LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » doxy and flagyl dont mix

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: doxy and flagyl dont mix
Trude
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2023

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Trude     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi I see some of you are taking doxy and flagyl. I am under Dr B and if you are taking flagyl you must take something like amoxicillan as doxy and flagyl interact and they work against each other. I was on doxy for 12months then Dr b took me off it so I could start the flagyl.
I take 1200mg of flagyl and 3000mg of amoxicillan
Trudie

Posts: 107 | From Devon, England | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trude
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2023

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Trude     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shame you cant get your doc to change you to amoxicillan, easier on the stomach and you can go in the sun then, which I find really makes a difference to how you feel.
Trude

Posts: 107 | From Devon, England | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oliver
Member # 20082

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oliver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
True, I agree, the sun is definitely good for us.
Posts: 1 | From long island | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dayle Ann
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 1657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dayle Ann     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cancel each other out in what way? Can you provide more information?

I'm on doxy and pulsing flagyl 3 days a week, and by the third day I kinda have my doubts about them cancelling each other out. I herx. Something is working.

So I am wondering if there is something else at issue here. Maybe timing?

My LLMD offered to put me on amoxicillin for the summer, but gave me the choice to stay on doxy. I chose that for two reasons: so I could start flagyl now instead of waiting a month (to see how I did on the amoxy), and because I wanted to be on abx that is known to penetrate the blood/brain barrier (amoxicillin doesn't, or just barely). And I need that.

I am inclined to think that if there had been a problem with "cancelling out", he would have been aware of it. Or is this so new that three weeks ago he wouldn't have been aware of it?

So.... what are the details on this?

Dayle Ann

Posts: 441 | From USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
primcol
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for primcol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frankly I dont think flagyl and flagyl can
be mixed. The stuff is hard to handle.

Posts: 934 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dayle Ann
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 1657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dayle Ann     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL-- I know you meant to say doxy and flagyl, primcol, but it tickled me anyway. I recognize another of those infamous "Lyme moments"!

The funny thing for me about taking Flagyl is that although one of the side effects can be loss of appetite, exactly the opposite happens with me! And it is not related to stomach upset either. I EAT. Some days I eat five or six full meals, and snack too. So far, I am handling the flagyl ok. Pulsing probably helps. And I can't beleive how much better I am doing.

I really would like to know what the rationale is. My LLMD did explain that amoxicillin and doxy work in different ways: that doxy works on the cell wall, while amoxicillin enters the cell itself. I am conjecturing that perhaps, since flagyl is breaking down the cyst, which is an encapsulated cell wall, perhaps the idea is that doxy is at a disadvantage relative to amoxicillin.

I guess my response would be that it must also depend on the situation. The question I had-- and the one that influenced my decision-- is, What good does it do to break down cysts in the brain if the antibiotic isn't there to get at the spirochete?

Since my biggest symptoms are CNS related, it seems logical to focus on what will work on them bugs in there. But it is an interesting question, and I will ask my LLMD when I see him next. In the meantime, I'll stick with my doxy/flagyl/allicin combo.

But still would appreciate it if anyone could come up with the actual reason for this thinking, and what it is based on (conjecture based on known factors about the abx, lab studies, or clinical experience).

Dayle Ann

------------------
I'm still as smart as I ever was-- just not all at once!

Posts: 441 | From USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kira
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2676

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kira     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi DayleAnn and others,

I think I too have the same questions and concerns. I just started a doxy/flagyl combination hopefully with high enough dosage to get thru the BBB(Doxy 200mg 2x a day and Flagly 500mg 3x/day)...and it makes me quite sick feeing...sometimes feel MORE sick than I started out (and it's not from herxing)

So, I'd rather not feel this sick if the two meds are just cancleing each other out and not doing me any good!!

My LLMD warned me I may finally start herxing once I start the flagyl...and I was all geared up for it...but still nothing...So am I just a person who doesn't herx or is there something to these 2 meds cancling each other out????...and if so, why doesn't my LLMD know about this...she says she's constantly going to conferences on Lyme...

How did Dr. B (mentioned above)come to learn this piece of info...is there a source I can direct my LLMD to???

Any info to help clear all this confusion up would be helpful...Confusion about if I am doing the right thing or not stresses me out BIG TIME!!

Thanks,
Kira

Posts: 802 | From Chicago suburbs, Illinois | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
primcol
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for primcol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was being sarcastic about mixing flagyl with flagyl...I just ment to say that I can not
tolerated the stuff...but come to think of
it I was always on tetracycline when I tried
flagyl....what happens to you when you mix
flagyl with doxy"

[This message has been edited by primcol (edited 15 July 2002).]

Posts: 934 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dayle Ann
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 1657

Oops, sorry, primcol-- if it had been me it would have been a brain glitch!

I AM herxing on doxy and flagyl. I'm not concerned about it, but I am really curious about what the reasoning is supposed to be here.

Kira, it is possible to feel really sick on abx, sicker than when you were sick, if that makes sense. Not everyone reacts that way, but some do.

That's why I'm glad the doc is having me pulse the flagyl. Three days out of the week is enough right now. After 14 years I've probably got cysts tucked in all over the place! Don't want to break too many of them all at once-- I imagine that would be one heck of a herx!

Dayle Ann

Scrambled_brain
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3071

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Scrambled_brain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I brought this old post back up wondering if there is now any consensus on this issue. Should we be taking flagyl with doxy ?
Posts: 375 | From Southeast | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bd
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3426

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bd   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doxy and Flagyl CAN be used together. Chemical studies showed some cancelation, but when tested together on H-Pylori the combo was effective and did not cancel out.

I think if you search antibiotic combos for h-pylori you should find studies on double nad tripple antibiotics comparing there effectiveness.

You know about H-pylori? It is a spirochete that takes sometimes years of up to 4 antibiotics at a time.

We are lucky to have something that is easy to cure with 30, or was that 20, now its 10, or maybe even 1 day of antibiotics! (Unless of course you are a dog, they have treated them for years then biopsies still found spirochetes in about 80% of samples).

Posts: 505 | From Western NY | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beverly
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 1271

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beverly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Up.
Posts: 6638 | From Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement