LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » can anyone sew me a tick costume?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: can anyone sew me a tick costume?
trails
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 1620

Icon 6 posted      Profile for trails     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can pay you.

I will fax or send you my basic ideas/plans/size/ etc.

I am going to start wearing it around town and also start hanging out at the state capitol.

I am barely getting anything else done anyways.

I am NOT kidding. I am currently living in CA and the ignorance is SHAMEFUL. I live only 1 hour from Sacramento and have family there. I will stay with them sometimes and just march around there all by my lonesome and at least FEEL like I am doing something.

I have written letters, gotten letters in reply--(to my reps)Tired of going WITH the system. Want some direct action.

Anyone close by? Wanna come have tick-born-tea with me in Sac?

Trails

Posts: 1950 | From New Mexico | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Linda LD
Member # 6663

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Linda LD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
trails,

I could not do it--but I know a lady who could...my husband has gone home to meet the plumber--but I will ask him to call her!

I am totally on board--I wanted to get the guy who climbs tall buildings to do that with a tick costume on!

Maybe we could have a troop of ticks--we could march on Washington D.C.!

Seriously--I will ask hubby to call Rhonda! She knows our struggle and she likes to sew. I am taking a hit 'cause I wanted her to make me a quilt--but for "the cause" I will take the hit!

Linda [Smile]

Posts: 1171 | From Knoxville, TN US | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trails
Member # 1620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trails     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you! Yes, there was a thread about the guy who climbs the buildings a year ago here--was it you who said that then?

There WAS a march on washington....I forget when---when is the next one I AM THERE!

Posts: 1950 | From New Mexico | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Linda LD
Member # 6663

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Linda LD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hubby says he is not sure she will make a costume.

I asked him to ask--when I was sending stuff to Baghdad she hand made all these beautiful stockings for soldiers she had never meet...

So I would think she would be up to be paid for a costume...

Hubby is waiting for the plumber--hopefully he will call when he gets back to work!

Linda

Posts: 1171 | From Knoxville, TN US | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Linda LD
Member # 6663

Yes, it was me that wanted that man to dress as a tick and climb a ski scraper!

He is french and he never responded to my email...

I found you a baby tick you can carry, go to:
http://www.costumes4less.com/Groupdetail.asp?Sid=&Tid=&sku=VA774

Hubby said you can find one online--he thinks he is the king of finding things online--we will just put him to work!

L

trails
Member # 1620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trails     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OMG! That is the grossest and best idea! That thing is SCAREY!!! We should all have those things attached to our necklaces or something---much more of a statement than the green bracelets...huh?
cantgiveupyet
Member # 8165

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cantgiveupyet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i think it is a great idea. Ever see those huge Rats they have outside of compaines when unions go on strike........we need a huge tick just like it.!!!

I cant sew but i think the costume idea is a good oe.

--------------------
"Say it straight simple and with a smile."

"Thus the task is, not so much to see what no one has seen yet,
But to think what nobody has thought yet, About what everybody sees."

-Schopenhauer

pos babs, bart, igenex WB igm/igg

Posts: 3156 | From Lyme limbo | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like your idea too. Best wishes on finding your seamstress especially one with a good sense of humor.

Bettyg

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymemomtooo
Member # 5396

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymemomtooo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trails, I have made one but it isn't great..I adapted ideas for 2 spider costume patterns..I need to make some renovations to make it more comfortable..

I did it in lyme green..And made it so it attached to my back, with straps...The mechanics are covered by a green vest that I made.

The head was a separate fitted cap..With mouth pieces that were as close as possible to what I saw in a photo..I used a small wooden pine tree from a craft store for the shaft and got some plumbing supply parts and foam for the sides of the mouth. All were either spray painted or covered by pieced fabric.

For the body I used two pieces of shaped foam(I used an elec. knife to do this) and glued them together for the proper contour of the body..I made fabric tubes for the legs. They had elec wire inside so they were flexible..

To attach arms to the body, I used a 22 oz? plastic soda bottle for each attachment...I cut off the top and threw away the rest..I wanted to use it for a moveable joint. It was inside the body at each leg attachment.I left an opening in the side seams for each leg.

It permitted me to get a contour joint and the wire went from the leg, thru the body and attached thru the cap(I had drilled holes for this) and was twisted inside the remaining part of the soda bottle.

I stuffed the legs and tied it in places to look like joints. I attached clips on the end of the top front leg so they could grip..Some type of clip could be used for each leg..

Underneath, I had a lyme green warm up suit..

HOpe this helps..I have thought many times that it would be a great idea to do this at the state capitol but I can not leave my daughter to do this.

Go for it...And have brochures ready to hand out..lymemomtooo

Posts: 2360 | From SE PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trails
Member # 1620

Wow that sounds AWSOME lymemomtoo!

Any chance you have a photo of it?

I am such a visual person, so the discription was alittle lost on me.

I want to make one too! You are VERY creative to have come up with all that! What did you wear it for?

bettyg
Unregistered

Yes, wouldn't it be great for LYMEMOMTOO to be our lyme board's poster/tick person? ha

I too would love to see her in the outfit; very creative.

Bettgy

Moose
Member # 8545

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Moose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trails-

Your idea of a dressing as a tick is brilliant, yet scary as a costume.

The idea of wearing fake ticks on a necklace is SCARIER!! Eeek! I am not sure that our lyme brains could register the fact that it's fake everytime we see it on our bodies.

Posts: 90 | From Maryland | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymemomtooo
Member # 5396

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymemomtooo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I made the costume for last year's May (Tick Awareness Month) Meeting for our support group..A couple of our members wrote 2 skits..I was the tick..

I do not have any photos but it is on a video..My daughter has a decent camera so might be able to do some photos of the costume. I am not up to dressing up..

I forgot that I also put lyme green craft paint on my face and had some weird yellow safety sun glasses..(Unfortunately they were lost a few months ago at Dr. VTS's.)

I do not have a clue about how to take a photo and put it on here..I am definitely technically challenged..I even needed "Tree" to do a tick poster for me once.

But I will try..Also if anyone knows how to reach Miss Tick, I have seen a photo of her at a conference or something in a black tick suit.LMT

ps..I chose lime green because our support group always uses lime green for everything and we do talks to youth groups..I felt it would be less frightening for the kids..

I sat on my porch and wore it for Halloween and unfortunately some little kids were still afraid of it..But every child that got a candy bar had a tick card rubber banded to it..

Posts: 2360 | From SE PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Linda LD
Member # 6663

tick card rubberbanded..

That is brilliant!

We all need to remember that come Halloween!

trails
Member # 1620

lymemomtoo--take the pic using digital and we can PM about how to post it....it is VERY easy. I just learned myself, thanks Michelle M!
Linda LD
Member # 6663

trails,

I had a brain storm!!!

Did you see the movie about the "Traveling Pants?"

What if we had a travelling tick suit.

What if every month someone new got the tick suit and it was their responsibility (with their support group) to protest--city hall, the newspaper (for not running a story in my case). The docotr who wont recognize the disease--who ever!

Then we could learn as the tick suit went from city to city we would all learn what worked and what didn't!

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

trails
Member # 1620

I havent seen it yet---maybe tonite I should rent?

That sounds like a GREAT idea and way to connect the support groups across the nation/world!

First we really need a costume! I dont think I am up to making one like lymemomtoo did but I want one like that!

[spinning smile]

lymemomtooo
Member # 5396

I hope this works, I went to the store and got film for my polaroid and it has been miserable trying to get this into something that I can copy and paste so here goes..

Well..It did not work..It will not let me highlight my layout of photos so that I could paste them here..

If anyone is still interested, please send me a pm with an email or snail mail and I will send them to you..

I did the different views of the whole tick with head on, shots of the body front and underneath where I put two straps and head and head with beanie covering removed..

Oh well..I tried guys but I am pretty technically challenged..lymemomtooo

trails
Member # 1620

[bow]

Dont despair lymemomtoo! We will get those photos up here and you shall become FAMOUS!

Am gonna PM you now.

Michelle M
Member # 7200

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michelle M   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PM'd her already with offer of photo post help! But anyone not on California time might be tucked into bed already !! Wish Sacra-tomato were closer, Trails!

Michelle

Posts: 3193 | From Northern California | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymemomtooo
Member # 5396

Thanks so much..You are all so literate in regards to the photo thing..I can't even do smilies.

Everyone that has pm'ed me so far with an address will be getting the email photo..

Pinchot Gail was first so she probably is either trying to get it on now or getting ready for her support group meeting..So maybe by tomorrow..

Trails, I do not know if I can take time to try to do another one, but I may be able to at least cut out some of the fabric parts..Maybe you can find someone to help sew them up..And I will try to send better step by step directions, if my senile brain can remember it correctly..

You have been so generous to my daughter that I would like to repay the favor.

I did not use any of the spider pattern stuff. I had my daughter trace the shape of my back for size and I modified it to the basic tick body shape.

I did go to a lot of craft and fabric stores and pick brains and even went to elec. supply and hardware stores for components.

When I first started, the first suggestion I got was to use a garbage can lid..I knew that would be more rustic than I wanted so blew that one off.

lou
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know a woman in NJ who has one, or had one. Don't know if she still does or whether it would fit you.

Maybe you should coorindate your Sacramento efforts with other CA activists since they are hard at work trying to get things done thru the legislature.

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michelle M
Member # 7200

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michelle M   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lymemom, the photos and work you did are just unbelievable for detail! YIKES!!!

I would be happy to post 'em as I'm just sitting around the house today but you've indicated Pinchot Gail is going to, so I will hold my horses, err, ticks...

Just want to say: WOW! You seamstress!

[woohoo]

Michelle

Posts: 3193 | From Northern California | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymemomtooo
Member # 5396

Thanks Michele..I guess it is from doing so many Halloween costumes for the kids over the years.

Pinchot Gail is also having some trouble but I am going to a meeting today and will let her borrow the original photos..

Hopefully she can get it to work and they would not have been copied so many times as I had to do..lymemomtooo

trails
Member # 1620

-
trails
Member # 1620

OMG! It worked!

There it is everyone! Isnt it just FANTASTIC? I am totally in awe of her skills.

Thank you so much for sharing this with us! I am determined to get/make something similar!

Who else wants to go to sacra-tomato with me and drink tick tea with the polly-tickers?

Michelle M
Member # 7200

OK, since there seems to be trouble posting, I went ahead and took liberties -- hope that's OK! I "de-noised" them a bit too. Let me repeat - WOW! What a lot of work went into this costume!

Trails, if you posted it, my apologies, but I can't see it nowhere's!!

Michelle

-

bettyg
Unregistered

Michelle, your photos came out really great. WOW, am I impressed too!

Trails, yours did NOT come out; it shows a box only. Suggest you edit and remove your box post or folks will try getting it to open without going further down to find Michelle.

Thank you both for trying to post!

Mom, what a great imagination you have; thanks for taking time to send to these ladies!

trails
Member # 1620

interesting, when I open it, it shows the photos I posted and Michelle's photos too.

Any idea why MM? How come I can see the photos I posted and no one else can? They show up the same as you posted them MM.

Bizarre.

Michelle M
Member # 7200

Hmm, I dunno, Trails. I'm using Netscape 7.2 browser..yours? Maybe your photo website "knows" your IP address but won't let others "see" your photos? I use pBase for photo storage. I see only a little line in your post.

Though the other day I surely saw your beach photo loud & clear!

Go figger!!

Michelle

cantgiveupyet
Member # 8165

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cantgiveupyet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
awesome costume [Cool]

--------------------
"Say it straight simple and with a smile."

"Thus the task is, not so much to see what no one has seen yet,
But to think what nobody has thought yet, About what everybody sees."

-Schopenhauer

pos babs, bart, igenex WB igm/igg

Posts: 3156 | From Lyme limbo | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trails
Member # 1620

I bet it is the IP address thing you said. I pasted them right from my yahoo email account where lymemom sent them too. Maybe that is too provate for everyone else's computer to know?

This stuff is pretty much grek to me. But thank you for posting them the RIGHT way.

Will keep my posts as are--as it is pertinent to the rest of the thread now...maybe others will jump in and tell us where I went wrong.

just don
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for just don     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard or read on another site that it is YOUR hardrive doing the viewing. In other words when you are on line and up and going here, it is possible to 'see' your picture. After you leave it doesnt have the right memory.

Something about having to post it on a photo site and refer it here then., It reads the photo site for viewing here. That is the little I know, not enough to be able to do it myself.

Someday I am going to corner somebody to show me how someday or take a class or somethng.

--------------------
just don

Posts: 4548 | From Middle of midwest | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymemomtooo
Member # 5396

Good job to the techno wizards...lymemomtooo
trails
Member # 1620

yep Don that's the deal--you have to post the photos first to a WWW site.

I thought I could just put them here from my email inbox , but that doesnt work.

The other photo I posted of my vacation I did post to a web site first...that's how come you could see it Michelle.

It wasnt just a dream I tell ya!

OptiMisTick
Member # 399

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OptiMisTick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

[ 09. March 2006, 02:21 PM: Message edited by: OptiMisTick ]

Posts: 1338 | From Above the Clouds | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Linda LD
Member # 6663

That costume is so good that when I saw the mouth, IT GROSSED ME OUT!

Good Job!

L

lymemomtooo
Member # 5396

To "Miss Tick" thanks for responding for trails, etc..I did not know how to contact you but had seen a photo of your suit..It actually was the inspiration for me to make one..

It was a very good idea to help promote the cause.

I would think yours would be easier to do but at the time, I winged it..lymemomtooo

trails
Member # 1620

Thank you so much optimistick!

I am trying to put the words into a picture in my head...it is not going well...but I will reread the post and see if it makes sense.

Direct action/street theater is a well known non violent method of civil disobedience that has been documented to WORK for other social causes. Why not for Lyme?

Any chance of a photo to post here?

hopeful123
Member # 3244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hopeful123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what a creative costume!! [bow]

--------------------
some days you're the bug, some days you're the windshield  -

Posts: 1160 | From NY | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trails
Member # 1620

Up for any other creative geniuses who can sew/make me a costume??
jons
Member # 8867

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jons     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What a creative crowd! the tick costumes are wonderful! Please start new post under "tick pix" -- so they are easy for people to find -- especially if the pix of the other costume are posted! (how easy is it to move posts?)

They may inspire others.

Idea for making legs: easy and cheap legs are old "nylons" - black stuffed with anything, lighter than socks, cheaper and can be longer!
I use them for black cat tails and other similar things in different colors... you get the idea!

--------------------
mom & co.

Posts: 31 | From ny | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

breaking this up to more paragraphs.....

quote:
Originally posted by OptiMisTick:

I am the lady who wore a Tick costume to some protests and to the general March On Washington in the Capitol Greens, (but not to Congressional appointments, I wore a suit for those as we in our state had delegates that hit every one of our Reps and senators which I coordinated).

There is an easy kids' pumpkin costume in the back of one of the major pattern catalogs in your local fabric shop.

Essentially it is a drawstring ensemble, which goes around the torso of the body up to the neck.

I adapted it to adult size, and really, you wouldn't need the pattern, just figure out your length from neck which is where the top drawstrings, to under your rear, which is where the bottom drawstrings, then multiply that length by approx. 1 and 1/2 in order to allow for the costume to puff out, maybe 1-2/3. For circumference, that is up to you.

How "fat" do you want the costume to be to be in sync with your height? You can figure that one out. You end up with one long piece of fabric, which you seam up the two ends to each other. Figure out where your arms go, and cut two slits and hem those.

I sewed a "hem" of about 1 inch on bottom and top which I ran elastic drawstrings through.

When I got close to my destinations, I purchased a local paper - or three - and stuffed the costume with large wads of newspaper. I can't carry anything, so this was the best plan.

It was a black costume, and so I wore a black knit long-sleeved shirt, and black exercise pants, and black flats, with black socks over them.

I made "legs" out of stuffed long calf-length socks, (newspaper) and pinned the cuffs to the side of the costume. They were lined with clear fishing line on the toe ends, and then a loop of fishing line went over each wrist.

I had black gloves, one pair had feathery wrist band, from K-mart, I was stylin'!!

When I moved my arms, my "legs" moved as well due to being linked by the fishing line. I had a little Tick Air Dance with all legs waving in the air.

I found a picture of the tick mouth parts online eventually. My first mouth parts looked like a Saw but Lovey designed and drew a tick mouth part head which we cut of the stiff foam board

and sprayed black, then cut a piece out of it that was the same size as my plastic headband from the store.

We wired the black mouth-parts piece onto the headband and bobby-pinned the whole thing once it was on my head, for security.

I was a Stylin' Tick, that's for sure.

I wore it for emphasis, to MAKE PEOPLE LOOK which was the whole point.

Lyme disease has been swept UNDER THE CARPET too many times and every time we step back and act nice and go along with it, we are enabling this to continue.

I wanted people to LOOK at the tick and to ask questions and point, and ask their parents if they were kids.

At one protest at the NY OPMC, the chagrined officials could not believe we were protesting on their doorstep, I heard one of them mutter "They Even Brought a TICK!!." This seemed to be an embarrassment to them.

The good thing is it humanized our rallies and passersby came closer. We were not just 'another group of perhaps crazies,' in certain places when folks see some kind of commotion going on with a lot of people, they cross the street to avoid it.
Some places are also used to a lot of protests and would not stop to look without some "hook."

In this case people would come closer to see "What the Heck....."

There were a few NaySayers who felt the costume was Undignified. Needless to say they have not advanced the cause very far.

The costume served a purpose, to make people look, and come closer, and I handed out literature on Lyme disease and our actions.

It's currently packed away. At certain protests we chose to go dressed up to emphasize that Lyme disease was striking people from all walks of life, not just "Treehuggers," which I have also been called due to my extensive environmental works and advocacy.

As my health waned, I was not able to stand up very long and use the costume.

MisTick shall ride again!! She used to chronicle the various events afterward online, until enough other folks in LymeLand pitched in to give an account to those who were at a distance or who could not make it to our various actions.

In The Day we had people fly in from many, many states as far as CA, MI, FL and more. All parts represented.

Anyone is welcome to borrow my idea for the costume. You can probably make it for under $15 including the headband and foam board mouthpiece if you promise to give the socks back to your significant other!!!

I will say that I met my goal, which was to make people look and come closer.

One infamous troll actually thought that the stuffed costume was my full body size. That was funny.

I would advise, if its a local paper, you may need more than three copies to stuff the costume.

Prior to one event I jumped into a NY City cab in costume, with an entourage which helped to stuff the costume. The driver, typical New York, was completely unfazed by carrying an Arachnid in his cab.

Good luck all!! Would love to see Tick-ettes across the USA so please feel free to borrow this idea!! Make sure to have literature with you concerning LYme disease.

As I said, I made the bottom drawstring out of elastic, here's a little secret, and I had a pocket inside where I carried literature.

When I needed more, I just stepped off to one side and reached under the elastic, into the costume for more!! Managed to do it very privately so as not to receive odd looks.

Good luck to all!!!

Wow, Mis, I really enjoyed your write-up and great detailed instructions for others. Taxi cab driver not being effected in the least way was hilarious. Thanks for sharing for all!
OptiMisTick
Member # 399

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OptiMisTick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

[ 09. March 2006, 02:23 PM: Message edited by: OptiMisTick ]

Posts: 1338 | From Above the Clouds | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymemomtooo
Member # 5396

Miss Tick, that was great..I had never seen a close-up..the suit is really nice..lymemomtooo
trails
Member # 1620

FANTAS---TICK COSTUME!!!
and photo!

Now I am starting to get the picture....

I need to make one.

I really do.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement