LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Seeking a Doctor » * Need Doctor near Corvallis, Oregon

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: * Need Doctor near Corvallis, Oregon
mrsrp
Member # 23710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mrsrp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a 15 year old son who's had various symptoms for 7 months, starting in May.

He's recently gone through a growth spurt from 6'2" to 6'5" in the last year.

Symptoms:

1) When he stands up and walks around the house, he develops large red blotches on his feet and legs.

They look like sunburns. They are not raised, or blistered. He describes the pain as feeling like hot burning needles being poked into him.

The redness and pain goes away after he sits down.

2) His face can become bright red and flushed with the same pain even while just sitting watching TV.

These flushes can come and go without an hour.

3) He's had some tingling in his hands recently.

4) Now, he tells me his vision is being affected. He describes it as "grainy vision", with dark dots swirling all around.

These symptoms are increasing and spreading.

We've been to three dermatologists. First they thought it was hives, but antihistamines didn't help.

One thought it might be related to erythromelalgia, while another disagreed, thinking it might be something related to vasomotor instability, due to his recent huge growth spurt.

Everyone's doing tests right now, but no results yet. (thyroid, vitamin deficiencies, etc.)

We went to an Integrated Medicine MD, who is testing for nutritional deficiencies.

The grainy vision has me very worried.

Since we live in a country setting, I'm wondering about Lyme.

He has not had any symptom related to a bulls-eye rash.

I'm thinking I need to have him tested for Lyme to either confirm or rule it out.

Where do I go?

If nothing is available near Corvallis, I'm fine with going to Washington, California, or frankly, anywhere to meet with an expert.

Ideas?

Posts: 3 | From Corvallis, OR | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
massman
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Should be some naturopathic docs in your area as there is a school in Portland. There are some sites that list NDs by town or zip.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Siciliano
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 15920

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Siciliano     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi [hi] Mrs RP and welcome to our lyme site. We're so glad that you came to us.

I have sent you a private message. Hoping you'll find the information helpful.

Please visit and join in on our great "Medical Questions" forum. Feel free to post all the things you'd like to know about--the members are happy and eager to share their experiences and knowledge with you. You will find some answers there!

You and your son are in our thoughts and prayers. [group hug] [kiss]

--------------------
I'm sorry but I am no longer accepting any private messages due to my own battle with lyme.

Posts: 3897 | From New Hampshire | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Don't go to just any naturopathic doctor as most know very little about lyme and assume if you can just get stronger you can beat anything on your own.

That is so not the case with lyme.

I wasted years after no MD would treat my positive tests for 3 tick-borne infections even with severe symptoms. I wasted more years on several otherwise good NDs who knew something was very wrong but severely underestimated the destruction and nature of lyme. But then, I had no other option.

However, now we have a couple excellent LL ND (naturopathic doctors) in the Portland area and one in Salem, closer to you.

I'll PM you names and contact for the Oregon Lyme Disease Support Group. Sadly, their website is down temporary as it has to be supported by lyme patients themselves who are often strapped for funds.

Sadly, there is not one single LLMD in Oregon as the Oregon Medical Board will not allow any doctor to treat lyme patients for more than about a week or two tops and none of them is familiar with the full range of other tick-borne infections.

Most MDs say lyme just does not exist in Oregon and, if the rare case of someone with a bulls eye rash, they will get nine days' of a single antibiotic and then dismissed.

Recently, even some patients who saw the attached tick, even had the bulls eye rash for the doctor to see have been denied any treatment at all, again, told "there is no lyme in Oregon."

The local stronghold for the IDSA (a group ignorant about lyme) in Oregon is very vocal and very violently opposed to the idea of lyme or any tick infections. He controls all the other doctors in the state. Some doctors have lost their licenses for treating

Fortunately, the NDs are not held by the same licensing board.

The LL NDs who I will send are also members of ILADS so they are well-educated in this field and they treat many lyme patients, some of whom also go out of state to see LLMDs.

===========

www.ilads.org

ILADS

============

Testing:

www.igenex.com

=============

http://www.lymenet.org/SupportGroups/UnitedStates/Oregon/

Oregon Support Group contacts

===============

http://www.lymenet.org/SupportGroups/UnitedStates/California/

California Support Groups.

check out the Bay area. Many from Oregon fly to San Francisco.

================

There are no groups on this listing at this time for Washington State but I will PM you a contact there.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ebbakarin
Member # 16362

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ebbakarin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi! Sent off a PM to you!
Posts: 36 | From Corvallis, OR | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mrsrp
Member # 23710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mrsrp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for all the information.

I have an appointment for my son with a LL ND, in the Portland area the first week of January.

I don't know if what he has is Lyme, but his symptoms are increasing and none of the doctors I've taken him to are sure of anything.

They've done various blood tests and everything's coming back fine.

Since some of the symptoms are common with Lyme, I guess I should have someone look at that.

Symptoms:

Intermittent burning with prickly feeling, like needles poking him.

It happens on face, torso, and legs.

It can begin with him simple sitting there doing nothing.

It can come and go within a few hours.

When he gets up and walks around, within minutes his feet and legs look like he has a bad sunburn, with lots of burning and prickly sensations.

Relief comes by sitting down.

Now, he is complaining of "grainy vision," with lots of little dots swirling around when he looks at the sky, or a solid color wall.

Headaches, stomach aches, and tired muscles in his arms.

Usually any amount of heat in the room, sets his face off with big red blotches, like rosacea

Yesterday, he started shivering feeling cold.

I appreciate any and all ideas.

Thanks

Posts: 3 | From Corvallis, OR | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement