from stored animal semen. Recovery of spirochete DNA from nursing mother's breast milk and unbilical cord blood by PCR (confirmed by culture/microscopy), have been found in samples provided to my office.

RESULTS:

Suprisingly, initial laboratory testing of semen samples provided by male Lyme patients (positive by western blot/PCR in blood) and the male sexual partner of a Lyme infected female patient were positive approximately 40% of the time. PCR recovery of Lyme DNA nucleotide sequences with microscopic confirmation of semen samples yielded positive results in 14/32 Lyme patients (13 male semen samples and 1 vaginal pap). ALL positive semen/vaginal samples in patients with known sexual partners resulted in positive Lyme titers/PCR in their sexual partners. 3/4 positive semen patients had no or unknown sexual partners to be tested. These preliminary findings warrent futher study. Current a statistical design study to evaluate the possibility of sexual transition of the spirochete is being undertaken. Our laboratory studies confirm the existence of Lyme spirochetes in semen/vaginal secretions. Whether or not further clinical studies with a larger statistical group will support the hypothesis of sexual transmission remains to be seen. A retrospective clinical study is also underway. We are reviewing the medical records, collecting semen samples of patients who were previously diagnosed with current and previously treated Lyme disease are bing asked to provide semen,pap and blood samples for extensive laboratory testing.

CONCLUSION;

With the initially impressive data, we feel the subsequent statistical sudy on the sexual transmission of the Lyme spirochete will illuminate a much broader sectrum of public health concerns associated with the disease than the originally accepted tick borne vector.

Posts: 157 | From Dallas, TX | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
heckyeah
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 603

Icon 1 posted      Profile for heckyeah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go Dr. Bach! I hope more information comes out about this in the future. Don't know if this will be much help however since people aren't being diagnosed for years... how do you take precautions with your spouse or significant other when you don't know you have something?? Maybe this will help the push for better testing. Also makes you wonder how often Lyme Disease helps AIDS patients die.

------------------

Jen

Posts: 1082 | From Upstate New York | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Etta
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 1002

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Etta     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Putting to the top for friends.
Posts: 157 | From Dallas, TX | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To the top...
Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 6 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very interesting article. Its a shame there isnt more information like this! Its also a shame that by now, there are so few effective and comfortable methods of birth control for couples to use.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PaintedRabbit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PaintedRabbit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is extremely interesting. I thank you for posting it.

I am wondering now. . . how soon does a mate get Lyme disease after it is passed. It is probably not as rapid in the partner as it was with the originally infected person. Just a thought.

We need more studies on this with more detail.

PaintedRabbit

------------------

Posts: 937 | From Seattle, Washington | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sjbeannie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 982

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sjbeannie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Etta! It's a really good article. Way to go Dr. Bach.

Cheers
Jeannie

Posts: 194 | From British Columbia | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krazykt1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3739

Icon 1 posted      Profile for krazykt1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very interesting. Can't wait to see results from the retrospective study underway..
Thanks for posting this!

Posts: 740 | From BC Canada | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2863

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Up
Posts: 8337 | From the other shore | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beverly
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 1271

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beverly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Up.
Posts: 6638 | From Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skimpbiz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4433

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skimpbiz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
that is the worst possible news.....I'm a single male, 27 years old....now any girl i would potentially date will need to know that prior to dating her, and what girl wants to risk getting a disease?

Not only am i stuck with lyme, but now i'm doomed to a life of loneliness!

Posts: 173 | From Lakeland, FL 33813 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Team Mom
Member # 4677

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Team Mom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If this is the case, and what if you haven't been diagnosed for years and married. Obviously, my hubby and I don't use protection and I was just diagnosed last year and didn't know a thing about this being sexually transmitted. Have I now given it to him? Should he be tested? I did read in one thread last week or so that it may be simular to transmitting AIDS whereas it is easier for the male to transmit than the female. But I don't know. Anyone out there have any ideas? I'm paniced!!
Posts: 54 | From N. Richland Hills, Tx, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemonhead
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6267

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemonhead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TeamMom, I have told my husband that he needs to get tested. Here's the dilemma, the doctors here that I went to said, "There's no Lyme in Texas, one did finally a titres test. Now knowing that, how do I get a doctor here to write a script or whatever you call it, for him to be tested. Do you think the doctor that diagnosed me would write the test request even though my husband is not my doctor's patient? Husband retires in 5 months. After 33 years of working the same job, I am not taking any chances, and I will make him get the test done. During that, not much is going in the bedroom, but I do have a question that may sound a bit silly, but is there possible spirochetes in saliva. Can we even have a wonderful kiss anymore, not just a peck on the lips. This might sound silly but I love kissing my husband, and I dont think they have invented safe kissing condoms. Sorry folks, tonight is my silly night, tomorrow I will probably crash into depression, but you got me on the funny end of it. Loretta
Posts: 156 | From Corpus Christi, Texas USA | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Team Mom
Member # 4677

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Team Mom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know either-I was hoping that perhaps TinCup or one of the more knowledgibles would read. Perhaps we need to bring up as new entry?

Well, sorry but I'm not giving up the bedroom thing. Especially the kissing. Forget it... I'm not letting all the fun go out just because of this disease-Nope ain't gonna do it.

Not sure of the doc thing either. My hubby and I have the same Dr. so we don't have a problem here with the exception of the lab-our insurance only covers Lab Corp or SmithKline and not IGX lab. So this would be out of pocket for us.

Posts: 54 | From N. Richland Hills, Tx, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James H
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6380

Icon 4 posted      Profile for James H     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any doctor who says there is no Lyme in Texas should take his head out of the sand and just check with the State health Department!

Their website not only acknowledgede Lyme as a serious health problem, it also admits other insects such as fleas may be spreading it.
http://www.tdh.state.tx.us/zoonosis/diseases/Lyme/lymepamp.asp

The medical profession can be so arrogant about their less than perfect knowledge!

Posts: 714 | From San Antonio TX | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymiecanuck
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a confusing issue, as I have been with my husband for 11 years and he is not sick. Now I think my son has it, but not sure, so hard to know.

But they tend to live long in his family and my family tend to go early with heart disease and cancer and there is rheumatic illness as well. So maybe my son and I were doomed from the begginning from genetics alone.

Lymiecanuck

once bitten
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It being in the semen does not mean that it is transmitted by sex. The ying yang has many powerful barriers to it, otherwise we would all be horribly sick and pregnant all of the time.

On the other hand, if it does prove to be transmissible by sex, maybe we will get some GD*(&(*)&%^%$$$$&^^(*&)(_!! effing treatment by infectious disease dox.

and for you people who think that you won't hook up, well look at all the gay men who have HIV and AIDS and are with someone.
Semen does NOT a relationship make.

Now some sperm jokes are in order...

treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My wife got it and we had sex hmmmmm?
Never bitten hmmmmmmm ?
Lyme cousin to syphilis hmmmmmmmm?
pleomorphisms hmmmmmmmmmm?
Cyst forms hmmmmmm?

Not a big leap for me.

[This message has been edited by treepatrol (edited 20 October 2004).]

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement