LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » When do we start need to consider IV treatment

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: When do we start need to consider IV treatment
feelbetter
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21957

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelbetter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been taking oral antibiotic plus some herb but only see little bit improvment.

Do we need to do the IV treatment if the oral does't help??

Posts: 158 | From pittsburgh | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanda
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 14107

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amanda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you conisdered bicillin or Rocephin shots?

According to Dr. B's guidelines, IV should be considered if

patient has been ill longer than one year
there is central nervous system involvement
prior use of immunosupressents (steriods)

that being said, there ARE those that get better on just orals. But if you are not getting any improvements after one year, I would personally want a change in treatment.

--------------------
"few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" - Mark Twain

Posts: 1008 | From US | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feelbetter
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21957

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelbetter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I want to know does insurance cover for the bicillin or rocephin shots?

How many shots a week??

Posts: 158 | From pittsburgh | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Need Lots of Help
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18603

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Need Lots of Help     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My BCBS insurance covered a portion of my bicillin, but then we had to change to Aetna and they did not cover any of the cost of the bicillin shots.
Posts: 893 | From Florida | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you are not with a good doctor, the oral antibiotics he is giving you could be too low dose, or not in combinations known to kill lyme.

You can't just take one med at a time.

Also, if the doc has not treated you for coinfections, your treatment may not be working.

So, there are many reasons why oral meds aren't working. It doesn't mean you need IV.

Generally, when orals don't work, it's because the doctor doesn't have you on a good combo.

If you want to tell us what you are taking and the dosages, we can tell you what Burracano says about it.

Or, you can look up your meds in Burrascano and see the dosages he recommends. The Burrascano guidelines are here:

http://www.ilads.org/lyme_disease/B_guidelines_12_17_08.pdf

Usually, you have to know the generic name of the medicine you are taking to find it in the Guidelines.

The doc is the key to getting rid of this disease. I cannot stress that enough. The doc is the key.

Find a doctor who has gotten rid of this disease for a number of people. That's the doc you want. Many doctors treat lyme disease, but not many know how to get rid of it for a person.

Contact lyme support groups (see Support Groups on left side of page) to find out who the successful doctors are. You can waste a lot of time treating with a doc who doesn't know enough. Many people make this mistake.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feelbetter
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21957

Im currently only taking 2000mg of amoxicillin.

And also Im pregnant now so I think my llmd try to give me the safest medication.

How do I know that I have co-infection or not,I have done the Igenex test for the bart and bab but back negative.

TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took 1,500 mg of amoxicillin 3 times per day for a total of 4,500 mg per day. Plus, I took probenicid with that. The probenicid keeps the amoxi in your blood stream longer. Otherwise, it is rapidly filtered out. You can read that in Burrascano:

"Because of its short half-life and need for high levels, amoxicillin is usually administered along with probenecid. An extended release formulation of amoxicillin+clavulanate (``Augmentin XR'') may also be considered if adequate trough levels are difficult to attain. An attractive alternative is benzathine penicillin (``Bicillin-LA''- see below). This is an intramuscular depot injection, and although doses are relatively small, the sustained blood and tissue levels are what make this preparation so effective." (page 14)

Notice the first sentence.

In addition, once I got to the doctor who cured me, he added flagyl to my treatment. That is when I got rid of my lyme disease. It was all oral medication.

The flagyl kills the lyme when it goes into cyst form to escape the amoxicillin. That's why you have to take different types of medications together. The lyme is smart and knows how to get away from just one medication.

So, sorry to say, your treatment is inadequate.

You can know you have a coinfection if you have the symptoms of the coinfections. Also, you can know by being treated for the coinfections and seeing if you have a reaction to the treatment.

Nearly everyone with lyme also has babesiosis and bartonella in my experience. So, you most likely have them also.

After I was treated for lyme, then my doctor treated me for bartonella and babesiosis.

Starting on page 25, Burrascano gives you the distinguishing symptoms for lyme and for each coinfection. Read through the list and see what you think:

http://www.ilads.org/lyme_disease/B_guidelines_12_17_08.pdf

The coinfection tests cannot be relied upon, just like the lyme tests. So, you usually have to treat for them and see how you react.

The coinfections are treated with totally different medications from the ones used for lyme. You won't get well until you treat the coinfections also. All of these diseases help one another to stay in our bodies. You have to get rid of them all to get well.

I really doubt you will notice any improvement on your current treatment. See if you can find a lyme doctor who knows how to treat a pregnant patient.

I had lyme, babesiosis, and bartonella for 10 years before finding out what was wrong with me. Now, it has been over 5 years since I completed my lyme treatment and I am still symptom free, enjoying my life. I have the same life I had before lyme disease.

That can be you too, but you have to get to a doc with a lot of expertise regarding lyme disease.

Wish you the best.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feelbetter
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21957

To TF:
What's your lyme symptom before??
Can u tell me which llmd do you see?

thanks

janet thomas
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7122

Icon 1 posted      Profile for janet thomas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
feelbetter-

I remember there were two excellent Lyme drs in your area but I don't remember their names.

If I did I would send you a PM (personal message-the little envelope symbol with two people holding hands) but we do not post doctors names here.

Two suggestions-

1-post in Seeking a Doctor for a lyme dr near Pittsburgh

2-go to support groups-I checked-there's one for Erie County and another in Pittsburgh

contact them for dr recommendations

Lyme and Babesia can be transmitted to the fetus.

I am ProChoice.

--------------------
I am not a doctor and this is not medical advice but only my personal experience and opinion.

Posts: 2001 | From NJ | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feelbetter
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21957

To Janet thomas:
Thanks,Im actually seeing one of the doctor that you mentioned near my area.

How about you? are you lyme free now?

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement