LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Seeking a Doctor » LLMD in MN

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: LLMD in MN
NUTBOBUTT
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7242

Icon 7 posted      Profile for NUTBOBUTT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wondering if anyone has found a good LLMD in MN?
Posts: 109 | From MN | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NP40
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NP40     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
None that I've heard of. May want to check the "Support Group" link on the left of the page, and scroll through for MN. There's a good one in MO., and WI. has a few, but their pretty well booked.

E-mail me, and I'll see what I can come up with.

Posts: 1632 | From Northern Wisconsin | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pab
Member # 904

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pab     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We live in Woodbury, MN and travel to Missouri to Dr. C.

------------------

Posts: 2775 | From MN | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
salydega
Member # 7309

Icon 9 posted      Profile for salydega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am also looking for a LLMD in MN. I live in Maple Grove and have already been treated on IV for 4 weeks by an infectous disease doctor. I thought I was cured(?) and was never told I needed to be retested. and a year later, last week I went in for a normal physical and my nurse suggested I be retested,, found out yesterday that I am still positive with high levels of lyme. So I would really like to find a good LLMD that knows what they are dealing with. I feel that the previous DR obviously did not. A whole year has gone by with this infection still active..
So, if you find one, please pass on to me.

Posts: 73 | From phoenix, az | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NP40
Member # 6711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NP40     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a link that may help: http://www.lymenet.org/SupportGroups/UnitedStates/Minnesota/

You can also e-mail me, and I'll be able to refer a doc or two in WI.

Posts: 1632 | From Northern Wisconsin | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
saly....You'd better make that appointment with Dr C ASAP! He's the best, and you're going to need the best.
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum3/HTML/004140.html http://www.drcharlescrist.com

------------------
oops!
Lymetutu

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
salydega
Member # 7309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for salydega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
anyone find a llmd in MN yet???
Posts: 73 | From phoenix, az | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by salydega:
anyone find a llmd in MN yet???

Been lookin' for one for years!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NUTBOBUTT
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7242

Icon 5 posted      Profile for NUTBOBUTT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone heard of a Dr. V in Winona? I hope I'm not breaking any rules by putting that much in!!! Was given this name by a couple of well known people.
Posts: 109 | From MN | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't have any listed in MN. So be wary. Get references from SEVERAL satisfied customers before making an appointment.
pab
Member # 904

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pab     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think there is someone from this board that is treated by her. (maybe SteveinMN)

Troutscout may know about her too.

------------------

Posts: 2775 | From MN | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
laserred
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6796

Icon 1 posted      Profile for laserred     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn't Tom Grier from the MN support group? He's a poster here....might check with him. IMO...I'd say he'd be the best resource for a MN LLMD.
Posts: 493 | From MidWest NorthWoods | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
laserred
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6796

Icon 1 posted      Profile for laserred     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a doctor mentioned (but I'm not mentioning his name ) in this recently published MN article...so you could maybe call and check him out....

Tick trauma
Tiny insect nearly did in veteran deputy
By JODIE TWEED
Staff Writer

CROSSLAKE -- In his 27-year career as a deputy with the Crow Wing County Sheriff's Department, Jan Mezzenga has had several harrowing experiences.

He wrestled with a large psychiatric patient at Building 22 at the Brainerd Regional Human Services Center three years ago, causing a knee injury that still bothers him today.

Mezzenga once responded to a man's request to speak to a law enforcement officer. When Mezzenga arrived at the home, the suicidal man pulled a double-barreled 10-gauge shotgun on him and told Mezzenga to kill him. The situation eventually ended peacefully.

And in an infamous scene that made statewide headlines last May, Mezzenga's squad car was rammed by a manure spreader and showered with a load of manure by the grandfather of murder suspect William Myears when law enforcement officers obtained a search warrant to search his property in the Erika Dalquist case.

"Stuff happens to me," Mezzenga said with a smile.

But Mezzenga's most life-threatening situation can be traced back to a tiny deer tick.

Mezzenga, 57, nearly died after his spleen inexplicably ruptured last June, causing him to bleed internally. Doctors at St. Joseph's Medical Center in Brainerd removed his spleen in an emergency surgery, along with the near gallon of blood that had pooled in his abdomen.

While doctors don't understand why Mezzenga's spleen suddenly ruptured, they do believe they know what caused the rupture: a rare tick-borne disease that is quickly becoming not so uncommon in the Brainerd lakes area.

Mezzenga was diagnosed with not one, but three tick-borne illnesses: Lyme disease, ehrlichiosis and babesiosis. Babesiosis, which is caused by a parasite that lives on some types of ticks and is similar to malaria, can be fatal for people who have had their spleens removed or have a suppressed immune system.

But Mezzenga's case is the only one, possibly in the world, in which a healthy person's spleen suddenly ruptured because of babesiosis. Mezzenga's spleen samples are now being studied and a St. Joseph's pathologist is co-authoring a case report for a national medical journal about Mezzenga's case.

What is babesiosis?

Babesiosis (pronounced bah-be ze-o-sis) is a tick-borne illness caused by a parasite that lives on some types of ticks.

Although the disease is considered rare, there have been several cases of babesiosis diagnosed in Crow Wing County.

Most cases are mild, but can develop into a severe infection and can be fatal, particularly for people who have had their spleen removed or have a suppressed immune system.

Symptoms are similar to erhlichiosis and include a sudden high fever, chills, sweating, fatigue, poor appetite and a severe headache. Some people with this illness may not have symptoms.

Antibiotics are administered to treat babesiosis, which is diagnosed via a blood test.

Source: Minnesota Department of Health and DNR.

Mezzenga has become a medical anomaly.

"We're hoping it was just a fluke because there are a lot of ticks out there," said Dr. Nick Bernier, director of medical affairs at St. Joseph's. "Why Jan's spleen didn't take care of it (babesiosis), we don't know. We think he was just unlucky."

Mezzenga underwent a hernia operation June 13 and was recuperating at home when his health took a turn for the worse. By June 25, he had lost his appetite, was suffering from a constant fever and chills, was profusely sweating and had lost 10 pounds in five days. He had no energy. Walking to his garage was a chore.

"Basically, I felt like I got run over by a truck," said Mezzenga.

Since he was suffering from pain in his abdomen so soon after his hernia operation, Mezzenga made an appointment with Dr. Ross Bengston, who performed his operation. But Bengston told him the pain couldn't be caused by the surgery and suspected he may be suffering from Lyme disease. He immediately referred Mezzenga to another physician. Mezzenga tested positive for Lyme, was given antibiotics and sent home.

About 3 a.m. Mezzenga, suffering from incredible pain in his abdomen, passed out on his living room floor, eventually waking and managing to sit down in a chair. His wife, Doris, a Crow Wing County sheriff's dispatcher, awoke and found him in the living room. Despite his pain, he didn't want to drive from their Crosslake home to the Brainerd hospital to only be given pain medication, he said. His wife gave her stubborn husband three choices, he said. She told him he could go to the St. Joseph's emergency room by ambulance, go with her in their car or she'd call on-duty sheriff's deputy Tim Clarine to "throw you in a squad car and take you to the hospital."

"I know better than to argue with her," said Mezzenga, who rode with his wife to the hospital.

When Mezzenga arrived at the emergency room, his blood pressure was so low he couldn't be given pain medication. The hospital staff worked vigorously to save his life, running eight IVs in his body at one time in an attempt to get his blood pressure back up so he could undergo surgery. Bengston and Dr. James Dehen performed the life-saving operation in which they had to remove his spleen.

Doctors ran blood tests and discovered that Mezzenga had both Lyme disease and ehrlichiosis. The St. Joseph's pathology department went back over his blood smear to attempt to figure out why his spleen ruptured. It was then they found intracellular parasites in his blood, a sign of babesiosis.

Bernier has since joked with Mezzenga, telling him he won the tick lottery. He had suffered through all three tick-borne diseases found in Crow Wing County.

Bernier said now St. Joseph's Medical Center is performing automatic babesiosis tests on any patients who are sick enough to be hospitalized from Lyme disease or ehrlichiosis.

"It's a sneaky disease," said Bernier, of babesiosis. "If you're not familiar with it, it can sneak up on you."

Bernier said St. Joseph's sees a few cases of babesiosis a year, but usually in older patients without spleens or those with a compromised immune system. Many times healthy people with babesiosis don't realize they have it; their body fights off the disease.

Dr. Dianne Kendall, a pathologist at St. Joseph's, will co-author a case report with another academic physician that they hope to have published in a national medical journal about Mezzenga, though he won't be named.

"It's not unusual for someone to have multiple tick diseases at the same time but having his spleen rupture is unique," said Kendall.

Dr. Joe Howard at Brainerd Medical Center is continuing with follow-up patient care for Mezzenga. Mezzenga will have to take antibiotics for the next seven years to help ward off any illnesses because he no longer has a spleen.

"I've had patients who don't remember having a tick bite," Howard said of those diagnosed with a tick-borne disease. Mezzenga doesn't remember finding a deer tick on him either.

While people who contract a tick-borne illness won't likely become as ill as Mezzenga, they need to be aware that Crow Wing County has an unusually high rate of the diseases. Bernier said St. Joseph's has already had three patients hospitalized with severe cases of ehrlichiosis this spring and the tick season has just begun.

Symptoms of Lyme disease include a bull's-eye rash that may have a reddened area with a clear area in the middle at the original site of the tick bite. It also may appear in several other places in the body. Other symptoms include a fever, headache, chills, muscle and joint pain.

Ehrlichiosis symptoms usually start about 5-10 days after a person has been bitten by an infected deer tick or black-legged tick but can take up to a month to appear. Symptoms are similar to Lyme disease and include a sudden fever of 102 degrees or more, chills, shaking, fatigue, severe headache, muscle and joint pain, nausea and vomiting, cough, stomach pain and a sore throat. It is rare to have a stuffy nose or sinus problems with Ehrlichiosis, which can help distinguish the disease from the flu, a bad cold or sinus trouble. Like Lyme disease, ehrlichiosis can be treated with antibiotics.

Mezzenga has been on medical leave since March and is undergoing physical therapy for his knee injury. He said he's trying to get better so he can return to the sheriff's department, a job he's enjoyed for 27 years.

JODIE TWEED can be reached at [email protected] or 855-5858.

Posts: 493 | From MidWest NorthWoods | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NP40
Member # 6711

Wow, that's an amazing article "Red". I'll copy and paste it over in "Medical".
NUTBOBUTT
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7242

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NUTBOBUTT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks! I actually go to the same clinic as this MD. What's ironic is that I was going to call this writer to do an article on me(as soon as I get my lab tests back) to make people aware of the disease. I actually know the writer personally. Maybe I still will.

Very interesting that I may have a LLMD in my hometown after all!

electric
Member # 6572

Icon 1 posted      Profile for electric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi,
i own a home in minneapolis. i recently moved to san francisco for 6 months to receive treatment and be closer to top notch llmd's. i found a good doc. i am returning to mpls this summer but will continue flying out to the bay every 6-8 weeks for as long as it takes. (unless she thinks a phone consult is fine). unfortunately the are not any really credible lyme clinics in mn. in 1 visit with my llmd along with some blood tests she discovered that i had

1) lyme
2) babesia

after sixteen docs , 5 years, and tons of $$$$ i find a doctor who nails it the head in 3 hours. all she sees is lyme patients. trust me you will not get the level of expertise with a general doc who is trying to learn more about lyme. (which is fine. its just i want someone who knows what they are doing NOW)

GO SEE A REAL LLMD. period.

find a good llmd in the cheapest city to fly to and make an appt. trust me it takes 1-2 months to get appts with the good docs. dont delay.

without taking the risk i would just be getting sicker and sicker. flying to another city just for an appt might be inconvenient but your life is worth it.

electric

Posts: 65 | From minneapolis, san francisco | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NUTBOBUTT
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7242

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NUTBOBUTT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks electric and everybody. I am just putting off the inevitable. I guess I'm kind of waiting for my results from Igenex, although I know I don't need the positive to get treated from a LLMD.

I am currently on an antibiotic (and I don't know if it's possible but I've been herxing for 4 weeks) so I at least feel I can't get any worse at the moment.

Lynette

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by NUTBOBUTT:

I am currently on an antibiotic (and I don't know if it's possible but I've been herxing for 4 weeks) so I at least feel I can't get any worse at the moment.

Lynette

Oh yes! Very possible to herx for 4 wks. I herxed for a year, so believe me it happens.
Hope you find someone soon!

troutscout
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 3121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for troutscout     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By far your best bet is Dr C in Missouri
here is his website...he doesn't mind.
www.drcharlescrist.com

Trout

Posts: 5262 | From North East Iowa | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
salydega
Member # 7309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for salydega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
up
Lymetoo
Member # 743

electric....I know you're happy with the dr in CA, but it would have been cheaper to fly to Springfield, because Dr C only requires you to return every 6 months, instead of every 6 wks. You would be well taken care of.

But I do understand that you like where you are....just throwing out the option in case the traveling back and forth gets to be too much.
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum3/HTML/004140.html

------------------
oops!
Lymetutu

perplexed
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 1913

Icon 14 posted      Profile for perplexed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

up

Posts: 324 | From Lexington, KY, USA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement