LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Help for bowel problems

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Help for bowel problems
j_liz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20496

Icon 5 posted      Profile for j_liz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have ulcerative colitis (I believe from the Lyme) and do well with meds. I have never had a serious flare and haven't had even a mild flare for some time, but I do now.

I didn't know where else I could get suggestions for possible natural treatments. So, I am asking here if anybody knows of any.

I have heard taking olive oil may help. Also, Archway macaroons (what a wonderful remedy), but I can't find them anywhere. So, I guess coconut oil, but how can I take that other than by itself?

I could call and talk to my gastro, I am sure he would increase my med, but I don't want to go that route.

Funny thing is it may have started with rifing. Maybe someone can help me figure that out. That is when I had my 1st loose bm. I haven't rifed regularly, so it's not why it is continuing.

liz

Posts: 471 | From NJ | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mojo
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mojo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you tried large doses of probiotics? That always helps me.
Posts: 1761 | From USA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeinhell
Member # 4622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeinhell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SuperCritical Omega 7
made by New Chapter

Made from Sea buckthorne
Rebuilds the lining of the gi system and mucous membranes

Vitamin Shoppe stocks it online and in the stores

Take 2 about 20 minutes before each meal for a couple of days. Then when things normalize, taper down to 1 before dinner daily.

http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/en/browse/sku_detail.jsp?id=CN-7141

The best $20 you ever spent

--------------------
Julie
_ _ ___ _ _
lymeinhell

Blessed are those who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed.

Posts: 2258 | From a better place than I was 11 yrs ago | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glm1111
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 16556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glm1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You could have stirred up some parasite activity when you rifed. Do a search on here under parasites because it can be and most probably is one of the co-infections that needs to be dealt with.

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW
RECOGNIZED AS THE NUMBER 1 CO-INFECTION IN LYME DISEASE BY ILADS*

Posts: 6418 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
j_liz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for j_liz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Julie and Gael.

Julie, does that have blood thinning properties, like EPA? If so, I am going to have to clear it with my LLMD.

I am already on at least 3 things that thin the blood and I have petechiae (which may be unrelated). I do have a blood clotting disorder, so maybe it doesn't matter? My LLMD did check my platelets and they were ok, and my derm said since they were she wouldn't worry about it.

I think the rife thing was a mis-memory. I think things actually started just before I started rifing, but because I had diarrhea after 3 out of 7 sessions I concluded those reactions were from rifing.

So, I still believe the flare was on it's way, but rifing did something (hopefully good). I am way over due for rifing and I think I will get to it right now.

Posts: 471 | From NJ | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeinhell
Member # 4622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeinhell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.newchapter.com/products/sc-omega-7

You should check the ingredients with your LLMD - I really can't answer that question.

--------------------
Julie
_ _ ___ _ _
lymeinhell

Blessed are those who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed.

Posts: 2258 | From a better place than I was 11 yrs ago | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
j_liz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for j_liz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the link. I am making a copy of the web page to take to my next appt.
sammy
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you taking LDN and VSL#3? If not, ask your doctor for these things. Read and print out the information to take to your doctor visit.

http://www.lowdosenaltrexone.org/

http://www.vsl3.com/

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
j_liz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20496

Hi sammy,

I tried LDN and I quit after having insomnia for several mos. I never heard of VSL3, so just looked it up.

Why would you need to take it under a dr's supervision? (Reminds me of the commercial where a pharm. co. is selling probiotics. Makes you wonder what they did to it to get it patented).

Did you see how expensive it is! What is silicon dioxide?

Do you have any experience with it?

Sorry for all the questions, I hope you don't mind answering them.

I take a probiotic I get from my LLMD that has 16 different probiotic strains in it, but not nearly as many viable cells (20 billion). Maybe I should try taking more, it's just that it makes my gut gripey.

sammy
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you try lowering the dose of the LDN? Some people cannot tolerate it but I thought it might be worth mentioning.

Your insurance may cover an RX of VSL#3 DS (that's double strength 900billion per pouch!). I have used it and think that it is the best probiotic available. I take 2 capsules daily (225billion) before bed, one bottle lasts a month for $50. I order directly from the site, free shipping.

If your current probiotic only has 20billion per dose you would have to take 11-12 doses to get the same amount as one dose of VSL#3. So you are getting more for your money by using VSL#3.

The safety and effectiveness of VSL#3 has been backed by clinical research. That's another big reason why I like it and trust it so much.

When you start any higher dose probiotic you may have gas, bloating, and stomach discomfort for a few days until your body adjusts. Start with smaller amounts and gradually work up to the full dose.

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Member # 13952

Silicone dioxide is used in foods, supplements, and medicines to prevent caking and keep the product dry. It is supposedly found naturally in our water and soil.
D Bergy
Member # 9984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for D Bergy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only thing that totally eliminated my Crohn's flare was MMS (Miracle Mineral Solution).

However, it is not a natural treatment, but a chemical treatment using acidified Chlorine Dioxide to kill Acidic pathogens.

It also will kill some Lyme bacteria, which makes it rough for anyone with Lyme to tolerate.

I do not have Lyme, and I had no problems with the treatment other than the expected Diarrhea that was present until the bacteria was removed.

There also is an FDA warning advising that no one use it for any reason. However, I still use it on occasion. The last time I used it for food poisoning.

I do not promote its use or discourage anyone from using it. It worked for me, when nothing else would. Others have had problems when using it, and most of these people had Lyme.

Use your own judgment, but it will always be part of my own Crohn's treatment. My main treatment is LDN, which hopefully will limit my need for MMS.

Dan

Posts: 2919 | From Minnesota | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are reports of GERD being cured by Manuka honey. Stranger things have happened...

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
j_liz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20496

Thurs. is my LLMD appt. and I have the info for the Omega 7 and VSL printed.

Lymeinhell, do you use this sup for UC?

Sammy, I was started on a low dose. Somebody in my UC group just posted today that they are taking the VSL for their UC.

For financial reasons I'd much rather take the Omega 7 than the VSL. However, being on abx the VSL would probably be best. I am going to leave it up to my LLMD.

D, I saw the warning, scary!

Thanks again, everybody.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement