LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Weakness in legs

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Weakness in legs
JunkYardWily
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24271

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JunkYardWily     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
occasionally i am experiencing weakness in my legs. im not tripping or having trouble walking its just that when going up stairs my legs seem weak and tired. anyone with an explanation of this?

i know i could be just paranoid but im terrified of als and wonder if there is any chance this could be a symptom of this. i have been sick for 10 months and had my bite 11 months ago. this is the first noticeable weakness ive had. my llmd said i showed not signs of it.

thanks for any input

--------------------
sick since 9-09
igg, 18,23,41 reactive
igm, 41 reactive

Posts: 436 | From Kansas City | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
average joe
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for average joe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had the same thing to the point where I thought I was going to take a header down the stairs.

Never did but thought sure I would. Going up the stairs was a trick too.

My wife would often push up the steps when we were going to bed because she thought I was moving too slowly lol. Nahh she really did it to help me up because she could tell it was a struggle.

I had every test under the sun and nothing could explain this to the docs.

Thankfully, after just a few weeks of treatment by my LLMD, that sensation got much better. It's still not gone but tolerable. Don't know how or why but I'll take it.

When the worst of my symptoms first hit and for a couple of months until I got in to see the llmd, there were some days where it was very difficult for me just to walk across the room or stand for more than 10 minutes or so.

I was on doxycycline for the first part of my treatment and by all accounts a somewhat low dose but it definately helped.

I hope this will help ease your mind some

Not a doc here and this is by no means any medical advice, just relaying how it went for me.

--------------------
If you play at the beach, expect to get some sand in your shorts [Smile]

Posts: 223 | From central pa | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YES, it was a huge problem for me and continues to be so, but less than before. It was horrid when I first fell ill.
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JunkYardWily
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24271

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JunkYardWily     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my weakness is back again and seems to be more common. it use to be a day or so of it then it would go away for a while now my leg weakness is almost every day.

most my other symptoms have been improving yet this weakness seems to be becomming more of an issue. why would this symptom be getting worse?

--------------------
sick since 9-09
igg, 18,23,41 reactive
igm, 41 reactive

Posts: 436 | From Kansas City | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MamaBear11
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25116

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MamaBear11   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have the same problem, only since I have just started treatment I don't have any suggestions to offer.

My leg weakness has nearly left me couch-ridden. With two small kids this is a real problem!

I will be interested to follow this thread to see if others have any suggestions for us.

--------------------
Untreated Lyme for 25+ years.
Two kids, too much pain & fatigue, no hope of ever being able to treat.

Posts: 310 | From Northeast | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TN Kim
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26729

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TN Kim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YES, this is one of my most concerning symptoms! At one point, during my first herx

when beginning treatment, I walked with a staggered, stumbling gait as if I DID have MS!

THAT WAS SCARY! Still when I am herxing or just having a bad "spell", I get the weakness. In

fact, I had that all day yesterday as well! We just bought a new home back in December with stairs

and now I'm sick with Lyme and so afraid I will have to eventually move downstairs! [Frown]

--------------------
Bite 4/22/12
abx 5/03/12
neg. Lyme
pos. Cpn 5/17/12

Bite 5/22/10
abx 6/25/10

IgM � Igenex Positive & CDC/NYS Positive with 18+ ; 23-25+; 31+; 34+; 41+; 66+; 83-93 (IND)

IgG � Igenex Positive; CDC/NYS Negative with 31+; 39 (IND); 41++; 58+

Posts: 339 | From Tennessee | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JunkYardWily
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24271

if it gets worse with herxing than maybe that is the cause. like you said kim im more worried about other causes like MS or ALS. spacificly als since i believe lyme treatment can be affective against MS.

--------------------
sick since 9-09
igg, 18,23,41 reactive
igm, 41 reactive

DaveNJ
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17362

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DaveNJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i am having been treating for 2 years and while i am 100% guessing but i think the nature of this ailment is toxins...if you have chance to sit in a sauna you will usually find that sweating puts a spring in your step...and even though you don't feel like walking it has been my experience that moving makes it better.

all that anecodtal evidence points to toxins.

Just my 2 cents

Dave

--------------------
On my journey to wellness - One day at a time.

Posts: 989 | From NJ | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kerryblue
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kerryblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, Yes 1 of my 1st signs was balance. Later weakness in legs terrible trying to take shower because hate to sit on chair in shower. Fallen more times care to count do to weakness when in leg flare. Have to use cane. UGH real pain.
It is not constant but does get bad some days.
Not sure what else to say but I am sorry....
Huggggsss,To all in need!!!Kerry

Posts: 746 | From Clearwater/fl/Pinellas | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sammi
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sammi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have severe muscle weakness from Babesiosis. Do you have Babesiosis?
Posts: 4681 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JunkYardWily
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24271

i dont know if i have babesiosis but i dont think that i do. i have showed no symptoms of it and ive been sick since sept and this is the first time the leg weakness has become much of a problem.

dave, my LLMD says its a herx/toxins as well. my question is why would i be experiencing this now 10 months into treatment as im stating to feel better on longer stints?

--------------------
sick since 9-09
igg, 18,23,41 reactive
igm, 41 reactive

txgirl09
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21612

Icon 1 posted      Profile for txgirl09     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
babs can cause muscle weakness.

Lately I've had a lot of leg muscle weakness as well. Like you, I'm terrifed of als.

Posts: 490 | From TX- Go Cowboys! | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sammi
Member # 110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sammi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
JunkYardWily, sometimes as symptoms from one infection decrease symptoms from other ones increase.

Adrenal fatigue can also cause weakness, so you may want to have this checked.

Posts: 4681 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlebit27
Member # 24477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for littlebit27   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have leg weakness too, along with weakness in other muscles. I just chalk it up to this lovely Lyme affecting me more and more each day.

I'm not treating right now (new LLMD tomorrow, so hopefully will start again soon) but I did treat for almost 3 months. This symptoms has come and gone.

Stairs are the worst for me. We work in a place where sometimes we have to walk up concrete stairs and it's horrible. I feel like I'm just going to fall backwards.

It was also one of my first symptoms that appeared when my avalanche came. I don't know what co-s I have but I suspect Babs and Bart.

--------------------
*Brittany Lyme Aware on FB*
http://littlebithaslyme.wordpress.com/

Posts: 2310 | From Southeast | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JunkYardWily
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24271

when i say weakness i mean more fatigue. i can still walk fine and dont trip but it just feels like i just got done running a marathon.

is that similar to what you guys have felt or is it more of lack of function in the legs?

--------------------
sick since 9-09
igg, 18,23,41 reactive
igm, 41 reactive

DaveNJ
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17362

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DaveNJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
JunkYard,

from what i have been told the longer we treat the less we lose the abilty to detox...or at least that it is impaired...your body has only enough energy to go around to fight the infection and to detox....this is bigger problem for me now 2 years in than it was a year ago.

Keep the faith,
Dave

--------------------
On my journey to wellness - One day at a time.

Posts: 989 | From NJ | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MamaBear11
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25116

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MamaBear11   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Junkyard, my leg weakness and pain feels similar to yours I think. I have always described it as the feeling you get deep in your muscles when you are working out and you just...can't...do...one...more...rep. That awful burning feeling.

That's what my legs feel like, especially when climbing stairs or getting up from a chair.

--------------------
Untreated Lyme for 25+ years.
Two kids, too much pain & fatigue, no hope of ever being able to treat.

Posts: 310 | From Northeast | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sammi
Member # 110

JunkYardWily, that is how it feels. You can really feel it when going up stairs.

For me, it is also hard to stand in one place without moving for any length of time. This gets better with Babesiosis treatment.

JunkYardWily
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24271

i know its bad to say this but im glad other people have experienced this symptom. gives me some peace of mind, and im sure a lot of u can understand how important that is when dealing with lyme...

--------------------
sick since 9-09
igg, 18,23,41 reactive
igm, 41 reactive

randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
when i was first diagnosed i felt so weak i could barely walk.

my husband bought me exercise equipment and i started using it. although i can only usually do 10 minutes a day i'm hoping to work up to 30.

it helps me a lot although sometimes i get off and my legs are shaking and jerking but i do feel better.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement