LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Anyone have multi purpose supplements??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone have multi purpose supplements??
average joe
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for average joe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This may be a dumb question but does anyone know of any supplement say variety packs that are geared toward lyme & co?

I have been looking at recommendations from dr B and others. At this point I can't keep them all straight. I need to get started on some of this stuff but don't know what to go after first and which of these things is safe.

I have been on amox for about a week and a half now with little effect. This is after a 5 or 6 week stint of doxy. As soon as the doxy went away symptoms came back.

My dosages are kinda low according to current protocol 2000mg amox even though my doc is llmd.

When I called the office to say I didn't think the amox was really doing anything they said to either go back on doxy or add z-max to the amox.

I upped the amox dose to 3000mg daily and thinking about doing at least 4000mg. I also started 500mg daily of the z-max. Also in the mix currently is probiotic containing adidolphilus and bifidus with a couple of others

First and foremost it looks like I need a cyst buster as well so I am thinking grapefruit seed extract. recommended by one of your finest on here. this make sense and is easy enough but I get lost after this.

Cats claw
artesimin
teasel
vit b
magnesium
kefir

and so on and so on..... you folks on here know the deal.

I have a local GNC. do these stores carry most of what I need to get started??

Any help or random thoughts on any of the above would be geatly appreciated.

--------------------
If you play at the beach, expect to get some sand in your shorts [Smile]

Posts: 223 | From central pa | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cats claw
artesimin
teasel
vit b
magnesium
kefir

++++++++++

Are these the items you are considering, or taking??

As far as "lyme paks" go... there may be some I don't know about. Maybe try Googling "Lyme disease supplements."

Tell us what you find!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OmegaBrite and your abx.

We know from Romanian docs it it important to tame down inflammation dramatically AND hit Bb simultaneously.

IMO. Personally, I'd follow suggested dosing i.e., 3 capsules per day and for complicated reasons...morning maybe best. Take also with something "fatty"...simply BUTTERED whole wheat cinnamon raisin toast at breakfast.

For many reasons...cinnamon is very very good too.

P.S. PROBIOTICS ALWAYS.

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeorsomething
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 16359

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeorsomething     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking of inflammation, new research from Yale (mostly in regards to chemo but still interesting):

http://opa.yale.edu/news/article.aspx?id=7691

--------------------
"Whatever can go wrong will go wrong."

Posts: 2062 | From CT | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Turmeric is also good for inflammation.

My question for you is, did you get worse when you stopped the doxy or when you started the amoxy? It is common to herx when you start a new med, so it could be a herx from the amoxy that is making you feel bad. I felt bad on it every time I increased the dosage.

And, the zith made me feel truly horrible. Ended up I had to take Biaxin.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Kefir - and probiotics - should be taken hours away from both Rx and from herbs (as many herbs have an antimicrobial nature that can destroy probiotics).
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
average joe
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for average joe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like I have some questions to answer. I had given up on this post after following it for like 8 or 9 hours yesterday without a reply [sleepy] lol.

Let's see: As far as your question Lymetoo, I have not taken any of these at all yet. I really don't know where to begin. By all accounts I do need a cyst buster though regardless. Hey maybe we can get somethin goin with the multi purpose lyme paks! what do ya say lymetoo ??? .

Marnie, I never heard of omegabrite but will look into it. I don't mean to sound completely ignorant but what does the IMO mean at the very beginning of your 3rd sentence?

Sixgoofykids, Once I stopped the doxy it seemed like everything slid backwards. Now keep in mind that I started on the amox almost right away after stopping the other. I was waiting for and actually hoping for the amox herxes so I would know it was working but nuttin came of it. Doc told me to expect it tween days 4 and 7 but they came and went and again nuttin. In retrospect maybe I should have waited like a week or so between stopping one and starting the other. Btw, I did start taking the z-max yesterday. I still am confused though why my LLMD has me on low doses of everything. It makes me think we are just sending the critters into hiding rather than kill em

Keebler, thanks for that bit of info with the timing. How in the world do you folks do this with taking so much different stuff hours away from each other. It would seem to me some would run out of hours [bonk]

So bottom line is I am looking for info on what natural stuff works and what is hooey. Any one out there have cliff notes on this? Oops,I think I just showed my age there lol.

--------------------

Posts: 223 | From central pa | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
average joe
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26091

Oh wait I get the IMO.... Nevermind that question Marnie. Wow too bad I can't retract that. lol

--------------------

LymeMom Kellye
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24807

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LymeMom Kellye   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Jo, I buy most of our supplements at iherb.com. They are alot cheaper than GNC or Super Supplements.

I would suggest that you buy 2 large pill organizers. They need to have 4 large slots/box's for every day.

This is what we do:

One day a week, fill them. We have one box for the AM and one for the PM meds.

Box #1: Biolfilm busters: Nattokinaise and Bolouke, NAC and Pro-Immune

Wait 30 minutes then go to box #2: Take all antibiotics with food to protect your stomach. Food should also have fat.

Wait 2 hours and go to box #3 and take probiotics and other supplements.

Wait another hour and then take chlorella or activiated charcoal.

We start the first box around 7AM and finish around 11. We start the 2nd box around 6PM and finish around 10.

If we didn't have the pill holders, we would go nuts and wouldn't be protocol compliant. As far as your meds go, find a doctor that you trust, who is ILADS trained and follow the protocol. Trying to 2nd guess and change things up will drive one nuts...

And of course, I am not a medical professional, just a Lyme Mom and Wife.

Good health to you.

[ 08-22-2010, 09:35 PM: Message edited by: LymeMom Kellye ]

Posts: 333 | From Lyme Here Too | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
marypart
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27012

Icon 1 posted      Profile for marypart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LymeMom-- that is just brilliant.

Okay, how about the anti-fungals like Nystatin. When would you take that?

-Mary

--------------------
Son, 26, Dx Lyme 4/10, Babs 8/10
Had serious arthritis, all gone.
Currently on Valtrex
Daughter, 26,bullseye 7/11
arthritis in knees, cured and off all meds. .
Self:Lyme, bart, sxs gone, no longer treating.

Posts: 496 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by average joe:

Marnie, I never heard of omegabrite but will look into it.

Here is some info about Omegabrite.
http://www.omegabrite.com/why/effects.html

This formulation has a higher ratio of EPA, which reduces inflammation.

Taking supplemental magnesium will reduce inflammation too.
Lyme Disease causes inflammation throughout the body when the immune system responds to the infection.
This causes some of your symptoms.

If you would like to edit your previous posts, click on the pencil icon next to the date.

Carol

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by average joe:
[QB] Oh wait I get the IMO.... Nevermind that question Marnie. Wow too bad I can't retract that. lol

You can!!

Presenting the Edit button!!! Go up there next to the date. Look for the icon with the pencil and pad. Click on it and when you open that up you can delete whatever you want to!

Isn't that cool??!! [Razz]

Hey! I'm IN on the Lyme paks deal. We'll patent the idea!! Don't tell anyone. We wouldn't want them to steal our idea!!

Just saw that Carol introduced you to the icon for editing. That's what I get for not reading all the replies before posting. Now I have to do some editing so I don't look so stupid!! [bonk]

avg joe.. Yes, you DO run out of hours when you have to juggle all the meds and supps!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Back to these:

Cats claw
artesimin
teasel
vit b
magnesium
kefir

my reviews:

cat's claw .. tried it; overrated

artemisinin .. Great with zith for knocking out babs!!

teasel .. tried it; overrated

vitamin b .. good for yeast issues

magnesium .. essential!!

kefir .. homemade is best. Store bought contains a lot of sugar

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

LymeMom Kellye
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24807

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LymeMom Kellye   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My daughter takes her diflucan with the probiotics and other supps. It's not ideal, but given that she is only awake 11-12 hours per day, it's what she has to do.

On the other hand, my dh takes his nystatin 2 hours after his charcoal, chlorella.

Posts: 333 | From Lyme Here Too | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
average joe
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26091

Thanks for all the replies. Kellye the organizers seem like a good way to go and Lymetoo you had me rollin. I needed that.

My doc is an llmd and does follow ilads but does not have me on a Burrascano protocol per say.
Now at the risk of starting a firestorm, is Dr B's protocol the only thing that works or have others gotten rid of this by other methods/protocols?

My doc may well have a glorious master plan but again my only concern is the low doses. I am impatient with this kind of thing I will admit....often thinking we need to hit this stuff and hit it hard.

The fact that I really did not herx on the amox makes me by nature question the effectiveness/dosage. I did check with the doc on this and he told me to either go back on doxy or add the zith to the amox.

I personally think the doxy did more but for now I just added the zith. according to TF in another post my docs approach makes sense. That is not a direct quote just my interpretation.

When one refers to a biofilm buster, is that the same thing as a cyst buster?

--------------------

sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For herbs to go after the Lyme, I'd look at Buhner's book Healing Lyme. He is an herbalist and has a lot of good info there.

I liked the combination - cat's claw (samento), banderol, andrographis, and resveratrol.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Many people get well without following Dr B's guidelines to a "T." You can too. But if you're not improving after a few months.. maybe give it at least 6 mo to see....then start pushing your LLMD or change Drs.

Glad I made you laugh! Let me know when you get that patent! [Cool]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement