LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Today show guest with Lyme

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Today show guest with Lyme
SuZ-Q
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5903

Icon 5 posted      Profile for SuZ-Q     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did anyone see the Today show this morning? My husband and daughter where watching Katie Couric interview a guest (an actor) who said he moved from his home in CT due to getting Lyme while living there. Katie quickly changed the subject.

My family can't remember the name of the actor - anyone out there know who it was? AND - Why is Lyme such a taboo subject with the news and talk show media? Last year I sent a detailed email to Oprah requesting a show on Lyme and never got a response. I know there have been recent posts regarding enlisting Oprah as an ally. I think the only chance of that is if some of her fav. authors with Lyme were guests.

Thanks,
Suzy

Posts: 260 | From Virginia | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
realtors in ct and ny pretend lymes not a problem because it will lower property values.

health insurance and drug companies have their own reasons for denying an illness is lyme...all so they can save money now and make more money in the futue.

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shazdancer
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 1436

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shazdancer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ooh, I saw that, too, suZ-Q, and didn't catch his name, either!

Katie was just being chatty with the guy. It seems they know each other, and she was asking him if he still had the place in CT. He said no, because a lot of things happened, including him getting Lyme disease.

Katie just did one of those "too much information" takes, and practically pushed him, kiddingly, out of camera range. It seemed like this was supposed to be just a light-hearted spot, and there wasn't time to get into a discussion about his Lyme symptoms, diagnosis, or treatment. Too bad. I would've liked to have heard his story on the show. But at least the word "Lyme" got out there.

Regards,
Shaz

Posts: 1558 | From the Berkshires | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SuZ-Q
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5903

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SuZ-Q     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just get so frustrated!! We really need some celebrity to take us on as their "cause." There has to be some venue for us to reach the public with better information. Public service announcements on TV like are done for AIDS by celebs, etc.

I am tired of the discrimination we(personally and as a group) have received from everyone from teachers to doctors, to co-workers to insurance companies (we've only been approved for 28 days of daughter's PICC line, but prescribed for 6 to 18 months) to even close family! GGRRRRRR. This is such a nightmare!! I would like to annihilate every tick, mite, flea, mosquito, etc. in the world!

Sorry - bad day. Needed to vent.

Now that I have vented, everyone have a safe and happy holiday season!!

Somewhat Less Than Sane (at the moment) Suzy

Posts: 260 | From Virginia | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cantgiveupyet
Member # 8165

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cantgiveupyet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Darn it i missed it! i would like to know the actors name too. I like knowing who out there has this dreaded disease!!

I cant stand the discrimination especially from coworkers.....its just not right. Another thing everytime i go (twice now) to get my abx filled they dont have the full quantity.....is doxy that popular!!! and is ceftin that popular that they dont have enough...so they ration it until more comes in!!! Another drug company nightmare!!!

i would go on....but i have to go eat and my hand is getting a bit numb.
Maybe someone saw the actor today, i might try doing a search on the today show website to see.

--------------------
"Say it straight simple and with a smile."

"Thus the task is, not so much to see what no one has seen yet,
But to think what nobody has thought yet, About what everybody sees."

-Schopenhauer

pos babs, bart, igenex WB igm/igg

Posts: 3156 | From Lyme limbo | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JillF
Member # 5553

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JillF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried to find who it was but I did find this

http://www.canlyme.com/landau2004.html

Posts: 1485 | From USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shazdancer
Member # 1436

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shazdancer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember Brooke's story, Jill. We watched it on the Today show. And we read it in the hometown press, as we used to live in the same town, where my family and I also contracted Lyme. The CanLyme story summarizes that coverage neatly.

I thought Brooke's story was handled really well. The only questionable detail was whether or not antibiotics were delivered "into her heart" as some stories indicate, or if it was a central line.

It will be interesting to see if the Today show will be able to continue with accurate and helpful stories on Lyme issues. More and more credible people/celebrities are being infected, and are speaking out. In CT, nearly everyone seems to know someone who got very ill with this disease. They can't silence us all.

Regards,
Shaz

Posts: 1558 | From the Berkshires | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement