LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » son w/lyme w/amantadine

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: son w/lyme w/amantadine
frikfrak
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26844

Icon 1 posted      Profile for frikfrak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi

I've posted before..my son (20) has lyme badly, only mentally, no physical. Anyway seeing new doc and my son is currently on doxy IV (400mg) daily for about 2 months now and doc just added Amantadine 2x daily on last visit. My son is no better but still laughing, even more so now. Doc thinks its the new med, laughing possibly a herx. Anyone ever take Amantadine? I believe its supposed to open up the cells so the doxy works better. Shouldn't I see ANY signs that the doxy is working, my son doesn't seem to be getting any better at all. Not going to lie, losing hope. He's only gotten worse since diagnosed back in Dec. '09. I wish he would at least start talking then at least we'd know how he feels. OK, nothing really else to say...same.
thanks for listening

Posts: 158 | From NJ | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bcb1200
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 25745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bcb1200     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amantadine raises cellular PH so make Macrolide drugs, specifically Biaxin and Zithromax, work better. It has no impact with doxy and doesn't do anything specifically to lyme (it is actually an antiviral used for flu.) All it does is make the Biaxin work better.

Dr B's guidelines state you should use Amantadine or Plaquenil when using Biaxin of Zith.

I took it for 12 weeks with 1000mg of Biaxin. It makes you feel a bit sleepy the first 3-4 days, but then is fine.

--------------------
Bite date ?
2/10 symptoms began
5/10 dx'd, after 3 months numerous test and doctors

IgM Igenex +/CDC +
+ 23/25, 30, 31, 34, 41, 83/93

Currently on:

Currently at around 95% +/- most days.

Posts: 3134 | From Massachusetts | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
frikfrak
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26844

Icon 1 posted      Profile for frikfrak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

thanks...my son though is only on Doxy, nothing else. I assume the doc knows what he's doing..go again in 11 days. Maybe the doc will add Biaxin or Zithromax then, we'll see.

Posts: 158 | From NJ | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
2roads
Member # 4409

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2roads     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Being from NJ and being more mental then physical, I would favor bart over lyme.

Perhaps adding Levaquin or Rifampin might get him on his way.

Hugs

Posts: 2214 | From West Chester, PA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It also helps with muscle spasms - is given to people with parkinson's disease.

I started taking it along with zithro and bactrim ds. I am herxing more so I guess it is doing something.

If you have seen no improvement in nearly a year, maybe it is time to switch doctors and get a new protocol.

I don't know why the LLMD would not try something different. Not all LLMD's are equal, that is for sure. If you go to the seeking a doctor forum you can get some great recommendations with input from patients. Your son needs to see the best and if you find out he is already in the hands of one of the best, then you know you are doing everything you can.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tick battler
Member # 21113

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tick battler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree - time to get a second opinion. My husband went to 5 LLMD's before we found a good one who would diagnose coinfections.

I also agree it sounds more like bart if the symptoms are mostly psych...Dr. B says something about this in his guidelines I think.

Doxy will not hit bart in many cases. I agree that a trial of Levaquin would be a good idea.

tickbattler

Posts: 1763 | From Malvern, PA | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoot
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19281

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I work at a doctor's office that does biomedical treatments for kids with autism. Many times when the kids are giggly, waking at night, having rashes, etc. they are yeasty. Maybe you need to do a good antifungal treatment. There are many herb blends you can buy that help with that. Ask the doc and make sure you can combine the herbs with the meds he is on.
Posts: 236 | From Illinois | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dr. B says when neurological symptoms outweigh the physcal symptoms, suspect bartonella. Your son sounds like classic bart.

Look at his skin for changes like pea size brown spots, loss of pigementation, tiny blood blisters,spider veins, "stretch marks" or any other odd changes. Does he have any unusual swelling anywhere on his body? It appears to be edema but it will not leave a dent when you press it. Check his chin bones for lumps. Feel for nodules in his outer thighs and arms.

We have to be proactive. You can't rely on any doctor to know your son better than you do. A year with no change is not good.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement