LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Seeking a Doctor » Dr. S in NJ- first visit was bad - help! should I go back to him?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dr. S in NJ- first visit was bad - help! should I go back to him?
keh
Member # 9089

Icon 5 posted      Profile for keh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went to see Dr. S last week. He spent probably five to ten minutes with me and then ordered tests from Igenex and a few other labs to test for Lyme, co-infections and Epstein Barr. I had provided him with all of my med records and a summary (one page) of my symptoms for the past five years. He did not ask me any questions and the visit would have been less than 5 minutes if I had not asked him questions about things I learned from this site. He was recommended by people on this site and seems knowledgeable about Lyme... but he did not seem very thorough or thoughtful. Help! Should I go back to him?

[ 01. May 2006, 10:14 AM: Message edited by: keh ]

Posts: 35 | From baltimore, md & nj | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mbroderick
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5220

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mbroderick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An initial visit lasting 5 minutes?!!!!!!!!!!!!! I suppose that he didn't even read what you brought with you, or examine you, for that matter.

If it were me, I wouldn't return. That's not the kind of care that gets people well.

Posts: 2097 | From PA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HEATHERKISS
Member # 6789

Icon 3 posted      Profile for HEATHERKISS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not every LLMD is a perfect fit.

5 minutes seems like a short amount of time that is for sure.

but.......... I go to this LLMD!

and he is great!

for me............

I have to admit the visits aren't that long in the beggining. When you build up a history monthly it seems like he tracks your recovery or lack there of.

He is very knowledgeable about "all" types of rx, therapies, accupunture, vitamins, probiotics and on and on.

I always have a list to ask or go over.

Maybe this is not the LLMD for you. I'm getting better under his care and am so thankful to have him.

--------------------
HEATHER

-

Posts: 1974 | From ABERDEEN, NJ 07747 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
that is terrible! Did you confront him about it while you were there? What a joke!
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AZURE WISH
Member # 804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AZURE WISH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please edit out the city name in the topic title.

We are only supposed to put the state. (NJ)

Thanks

--------------------
multiple chemical sensitvity group:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/multiplechemicalsensitivities

Group for artists. All media welcome:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/creativecorner

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Lyme_Artist

Posts: 3860 | From nj,usa | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
timaca
Member # 6911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for timaca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My first visit with my llmd was almost 5 hours! Yours was 5 minutes! [Eek!]

Timaca

Posts: 2872 | From above 7,000 ft in a pine forest | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
2bostons
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2bostons     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sorry to hear this keh...but like heatherkiss, I also used this doctor for 13 months..I have to admit that he was pretty quiet my first visit..i did a lot of talking and I know that he listened..slowly, I developed a relationship with him..he also ordered bloodwork during my first visit, but this was to rule out co-infections..i had already tested positive for ld..i was really happy with him and his staff..i did bicillin injections for 12 months..it was a long road, but i am fully recovered...
i used dr.e and was very unhappy with her..used her for about 4 months..i stayed with her too long..i should have switched sooner..my advice to you is that you remain unhappy with your treatment ..you should always seek a second opinion

Posts: 125 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
secondtimearound
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for secondtimearound     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have only good things to say about him but like you, in the beginning, I felt rushed too.

I didn't treat with him that long because I was just about better but felt like I was missing something and it turned out to be ehrliciosis. He is also treating my 2 kids and my wife.

We combine meds and rife and my family is doing well, knock on wood.

All My Best,
Scott

--------------------
BTW - I am NOT a medical professional - just speaking from MY own personal experience.

Posts: 266 | From Philadelphia | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
iceskater
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8655

Icon 1 posted      Profile for iceskater     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went to this physician for a while but had problems returning. Good doc. No longer driving and having seriours issues that prevent traveling. Trying to work with another llmd a little bit closer. Was satisfied, but my travel problems are my limiting factor at this point.He seems very knowledgable and caring. Ultimately , you have to ddecide who you are comfortable with. My problem is just finding something that will help!
Posts: 719 | From Delaware | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
flyers999
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 1397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for flyers999     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would stick with Dr. S. , if I were you. I have never been to him, but heard a lot of good things about him.

If you insist on getting a second opinion, my doc is 70 miles south. He always spends a long time with new patients, at least 45 minutes. Followup visits are 20 minutes also. He'll go over every test result with you even if it is normal. I feel so fortunate to have him as my doctor and would not go to another.

PM me if you want his contact info.

--------------------
Jack

Posts: 385 | From South New Jersey, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LymeinNJ
Member # 7805

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LymeinNJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My wife and I both see Dr. S in NJ. Our experience has been terrific. After 11 months, I am out of the woods and consistently back to near 100%. Your visit sounds remarkably different from our experience, though I agree with others that you need to find a LLMD who is a good fit. With a science background, I am constantly pulling information from clinicians and peer-review literature on treatment including non-traditional. He has knowledge is stellar. I can also see how his laid back style might throw some off. I have a research type a personality which works well with Dr. S.

Dr. S. and his staff are also incredibly responsive to calls between visits. I have found him to be an incredible advocate for his patients.

Wishing you well on the road to recovery.

Posts: 44 | From NJ | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol B
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keh-Did you ever read my PM-there is an LLMD, Dr. L in Maryland that is very personable and patient-my initial visit was two hours ? It is a good fit for me.
Carol

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement